PDA

View Full Version : Overhead Dust Cleaner Articles?

Danny Thompson
05-09-2008, 9:17 AM
Know any good published reviews/comparisons of overhead air cleaners/dust filters?

Wayne Cannon
05-12-2008, 1:07 PM
I don't remember where I saw the articles, but filtration effectiveness wasn't an issue between the almost-identical Delta, JDS, Jet, etc. The preferences were based on things like having a remote control, delayed shut-off time, etc. My Jet has three speeds and three delay times (plus manual on-off) w/remote control for all.

A recent article measured effectiveness and said that they are more effective when run at slow speed rather than high speed.

FWIW, I had my heat-pump supplier's sheet-metal shop fabricate a plenum for a three-filter setup (like the overhead dust cleaners) instead of the default filter. It works like a champ and was cheap, except that I don't have a delayed shut-off if I turn the fan on manually. They also found me a significantly less expensive source for the deep multi-pocket filters.

Danny Thompson
05-12-2008, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the tips, Wayne. I'll look into that heat pump option. I've been looking for an excuse to add HVAC