PDA

View Full Version : PC 890 Router Height Adjuster

Rick Hubbard
05-09-2008, 1:21 PM
This morning I stopped at the local HD that is closing and picked up a PC 892 router from their display section for cheap (no manual, tools or case).

When I arrived at work I jumped on line to find the manual and came across a little doodad that is supposed to be a through-the-tabletop height adjuster for that router.

I’m intrigued. How does this thing work, or better still, does it work at all?

Thanks,

Rick

Greg Hines, MD
05-09-2008, 1:34 PM
This morning I stopped at the local HD that is closing and picked up a PC 892 router from their display section for cheap (no manual, tools or case).

When I arrived at work I jumped on line to find the manual and came across a little doodad that is supposed to be a through-the-tabletop height adjuster for that router.

I’m intrigued. How does this thing work, or better still, does it work at all?

Thanks,

Rick

The wrench does work. You have to drill a pair of holes through your insert plate to match the extra holes through the factory base to access both the height adjuster knob and the motor lock. The height adjuster wrench has gradations on it to mark how much you have moved the bit, down to the 1/128th of an inch, as I recall (I am at the office right now, and cannot recall). You do not have to get the one from Porter Cable, however, and can use a long socket for it if you want. I do not know the size off the top of my head, but you should be able to figure it out if you go that route.

The set that you get also comes with an offset wrench for changing bits above the table, though I do not use it. I have the D-handle version, with through-the-handle dust collection, and I use the dust shield that comes with it, so I cannot change bits above the table. That is no big deal, as you can easily remove the motor from the base for that.

I also do not like the spindle lock on it. That is your choice, but I have never cared for spindle locks on any tool like that, in favor of two wrenches.

Overall, I think you will like your new router. I certainly like mine.

Doc

Steve Flavin001
05-09-2008, 1:40 PM
predecessor 690 router has the spiral revolving thread to adjust, the 890 has a thumb knob that raises/lowers in marked 128th increments. The tool you are referring to is a long T-handled allen wrench +/- 3/8" and it is used as an insert into the top of the adjustment knob.

In the interest of full disclosure, I will tell you I can't find mine (the allen) because I tossed it somewhere and have never looked for it since (several years), immediately upon buying the whole package.

It's intention is that the case was supposed to serve as a poor man's router table. :eek: If you are using this in a (real) router table it will save you having to grope for the knob under the table, but in reality, after a few minutes you would rip out that magnificant beard shown in your avitar photo of yourself :D , and replace it with a router-lifter-upper product.

I have my 890 pretty dedicated to my router table in a saw top extension lifter and it is great! The 890 is noticeably quieter than the 690 and my wife no longer calls the noise police when I run it v. my 690 routers. :cool:

The variable power and other advertised features are great - you will enjoy it - it even has ergo rubber knobs instead of the bakelite hard ones on the 690.

Rick Hubbard
05-09-2008, 2:19 PM
I also do not like the spindle lock on it. That is your choice, but I have never cared for spindle locks on any tool like that, in favor of two wrenches.

Doc

This sounds like good news. Does this mean I have the option of using 2 wrenches (like on my 690) or is it set up so I MUST use the spindle lock?

Rick

Rick Hubbard
05-09-2008, 2:30 PM
My router table has a fold-up top and I'm really accustomed to lifting it to remove the router for bit changes and to make height adjustments to the 690.

It's intention is that the case was supposed to serve as a poor man's router table. :eek:

HUH??? You ARE kidding, right?

If not, sounds to me like the height adjustment tool might only be helpful itf I can find an OEM case to use for a table :D

Rick

Greg Hines, MD
05-09-2008, 3:07 PM
This sounds like good news. Does this mean I have the option of using 2 wrenches (like on my 690) or is it set up so I MUST use the spindle lock?

Rick

The same wrenches that you use for you 690 will work on the 890. What I did was tape and then rubberize the handles of two pairs of wrenches together, so that they are double thick. Then they fit the collet and motor stem better. I tried the spindle lock one time, and found it irritating to use and haven't tried it since. I forget which brand it is (maybe Freud??) where when you raise the bit all the way up, you automatically engage the spindle lock, but that is the only way that I would use one. I know Triton locks the spindle automatically when you go to change bits.

I think you will find that the height adjustment works good for your new router. I particularly like the fact that I can unlock the router above the table too. That was one of the reasons I chose it. I cannot figure out why other router manufacturers let you raise or lower the router from above the table, and then have to fumble under again to lock it down.

Doc

John Pahl
05-09-2008, 3:10 PM
Rick,
You don't have to use the spindle lock. Like Rick, I still use two wrenches to change bits just as I do on my 690. Maybe it's just habit but I like the two wrenches better.

John

Steve Flavin001
05-10-2008, 12:44 AM
In the generalities we failed to cut to the chase in the essence of the allen wrench thing - The allen wrench is a modest T-handle. Raising the router any appreciable height, as is required to surface for example, requires a lot of wrist twisting to travel any distance. :( Probably generated lots of carpel tunnel....

A real raiser has a true offset crank handle for normal rapid full arm rotation, sparing the wrist. THAT is the real reason the allen wrench bit the dust so fast. :cool:

And, no, I really wasn't kidding, and really couldn't believe it myself, re using the plastic case as a stand alone table. Seems to me that feature should have been captured for some bad design record book, except that it does hold ice and drinks quite well. :D :)

Finally, the collet is the very same part on both routers, notwithstanding the partial success of the locking mechanism at the top of the router. :p

Mike Henderson
05-10-2008, 1:26 AM
I have the 890 in my table. When I started with it, I used the "above the table" adjuster. But soon, for my table, I just started reaching below and making the adjustments. As far as I'm concerned, the adjustments work fine. I've run a lot of stuff through my router table and never wished I had a dedicated lift.

At school, we have dedicated lifts (and BIG routers). While they're nice, they're no better than my set up with the 890 (as far as I'm concerned). Of course, I'm cheap so it'd be tough to get me to spend the couple hundred dollars for a dedicated lift.

If I was doing really big cuts or production work on the router I might change my mind. The few times I've done raised panels, I just take small cuts.

Mike