PDA

View Full Version : Things to do in Charleston, SC?

Tony Sade
05-08-2008, 10:05 PM
I'll be in Charleston on business for a week next month with a fair amount of time to kill. Any suggestions, woodworking related or not? Good food recommendations always appreciated as well.

Thanks,

Tim Thomas
05-08-2008, 10:46 PM
I lived in Mt. Pleasant, SC for 4 years. I would suggest a visit to the beach on Sullivan's Island. The Isle of Palms is also nice, but a bit more commercialized. The two islands are connected by a bridge so you can easily visit both anyway, but I think the dunes on Sullivan's Island are much better.

You can always do the traditional touristy things like a carriage ride through historic downtown, take a tour of Fort Sumter, or visit one of the many historic plantation homes in the area.

For restaurants, I like Poogan's Porch in downtown, beachfront dining at Coconut Joe's on the Isle of Palms, and Sticky Fingers for good bar-b-que in Mt. Pleasant. There are also quite a few upscale restaurants in downtown, like Magnolia's.

One thing I would definitely do if I get a chance to visit there again is walk out on the new bridge that connects downtown Charleston with Mt. Pleasant. It is best to park on the Mt. Pleasant side and you can walk up to the crest of the bridge. They keep it well lit at night and I highly recommend walking up to the top just before sunset. The view is great and really worth the walk.

If I think of anything else I'll be sure to post it up, but I think this will get you started. Charleston is a great town with a lot of historic places and there are numerous parks and beaches in the area. Lots to do and you can easily fill up a week of free evenings. Have fun!

edit: One last thing. I know that there is a Woodcraft store in town, but it's been so long since I was there that I don't remember exactly where it is. You should be able to find the location through the Woodcraft website though. I don't know much else about woodworking in that area as I didn't really do much with this hobby until after I moved away from Charleston.

Jim Tobias
05-09-2008, 12:31 AM
I grew up in S.C. and lived in nearby Beaufort , S. C. for 8 years (about 65 miles south of Charleston. made many visits over the years.
As was already mentioned, the historic parts of Charleston are very interesting. The carriage rides are not only a pleasant ride. They are also very educational as to the history of the city. The carriage people(?) are very knowledgeable about the history of the city and make it very worthwhile.
Eat at Magnolia's at leats once and another great place is "Slightly North of Broad" . The food is fantastic!!

Jim

Jon Lanier
05-09-2008, 2:24 AM
Find the local Woodcrafter or Rockler and pay rent on a lathe? :cool:

Michael McCoy
05-09-2008, 7:19 AM
Looks like Tim mentioned enough to keep you busy for your week. The local Woodcraft store is located on Savannah Highway in a small shopping center, is fairly easy to get to and they do have a well equipped lathe shop. It is also located a couple of blocks from the entrance to Folly Beach Highway if you had planned on going to that area. There is not a lot on Folly but there are some good places to grab a sandwich and the fishing pier was recently renovated and reopened last week. Drop me a line if you need anything while you are in town.

Belinda Barfield
05-09-2008, 8:32 AM
Visit the aircraft carrier Yorktown at Patriot's Point, see Ft. Sumter, visit the aquarium.

See the Hunley. www.hunley.org (http://www.hunley.org)

Great place to shop for antiques.

Be sure to go to The Battery if you want to see some beautiful old homes.

Charleston is a great place to visit! Have fun!

Pat Germain
05-09-2008, 12:08 PM
It's been awhile since I visited Charleston. On one of my visits, I dined at a great Italian restaurant in the historic downtown section. It was called Bocci's. Not only was the food outstanding, but the atmosphere was a welcome alternative to the proverbial corporate restaurant. It had multiple, small dining rooms; each with a different decor.

http://www.boccis.com/cms_pages/

Do yourself a favor and have a meal at Bocci's!

John W. Willis
05-10-2008, 9:05 AM
I second the Hunley, very interesting.

Tony Sade
05-10-2008, 8:17 PM
Great tips.