PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Recommendations

Ron Ainge
05-09-2008, 12:59 PM
I posted the other day that I have a new mustard monster, well last night I looked for a chuck (I have 5) that would fit the new lathe. I thought they were all 1 1/4 inch threads with inserts in them, well to my surprise I only have one chuck that will fit my new lathe without buying new inserts. I will do that but I was wondering what the people that have the larger lathes would recommend for the larger pieces that I want to turn with this lathe.

Bernie Weishapl
05-09-2008, 1:11 PM
Ron I like the big Vicmarc I have. I have the smaller Vic to and it holds well.

Benjamin Dahl
05-09-2008, 2:17 PM
Ron, I have a oneway stronghold and like that. Have heard good things about the vicmarc.
Ben

Jim Becker
05-09-2008, 3:13 PM
I use a Talon for most of my work on Stubbalina because I had it for my previous lathe and have several jaw sets, but plan on a Stonghold to dedicate to "large" things. I happen to like the OneWay jaw design, although I like the key setup on the Vicmarc better.

Scott Hubl
05-09-2008, 3:17 PM
I bought the TITAN. From Lee Valley they are discontinuing carrying Teknatool and have had the Nova chucks and accessories on clearance. I bought the Titan a couple weeks before I pulled the trigger on the Gold 3520B, knowing I was going to buy it sooner or later.

They still have a few items left in stock, I believe there all at 30% off reg. prices

The Titon is BIG.:D A very nice chuck for larger turnings.

Hilel Salomon
05-09-2008, 4:37 PM
Got Strongholds, Vicmarcs and Supernovas. I hate changing jaws. The Vicmarcs are truly fantastic, especially if you will be turning large bowls and/or coring. The strongholds are what their name implies, but I have yet to rechuck a bowl without some substantial work on the piece. That said, Oneway tech support is fantastic, their price at Hartville tools is excellent (Oneway went up, but Hartville didn't) and they are very good chucks. Another alternative for you is a relatively cheap adapter (your current spindlehead size to 1.25x8. I still use my old axminster which is 1x8 with the adapter.

Ron Ainge
05-09-2008, 5:07 PM
thanks for the replys. I will get new adapters for the new lathe but I will be looking for a larger chuck to fully utilize the capasity of this new lathe and I wanted to see what others recommend. thanks again

Matt Hutchinson
05-09-2008, 6:53 PM
Hey Ron, congratulations. From personal experience I can tell you that the 5 1/2" Vicmarc is a rock. I have held some massive bowl blanks using its dovetail jaws. In fact, I think it's safe to say that only a VB-36 lathe could handle wood that would strain this chuck. Ok, so maybe I am a little biased, but no joke.....it's a super duty chuck. It's the only chuck I own, recommended to me by a full-time turner who had wrecked other chucks. If I could afford two more I would get them. Ahhh....someday I hope.

However, I don't doubt that the other large chucks out there are still great. I just haven't used them.

Hutch

Art kraft
05-09-2008, 10:02 PM
Ron, I like to use three jaw chucks from metal lathes,self centering. I also use an independent four jaw. I have an 8" and 16" I can rechuck pieces to within .015" never had a piece come out yet.