PDA

View Full Version : Sewing Thread Spool Rack

D.McDonnel "Mac"
03-08-2003, 11:29 PM
Those of you that ara BP Refugees may remember a few posts I made regarding this project I started a few weeks ago. I started with a picture of the antique original and had to do some carefull scaling and guessing. Well they have turned out pretty good if I do say so myself. I changed th spaciing a little to accomodate the bigger spools we have now but it still can handle 85 spools on one rack. I played with the spacing untill I got a very pleasing geometric grouping on each side that would still meet along the bottom without violating the spacing. The oval in the middle is to be upolstered as a pin cushion as per the original. I made it out of Qtr Sawn White oak and the spindles are all sanded individually to round the ends (thanks Rod for the drill press idea) and to fit the 1/4 inch holes in the backboard just right. Way too many hours in this to make any money but if I do a decent job for the good doctors wife maybe more furniture and projects will come out of it! Actually they are good friends too which makes it hard to charge what I feel my labor is worth! Maybe get some referals too! Thanks for looking. See everyone at the End-O-Pond Picnic! (Come down to indy to see the Indpls Motor Speedway you must come the 6 blocks to my house/shop!).

Bob Lasley
03-08-2003, 11:34 PM
That's alot of dowels. They look good. Hope you post a picture of the finished product.

Bob

D.McDonnel "Mac"
03-08-2003, 11:35 PM
This shows the Geometric layout better than the first pic!

D.McDonnel "Mac"
03-08-2003, 11:39 PM
The friends mom is the one who knew of the original at a friends house. She took a picture and gave me a tracing of the outline which helped tremendously!!! Here is the original pic she gave me to work from.

Bart Leetch
03-09-2003, 12:34 AM
I hope she is going to put it in a closet. My Grandmother was a seamstress she said never put thread out in the open it gets dusty & dirty & this can cause problems with the machine. She layed her thread on it's side in a drawer. My input from the LOML also says it can cause it to fade.

Other then that your work looks great.

Howard Barlow
03-09-2003, 12:51 AM
Looks like a lot of tedious work. Better you than me. Nice looking, though. There has to be some way of making a peg game out of it, too.

Jim Izat
03-09-2003, 6:42 AM
Looks like Nahm's workbench. How has it worked out for you?

Jim Izat

Simon St.Laurent
03-09-2003, 8:21 AM
That's great! My wife needed thread racks and we got as far as buying dowels before I realized just how much thread she had... the commercial racks don't look nearly as nice as yours!

D.McDonnel "Mac"
03-10-2003, 8:25 AM
Originally posted by Jim Izat
Looks like Nahm's workbench. How has it worked out for you?

Jim Izat

Yes it is. It was one of the first things I built several years ago. It has worked out fine as my first bench. It was as big as I could have in the basement but now that I'm in the new shop I have a new one in mind to build, heavier, bigger, with storage below. But that's a ways off so "Nahm's" bench will do just fine for the next year or so.

Scott Neblung
03-10-2003, 11:51 AM
I'm sure he needs to know more about sewing rooms, accessories and such now that he has experience in their remodeling....

hee hee hee