PDA

View Full Version : Did I screw up?

John Fricke
05-08-2008, 8:37 PM
Just witnessed Powermatic 20" industrial 3 phase bandsaw sell on a small online auction site for $385.85 The saw was only 60 miles from me. I would of had to convert to single phase. Did I pass up a bargain?

Matt Meiser
05-08-2008, 8:49 PM
Sounds like it to me. Even if you had to pay a few hundred for the motor. Then again, you don't have any idea what the winning bidder would have been willing to pay.

Bill Huber
05-08-2008, 8:51 PM
Just witnessed Powermatic 20" industrial 3 phase bandsaw sell on a small online auction site for $385.85 The saw was only 60 miles from me. I would of had to convert to single phase. Did I pass up a bargain?

I am not sure but it sure looks like it, I just paid $500 for a 14 inch Jet. So for a 20 inch I would say that was a good price unless it was junked out.

Pete Bradley
05-08-2008, 9:57 PM
Let's do the old machine math:

Saw: $385
New tires: $40
Bearings for Saw and motor: $60
Belts $30
1PH motor or VFD: $200-300
If you swapped motors, is the starter big enough to support a single-phase motor? If so, $25 for new heaters. If not, $50 to 100+ for a used starter and heaters.
New wire and plug $25-40

You're at $800+ if there's nothing else missing, broken, or worn out. There's *always* something missing or broken. You're going to put in a *lot* of labor too. At the end of it, you'd have a far better machine for the money, but you'd have earned it.

At best, it's a fair deal, not a steal.

Pete

Mike Heidrick
05-08-2008, 10:28 PM
A 3 phase bandsaws is the best. With a VFD you get a multi-speed bandsaw! Before the MM deal I swore my next bandsaw would be 3 phase.

Ben Cadotte
05-09-2008, 9:59 AM
I wouldn't fret over it. Like mentioned above, who knows what the winning put in for his max. Question is do you have a need for a 20" saw?

Something will come around again.

John Keeton
05-09-2008, 6:48 PM
Your life will be happier if you never ask this question about anything. Never look back - you can't undo anything. Just assemble from the experience some bit of knowledge to take forward and wait for the next opportunity - it will come.

Thomas Bennett
05-09-2008, 11:03 PM
Don’t be afraid of 3 phase equipment. Buy, or build , a 3 phase converter. 3 phase motors are more efficient and dependable than single phase motors. Ask any electric motor repair shop. I’ve used one in every shop I’ve worked in for 30 years with no problems. 3 phase equipment can frequently be purchased cheaper than the single phase version. 3 phase converters are connected to a 220 breaker in your electric service panel. There is nothing “high tech’ about them. Next time you see a 3 phase machine, of the size and specifications you want, go for it!

Barry Reade
05-10-2008, 2:42 PM
Don’t be afraid of 3 phase equipment. Buy, or build , a 3 phase converter. 3 phase motors are more efficient and dependable than single phase motors. Ask any electric motor repair shop. I’ve used one in every shop I’ve worked in for 30 years with no problems. 3 phase equipment can frequently be purchased cheaper than the single phase version. 3 phase converters are connected to a 220 breaker in your electric service panel. There is nothing “high tech’ about them. Next time you see a 3 phase machine, of the size and specifications you want, go for it!

You can get a 3 phase converter for around $100. I bought a milling machine that was 3 ph and the converter was $96 and 20 min to install and test. Converters are great and as Thomas said will save you some money.

Brian Ross
05-10-2008, 2:50 PM
. Question is do you have a need for a 20" saw?

When did need ever become a consideration when it comes to buying tools???????

Pete Bradley
05-10-2008, 3:20 PM
Buying an old machine involves more than just phase conversion. However, since this thread seems to be headed that way I'll recommend the following FAQ from Old Woodworking Machines to get started. It includes a link to Rick Christopherson's 3 phase also.

http://wiki.owwm.com/Three%20Phase%20Frequently%20Asked%20Questions.ash x

Pete