PDA

View Full Version : New from down under (gloat)

Robert foster
05-08-2008, 6:06 PM
Got new Triton 3 1/4 router yesterday and a 2 1/4 a few weeks ago. I really like the 2 1/4. It has some features that the 3 1/4 doesn't. But I'm sure I will like to play with it also. Haven't had much of a chance yet as I am building a new three bay router table. It is made up of scrap and leftovers except for the top which I purchased for this purpose. We will see how it comes out. It's kind of design as you go. the top is 24"X48" and will eventually have fences and T tracks.

Robert foster
05-08-2008, 6:08 PM
Forgot the picture

John Keeton
05-08-2008, 8:11 PM
Robert

I have been reading the various posts on the Tritons, and still confused about which has the built in lift system. I would like to get the 3.25 for use on a cast iron TS extension (Grizzly), but some posts sound like the smaller one is the only one with the above the table adjustment feature. Can you shed some light on this?

Robert foster
05-08-2008, 8:56 PM
John:
The 3 1/4 doesn't have the same through the table way to raise and lower the router. I was disappointed by that when it came. I really like the way the 2 1/4 is adjustable from above the table with a through the table crank. On the other hand they both have other ways to raise the router for above table bit changing. You have to raise the 3 1/4 from below the table either by releasing the rack and pinion control and physically pushing it up or you can use the micro control knob which would take some time or you can compress the control ring and twist the riser knob to raise it. It's not quite as handy on the 3 1/4 but I think it will work out OK.
HAGD

Bob

John Keeton
05-09-2008, 6:49 AM
I won't be buying for a few months as I have other shop projects that come first, so maybe changes will be made in a new model of the 3.25 by late 2008 - we can hope!

J. Z. Guest
05-09-2008, 9:31 AM
Nice routers Robert! The clamp stand router table is not a bad idea either.

One thing I'm curious about regarding above the table adjustment: Don't you still have to reach under to unlock the base anyhow? As long as one has to still do that, the above-table bit doesn't seem to add that much convenience.

Of course, if you didn't have the router to begin with, it is probably not a bad idea to get one with this option.