PDA

View Full Version : Bit broken off in Impact driver.

Ben Rafael
05-09-2008, 10:20 AM
I had a bit break off in my impact driver and I cannot get it out. I thought that the hammer function might knock it out but I cannot get the hammer function to engage since their is no way to get the bit to grip on to something.
Any suggestions for getting it out?

Brad Schmid
05-09-2008, 10:59 AM
I'm envisioning a philips or square drive bit broke off flush or inside the chuck? If that's accurate, I've had it happen to me too and I got it out by taking the broken off piece with a small "dab" of JB weld and gluing the 2 pieces back together, then when dry, just pulled it out. 'course ya gotta be careful not to JB weld the whole thing into the chuck :D

Ben Rafael
05-09-2008, 11:03 AM
I was thinking of using epoxy but it broke below flush. My concern is that just a speck of epoxy getting into the wrong place would essentially make the tool useless. If I dont get any other ideas I may have to try it though.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Ben...How big in diameter is the piece in the impact driver?

That could determine how to get it out.

J. Z. Guest
05-09-2008, 11:28 AM
This seems like a very good idea. It will only just take the tiniest dab of JB Weld to do the job, so it doesn't squish out and glue it all together.

I'm envisioning a philips or square drive bit broke off flush or inside the chuck? If that's accurate, I've had it happen to me too and I got it out by taking the broken off piece with a small "dab" of JB weld and gluing the 2 pieces back together, then when dry, just pulled it out. 'course ya gotta be careful not to JB weld the whole thing into the chuck :D

Dan Lautner
05-09-2008, 11:31 AM
A strong magnet.

Dan

Brad Schmid
05-09-2008, 11:33 AM
A strong magnet.

Dan

This might work, especially a rare earth magnet. I tried a regular magnet on mine but it wasn't strong enough.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Ben.....could you drill a small hole in the end of the broken piece and then start a self-tapping screw into it?

And then pull it out with the screw?

Brad Schmid
05-09-2008, 11:59 AM
Ben.....could you drill a small hole in the end of the broken piece and then start a self-tapping screw into it?

And then pull it out with the screw?

I tried that with mine but my drill bits weren't hard enough. Dang those driver bits are hard!

Another thing that might work is if you can remove the chuck from the driver and either poke through from the back side, or "whack" the back with a mallet and pop it out.

Chris Padilla
05-09-2008, 12:24 PM
Just "accidentally" drop it on the floor from table height and it'll pop right out.... ;)

Steven DeMars
05-09-2008, 12:48 PM
This method has worked for me twice . . .

Grasp the driver chuck in a pair of curved jaw vise-grips. Only allow the chuck to go across 1/2 of the vise-grip jaws. Now turn tool / chuck where it faces down & rap the side of the vise-grip jaws facing the floor with a piece of hardwood . . . The broken bit will fall to the floor . . .

By the way, do not buy Harbor Freight tips and put them in a BOSCH impact driver ! !

Peter Quadarella
05-09-2008, 1:36 PM
I have some 1" rare earth magnets and they are very strong and only cost about $1 each. Might be worth a try. If you need it now, could you drill and tap a very small hole in the bit and screw something into it?

Ben Rafael
05-09-2008, 1:44 PM
I'll try some of these ideas and get back.
Thanks.

Dale Lesak
05-09-2008, 3:51 PM
Blast of air along side if the bit, lots of time it'll just pop out. (eye protection when doing this) Dale :)

Bryan Berguson
05-09-2008, 7:05 PM
Ben,

I had the same problem with my impact driver. Mine broke because it was too tight of a fit and I locked onto it with a pair of pliers to pull it out. Unfortunately, I didn't pull straight and broke it. I took it apart thinking I could knock it out from behind but it's a solid backed unit. I ended up buying a replacement "chuck".

Hopefully, one of the other solutions offered will work for you and it won't cost you any cash like mine did.

Bryan