PDA

View Full Version : Small Peach Bowl

Jim Pinkerton
05-09-2008, 1:17 AM
Just had to show off this wood grain. I am just getting started (under ten bowls so far) so I am learning something new with each one. This was a Peach tree my son cut down a year ago. I had no idea the wood would look like this. Now from what I have read here I have to keep it from cracking. My fingers are crossed and it is wrapped up in layers of newspaper.

Jon Lanier
05-09-2008, 2:23 AM
Wow, that is some grain. That is cute little bowl. Good job.

Glenn Hodges
05-09-2008, 5:19 AM
Jim, it is helpful to put the size of the piece in the picture, and what you finished it with, thanks. The figure in this peach is exceptional.

robert hainstock
05-09-2008, 6:56 AM
What beutiful figure. I too hope ot doesn't grack. Usually not a good idea to leave the heart in a piece. wood is a tricky medium, and you never know what it wll do. Air tight sealing Rarely works, I've often wodered since joining ris forum what some of these piece will look like in the future. That is a lovely piece, and I bet you keep it no matter what. Keep it where it is humid. :eek::):):)
Bob

Steve Schlumpf
05-09-2008, 9:55 AM
Very interesting bowl Jim! Amazing wood! You never know with fruit woods if they will crack or not,,, but if it does then you can learn about different ways to fix cracks! Always something!

Have fun with it! Looking forward to your next piece!

Jim Pinkerton
05-09-2008, 9:57 AM
The bowl is 5 inches wide and 4 inches high. I put a bees wax and mineral oil finish on it.
Jim

Bernie Weishapl
05-09-2008, 1:17 PM
Very nice bowl with some awesome wood. Wow that wood is wild.

Richard Madison
05-09-2008, 1:22 PM
Beautiful piece of wood! Where are the peaches? Oh yeah, you cut down the tree.

Dennis Puskar
05-09-2008, 9:52 PM
Beautiful grain and form.

Dennis

Art kraft
05-09-2008, 10:10 PM
Jim, love the grain, it's what makes a project work (my opinion). You might want to put it into a plastic bag and only let it dry a few hours (or less) a day. A result of removing all the wood from the inside will create a lot of stress on the remaining wood. Slowly drying the piece will let it relieve those stress slowly reducing the chances of spliting

Ben Gastfriend
05-10-2008, 3:34 PM
Woweee! Great grain on that piece, and a mite cute form! My fingers are crossed for you.