PDA

View Full Version : HD & Bessey

John Miliunas
04-05-2004, 6:13 PM
I've been reading, with interest, the numerous posts about a lot of folks scoring some good deals on the K-Body's at HD. Now I'm reading those same posts with a certain amount of envy! I swung over a few miles out of my way this afternoon and stopped out our HD. Headed straight over toward the tools and, as I swung around the corner, I saw the Bessey's with these bright yellow tags. I thought, "Yeah! Awright!" Only one 24" (which is the main ones I was looking for...), but I figured I'd grab it and a few of the longer ones. Then I noticed the price tags. $34.95 for the 24"!!! Say what?! I found a clerk and asked him about the "yellow tags", figuring that maybe it would get marked down at the register. Wrong again! He checked on the computer and said that's the price. Just for the heck of it, I walked on over to the Service Desk and inquired there. The lady tells me the yellow tags are for closeout items. I asked again if the price indicated was the "closeout price". Affirmative! I said that's ridiculous, as I can buy those any day of the week cheaper than that. She said she'd check and walked over, grabbed the 24 and said she'd look up their "regular" price. She said that the $34.95 was their regular price, as well. It's tagged yellow, because they're closing them out and won't be carrying them anymore. Huh??? I says, "So why the blaring yellow tag?" She tells me, "Well, because we're closing them out." :confused:

Hmmmm....The way I see it, the owners/management of this particular HD are trying to rip off the public with less than honorable marketing. People see the yellow tags, are told they're "closeout priced" and they buy them, only to put maximum profits in the pockets of the owner(s). :mad: I guess it's their business and that's the way they want to run it. I left my cart sitting there, took my list of other items I wanted to pick up and went over to the local Menard's. At least there, when they "closeout" an item, it's priced as such! Too bad, too. We're doing a lot of remodeling around here and will need a bunch more stuff. Looks like HD will be the last place this dude goes for them! Rant mode: "Off". Thanks for letting me spew for a bit. Now, out to the shop! :cool:

Spence DePauw
04-05-2004, 7:45 PM
John, I checked my local HD today. They had a few 50's, for $40, but I didn't bite. I had the luck a few weeks ago to use the Lowes 10% price match with a Farm&Fleet ad to get 50's for $34 :D

Spence

Keith Zavodney
04-05-2004, 8:18 PM
The yellow tag indicates that the item has gone into 'Clearance' status. The price does not immediately drop. Eventually the price will come down... the timing and $ amount are decided by the home office. The status just indicates to the people who order them whether or not they can order them or how they can order them. It is not intended to 'maximize profits' by cheating customers. I don't know where you shop, but I would change because you seem to think that everybody is dishonest. The help and the clerks are not the ones to make the decisions about what is clearanced or what the set price is. They would have been more correct to say that the yellow tag means that they won't carry them anymore.

Wes Bischel
04-05-2004, 8:20 PM
John,
Ya have to be careful with the yellow stickers. I knew a gentleman that worked there and he explained it to me. There are two types of yellow stickers. One has the price only - these are items that are not being reordered. The sticker is for their benefit for identification as well as making you take notice. The second type of yellow sticker has the "closeout" price - and in a smaller font the original price. These are for items they want to get rid of quickly - usually they have a kickback from the manufacturer which allows them to drop the price so low. For example, Lowes (they do the same thing) had a price on a 16" scrollsaw of $59. It was tagged yellow but without the "original price". Last Friday I walked by the display - down to $33 with the original price in the corner of the tag. Now I know it's not variable speed nor a very big unit, but it does the job for little puzzles etc.

Wes

PS: Did you catch the stealth gloat!? :eek:

Ken Garlock
04-05-2004, 9:23 PM
Hi John, where is that Senator Proxmire when you need him. :D Sounds like somebody is out of sync with the home office.

I can't say that I understand what they are doing in your HD. The HDs around here have the current/closeout price in big print on the end of the clamp rack. No guess work involved. I went to 3 HD branches on Sunday and they all had the closeout prices clearly marked.

Illegitamus non carborundum!

Paul Downes
04-05-2004, 9:40 PM
John, I just picked up 4 40's tonight for $33.00 each at H.D. I don't know if this is a great deal but it is a mark down. What they typicaly do is have a schedule where items are marked down over a period of weeks until they are gone. I've seen them mark 10% off for a few weeks and then 25% off...etc. You take your chances by waiting around, but sometimes it pays off.....I'm going to keep watching. The 24" clamps were $25.

John Miliunas
04-05-2004, 10:01 PM
John,
Ya have to be careful with the yellow stickers. I knew a gentleman that worked there and he explained it to me. There are two types of yellow stickers. One has the price only - these are items that are not being reordered. The sticker is for their benefit for identification as well as making you take notice. The second type of yellow sticker has the "closeout" price - and in a smaller font the original price. These are for items they want to get rid of quickly - usually they have a kickback from the manufacturer which allows them to drop the price so low. For example, Lowes (they do the same thing) had a price on a 16" scrollsaw of $59. It was tagged yellow but without the "original price". Last Friday I walked by the display - down to $33 with the original price in the corner of the tag. Now I know it's not variable speed nor a very big unit, but it does the job for little puzzles etc.

Wes

PS: Did you catch the stealth gloat!? :eek:

Yes, as a matter of fact! I did catch that little stealth action going on there! Congrats! If it's something you use very little and/or just for little projects, you got yourself a steal!

Other than that, I'm starting to gather that various HD's do business different than the one near us. Don't get me wrong; I've gotten some decent deals there, but it's most definitely, "Buyer beware" at this location! I imagine the clerks aren't really made aware of what's really going on and, for what most of them get paid, well...I'm not sure I blame them for not trying to find out. Guess I've just been spoiled by the "other" big box(s) in town that actually mark products down for a "closeout". If this one would've even taken the 10% markdown off their regular price, I wouldn't have a gripe. Still wouldn't have bought them at 10% off, but could say they were making an effort to present a closeout item at a reduced price. :cool:

Tom Peterson
04-05-2004, 10:21 PM
I checked a couple of the Depot's here and they only had 50" clamps, with no special markings. I usually only go to the depot as a last resort, or if I need lumber when it is raining. Typically shop Menards and keep the money in-state. I'll stick to buying my clamps on the web.

Michael Ballent
04-06-2004, 1:29 AM
They did the same thing with a Milwaukee Jig saw that I bought... It was $139 when I bought it and then a couple of months go by and it had the Yellow sticker... I was curious and noticed that it was still $139, but with a yellow sticker... Just goes to show you that you have to know your prices before you plunk down your bucks...

-Michael

Maurice Ungaro
04-06-2004, 7:21 AM
John,
As a rule, I don't do business with Da Depot. I can't stand the chaotic/frenetic atmosphere there, and when you need an emloyee to assist you, you can neve get one - theyre always rushing around like there's something more important going on than helping you. Plus they treat their employees and suppliers like crap.

I prefer to go to Lowe's where it's a better envoronment, more helpful and friendly and generally better stocked.

Maurice

PS: did you know that most of the merchandise in the Depots isn't owned by HD? It's actually owned by the suppliers until it is sold by HD. That's how they seem to grow enormously and put one up on every street corner. Oh, and I'm not that crazy about orange either.

John Miliunas
04-06-2004, 7:44 AM
PS: did you know that most of the merchandise in the Depots isn't owned by HD? It's actually owned by the suppliers until it is sold by HD. That's how they seem to grow enormously and put one up on every street corner. Oh, and I'm not that crazy about orange either.

Maurice, now that's an interesting insight! With that thought in mind, I can't help but wonder why Bessey will no longer be represented there!

I wish we had a Lowe's locally. the closest one to me is across the border, about 1-1/2 hours away. HD is also close to an hour, but I can usually plan ahead enough and stop on the way home from work. For whatever reason, I heard that Lowe's isn't "allowed" a presence in Wisconsin! Something about there being Menard's and HD here already. Too bad, because I agree: The trip we did take to Lowe's was pretty positive. And I'm with you on the orange color, too! Yuck. :cool:

Kirk (KC) Constable
04-06-2004, 7:59 AM
Maurice, now that's an interesting insight! With that thought in mind, I can't help but wonder why Bessey will no longer be represented there!

I've not heard that about HD not actually owning the inventory...and if it's true of some things (lumber, for instance), it's hard to believe that it holds for the entire store inventory. If it does, however, that may be the precise reason thr clamp people are pulling out....all the internet fueled clamp orgies and price matching have finally started to hurt.

KC

Jim Becker
04-06-2004, 8:15 AM
I wish we had a Lowe's locally.

Not a whole lot of difference with Lowes, in my experience; even poorer selection of the things I buy at home centers than the 'Depot. Most of the time, I now buy construction materials at the local full-service lumber yard at about the same prices...for much better quality stuff. I reserve the home centers for weekend purchases when the other places are closed and for when I need a larger variety of do-dads in one place for time savings.

John Miliunas
04-06-2004, 8:31 AM
Not a whole lot of difference with Lowes, in my experience; even poorer selection of the things I buy at home centers than the 'Depot. Most of the time, I now buy construction materials at the local full-service lumber yard at about the same prices...for much better quality stuff. I reserve the home centers for weekend purchases when the other places are closed and for when I need a larger variety of do-dads in one place for time savings.

Jim, I can't make a real qualified comparison with Lowes, as I've only taken the road trip once. I do, however, agree on the lumber yard thing, but again, only to a degree. You're right that the quality is usually a bit higher. But, out in this neck 'o the woods, it's not unusual for pricing to be as much as 50% higher for many of the items, some of which, are exact same brand, etc.! When I was looking to purchase some 3/4" mdf for my vacuum press, I checked with no less than four local yards. Not a one of them carried it in stock (any quantity!), it was a week to 10-day order/delivery period and pricing was roughly 30% higher! I don't know if it's global, but the yards around here seem to primarily cater to pro builders with operating hours to match. The builders are also given pro discounts, which gives them the incentive to go there. Those of us doing non-construction work for a living are pretty much s.o.l. if we need material for evening or weekend work, 'cuz a number of them close at 5:00pm and have super-short morning hours on the weekends, if at all. And then, we pay a premium. Again, I favor keeping my $$ spent local, but I *really* favor trying to keep as much of my hard earned $$ where it belongs: In my pocket! :cool:

Jim Becker
04-06-2004, 8:46 AM
Don't get me wrong, John...I do check prices. Fortunately, the local yard is very reasonably priced on some things...windows, studs, etc. But you are correct about the sheet goods. They are not even close to HD on things like MDF and birch ply!

Frank Pellow
04-06-2004, 9:33 AM
John, the situation that you describe is mostly the same here in the Toronto area. There is one other big box company Rona that competes with Home Depot but I find that usually Home Depot has the better prices.

I too would rather purchase my material from local (or, at least, Canadian) merchants, but more and more I find myself going to Home Depot. I have even found one Home Depot not too far away that has good service with many knowledgeable employees and a couple ot them who have gone out of their way to help me.

John Weber
04-06-2004, 10:05 AM
John,

I agree with your flustration, but all stores do it. I was in Dillards a couple weeks ago and they had some stuff on sale for $39.00, regularly $39.99 or something like that. I think sometime the computer make the markdowns without any human intervention. (Dillards normally has very good clearance sales). I think most of the box stores are managed in regions, and then at the local level. We have a Lowes in our area that never has the same sales as the others, according to the employees the manager never wants to cut the price to turn the inventory - and he is free to do that. Fortunately, our local Lowes likes to clear the shelves most of the time. I generally like the box stores, they typically have decent selection and good hours. If I need a lot of electrical stuff I hit the local supplier, for lumber that is hard to haul, or if I want better quality I use the local lumber yard (they even deliever free). For me it's not worth getting my feathers un a ruffle when a box store doesn't follow suit on a national clearence, I spend enough and they are a convience for me, so I just take them for what they are.

John

Scott Coffelt
04-06-2004, 10:53 AM
I usually shop the orange borg, becuase it is closer. I have also found them to be extremely competive on some items. I do check occasionally to varify. Case in point, the Bosch portable planer is $99 at the orange borg and $159 at the blue borg. The same unit. Its (I think) $109 at Amazon.

Keep checking the store, I bet you'll see the price change within a day or two. I was in one of my local stores (5 HD's within 10 mile radius from my house) when the PC router frenzy was starting. The lady in the tool coral was just starting to mark prices. They had the yellow stickers on, but the price was not lower yet. SHe said she usually does mark downs once a week, She checked her special computer (one that tells her what to mark down, but may not officially be loaded in the master) and said she was actually changing prices that morning. Past gloat.

Chris Padilla
04-06-2004, 11:14 AM
I have a love/hate relationship with HD and I have two very close by but no Lowes anywhere. I will go to HD for Birch ply, MDF, Sheetrock/supplies, and electrical boxes, insulation, paint/supplies, sod, and for rental stuff. I won't touch them for plumbing and machine screws. I go to my local h/w store for that. Also, if I know I won't be able to stand the lines at HD, I'll go pay a tad more to my local h/w store. HD is nice in that they open at 6 am...no one is there and you can easily pile up a bunch of sheet goods, pay right away, and easily load up the truck with no muss, no fuss. I make quarterly runs at 6 am on Sat or Sun to pick up loads of MDF and Birch ply to replenish my supply at home. Like I said, love/hate.

Dale Thompson
04-06-2004, 9:54 PM
Hi Spring,
Gripe. Gripe. Gripe. With YOUR money, what does it matter??

I actually had an opposite experience at our Menards store. I bought an item which was priced at $79 dollars. It had been on sale for $59 until the day before I bought it but the $59 was still displayed. The expiration date of the sale was clearly marked on the shelf price. As luck would have it, the item was a stockroom item and the lady had to go back and get it. This is a true story. She waited for me as I was going out of the store and asked what I had paid. I told her that I had paid $79. She took me back to the cashier and told her that she owed me $20. Her rationale was that the sign said $59. If store staff had not replaced the sign then the customer gets the benefit of the doubt.

GEE! It certainly looks like living a clean, pure, innocent life DOES have it's benefits. :D :D Give it a shot!!

Dale T.

John Miliunas
04-06-2004, 10:12 PM
Hi Spring,
Gripe. Gripe. Gripe. With YOUR money, what does it matter??

Listen to you! If I had your money, I'd throw mine away!

As one of the other guys mentioned, I think much of it is a "love/hate" relationship with most any of the Borgs. I will say, though, that my positive experiences at Menard's do outweigh those at HD. I'm also not too thrilled with the "automated" checkouts they installed at the HD, either. They don't work properly half the time. By the same token, at least as it applies at the HD on the West end of town, I have found the cashiers to be some of the unfriendliest and cold people you'd ever want to meet! I believe they may have been transfered in from the Peshtigo area! :D Some of the clerks try to be helpful and friendly, but oh, those cashiers.... :(

I did call the HD at the other end of town this afternoon and the guy I talked to didn't know *anything* about them closing out the Bessey's. He told me that it's totally up to the particular location and, as far as he knows, they're going to continue carrying them!

I think I might just order some from Amazon and spend a bit more $$, but save myself the headaches! Oh, and what do YOU know of, "...living a clean, pure, innocent life"???!!! :D Glad you did good by them! :cool:

David Ripley
04-07-2004, 4:27 PM
Just last week I pick up three 31" Bessey K-bodys at the HD by my house in Sacramento (Go Kings) for $30.00 each. After reading some of the post I feel lucky about the woodworking store's we have in town.
Woodcraft, Post tool, Sacramento Machinery Co. and West Coast
Machinery and more. We also have at least 7 HD and one or two Lowes.
plus there are several lumber yards that deal in hardwoods and Exotics for the woodworker. David from the home of the Sacramento Kings.

Chris Padilla
04-07-2004, 5:16 PM
David,

Felder is out there, too! I'll be visiting the showroom soon and hopefully do more than just drool! :)

Terre Hooks
04-07-2004, 9:32 PM
If you are griping about HD and their clamps, why is this thread "Cool", and ended thay way?

John Miliunas
04-07-2004, 10:14 PM
If you are griping about HD and their clamps, why is this thread "Cool", and ended thay way?

Terre, I wasn't griping about their clamps. I like the clamps. Never said the thread was "Cool", either. What is "Cool" is that there are folks out here kind enough to let a guy spew about some misfortune. Also, I was heading out to my shop, which is "Cool". Lastly, if you check around, you will note that the *majority* of my posts end with that particular emoticon. :cool:

James Carmichael
04-08-2004, 11:26 AM
Don't get me wrong, John...I do check prices. Fortunately, the local yard is very reasonably priced on some things...windows, studs, etc. But you are correct about the sheet goods. They are not even close to HD on things like MDF and birch ply!

True about the MDF and Birch ply. My local Lowes is even cheaper on the Birch ply but quality is awful - voids like crazy, very aggravating when running a flush-trim router bit!! But I just keep an old copy of their add and carry to HD for a price match + 10%.

I've gotten pretty sour on HD lately, seems the only way to find anything out is to go down there, you can't get anyone who knows their a-- from their elbow anymore, particularly when it comes to tools ("you mean you don't want Ryobi or Rigid???").

Kinda got off the subject. I feel your pain, John, I haven't been able to find any real markdowns on the Bessey's, either.

Glenn Clabo
04-08-2004, 12:10 PM
It isn't that the thread...or HD...or clamps...or his shop...are cool. It's that John is cool.

Tim Morton
04-08-2004, 12:20 PM
Man John, sounds like eveyone wants a shot at you today...but we all know you are 'too cool for school" in our eyes. :cool:

I have the opposite problem with my HD...clamps are marked all at the reduced sale prices but for the past 2 or 3 weeks there has been nothing but a big 8'x10' hole where the clamps should be...kind of a bummer not to have any product, and all those low prices.

Stay :cool:

David Ripley
04-08-2004, 3:10 PM
David,

Felder is out there, too! I'll be visiting the showroom soon and hopefully do more than just drool! :)

Chris, thanks for the info. on Felder, is it new here, because I can't find it in the phone book. If you have a address or phone no. could you email it to me. Thanks David Ripley, Home to the next NBA champs, The Sacramento Kings

Chris Padilla
04-08-2004, 3:14 PM
David,

Go to www.felderusa.com (http://www.felderusa.com) for some drooling. Here is their info:

Fedler USA
1851 Enterprise Blvd
West Sac, CA 95691

They are only open M-F but I'm told appointments can be made for Saturdays.

They are having a special Saturday open on 5/22. All this is on their web site.

John Miliunas
04-08-2004, 3:15 PM
Man John, sounds like eveyone wants a shot at you today...but we all know you are 'too cool for school" in our eyes. :cool:

That's OK....I've got pretty thick skin and big shoulders. Better me than some poor, little old lady at the supermarket! :D FWIW, I'm going to take a spin through HD on the way home today, "just in case"! :cool:

Dale Thompson
04-08-2004, 9:40 PM
That's OK....I've got pretty thick skin and big shoulders. Better me than some poor, little old lady at the supermarket! :D FWIW, I'm going to take a spin through HD on the way home today, "just in case"! :cool:

Hey Spring,
I thought that I was the only person in the world whom you offended. Your most recent offense that I take personally is - I'M that, "poor, little old lady at the supermarket". :o ;)

By the way, have you changed your avatar picture or did you get a facelift? :confused: Maybe it's just that your daughter is starting to help you with your makeup as well as your woodworking. :cool:

Dale T.

John Miliunas
04-08-2004, 11:18 PM
Hey Spring,
I thought that I was the only person in the world whom you offended. Your most recent offense that I take personally is - I'M that, "poor, little old lady at the supermarket". :o ;)

By the way, have you changed your avatar picture or did you get a facelift? :confused: Maybe it's just that your daughter is starting to help you with your makeup as well as your woodworking. :cool:

Dale T.

Yo Dale, do not despair; You're still the BEST! And the Avatar? Chris made me do it and there's not enough makeup to make this ugly mug look any better! :D :cool:

Chris Padilla
04-09-2004, 11:34 AM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

(...still gotta work on Mr. Howell....)

Dale Thompson
04-09-2004, 9:55 PM
(...still gotta work on Mr. Howell....)Chris,

Now THERE'S a REAL challenge. This board has a lot of very talented people but there is a limit to that which ANY group can accomplish! :) :) ;) TYLERRRR - where ARE you??

Dale T.

Kevin Herber
04-10-2004, 11:56 PM
After reading these posts I went to my local HD and sure enough, scored a 24" for $25! I got the last one. I went to another one that seems to have less traffic and saw the same price. I grabbed another 24" for $25 and two 31"s for $27 each. I would have gotten more but that was my budget for now. I did see 50"s for $40, if I remember correctly. I didn't need any that big so I didn't pay too close attention. The clerk verified that they are on clearance.

I sure was glad for what I got so thanks for sharing the info. The tags were yellow as everyone has described. If one store is out, go to another. Fortunately, here in Austin, I have 8 HDs within 30 miles that I know of for sure, there may be more.

-- Kevin

David Rose
04-11-2004, 12:21 AM
"Cool John", you think you have reason to gripe! You should move down here where Terry Hatfield, who is always on the move with his business, scarfs up anything of value before anyone else even knows it's there.

Dale, I think John must be playing with his photo editing software. Drastically playing...

David

Lloyd Robins
04-11-2004, 12:45 AM
I got the last 2 Bessey's at the local HD. 24" - $25. Not bad. I am just lucky that they didn't have a lot more. It would have been too hard to resist.

Tim Morton
04-11-2004, 1:24 PM
Stopped by the HD in the town I went to easter brunch in...scored a pair of the 24"'s for 25 bucks each. Got the last 2.

Terry Hatfield
04-11-2004, 3:39 PM
"Cool John", you think you have reason to gripe! You should move down here where Terry Hatfield, who is always on the move with his business, scarfs up anything of value before anyone else even knows it's there.

Dale, I think John must be playing with his photo editing software. Drastically playing...

David

Hehehehehehehehehe...there are perks to driving 250 miles a day I guess. :D

t

Dale Thompson
04-11-2004, 9:00 PM

David,
I realize that modern software can work miracles. However, there ARE limits!! :D :D :D ;) He should give up and quit pasting on that mustache. On the other hand, we have to consider his status with the KGB, FBI, CIA, M1(Scotland Yard), etc. Let's give the guy a break and let him hide behind his cheese and bratwurst. :D :D ;)

Dale T.

Scott Coffelt
04-11-2004, 9:01 PM
I almost bought some more 24's the other day, the store had 8 left. Instead I bought 3 90 degree clamps for $10/each. I already had bought some at $15. Who knows if the 8-24's are still there by next weekend, I might have to invite them into the family.

David Rose
04-11-2004, 9:50 PM
I think this is the second time the "perk" resulted in more Bessies at the Hatfield OR. Bessies will probably die in that sterile atmosphere. Why don't you just loan them... aw, fergit it. :D You wouldn't want them back with the diseases they would pick up in my place. :p

David

Hehehehehehehehehe...there are perks to driving 250 miles a day I guess. :D

t

David Rose
04-11-2004, 9:53 PM
Dale, you have a point. Besides, some of those guys can shoot!

David, another long tailed cat

David,
I realize that modern software can work miracles. However, there ARE limits!! :D :D :D ;) He should give up and quit pasting on that mustache. On the other hand, we have to consider his status with the KGB, FBI, CIA, M1(Scotland Yard), etc. Let's give the guy a break and let him hide behind his cheese and bratwurst. :D :D ;)

Dale T.

David Rose
04-11-2004, 9:57 PM
Scott, 40's are my shorties. Guess I'm a poet and don't know it. :eek: Sure wish there was a way to spread those 24's around the country a little. Terry destroys any hope of that here. Maybe I'll live long enough to see him get "enough clamps". Nope there is no such thing. But when he gets up to around 30 of those guess who will be "borrowing". hehe

David

I almost bought some more 24's the other day, the store had 8 left. Instead I bought 3 90 degree clamps for $10/each. I already had bought some at $15. Who knows if the 8-24's are still there by next weekend, I might have to invite them into the family.

John Miliunas
04-11-2004, 10:02 PM

David,

Dale T.

Hmmm...Strange, this new software is. I thought I posted a "reply" to this one and it doesn't show up. Oh well. Dale, glad you suggest in "giving me a break". I need it. :cool:

Dale Thompson
04-12-2004, 9:51 PM
Why don't you guys quit all the griping about "clamps" and get yourselves a "Pocket Hole" jig? :confused: Am I BRILLIANT or what!!? :cool:

Dale T.

p.s. "ANY PERSON WHO HAS ENOUGH CLAMPS EITHER DOESN'T HAVE ENOUGH PROJECTS OR IS DEAD!!" Whatever, that is how my tombstone is engraved. :eek:

John Miliunas
04-12-2004, 9:59 PM
Why don't you guys quit all the griping about "clamps" and get yourselves a "Pocket Hole" jig? :confused: Am I BRILLIANT or what!!? :cool:

Dale T.

p.s. "ANY PERSON WHO HAS ENOUGH CLAMPS EITHER DOESN'T HAVE ENOUGH PROJECTS OR IS DEAD!!" Whatever, that is how my tombstone is engraved. :eek:

OK, now that you mention it, I'll vote for the "..or what!!?" :D

You ARE right about the second statement, though! :o If I'm lucky, by the time I kick off, I'll have enough clamps for LOML to sell off to rich guys like you to pay for the Services! :D :cool:

Robert Waddell
04-12-2004, 11:59 PM
I scored (6) 24's today at one of my local big orange boxes. They were white tagged at $25. Go figure. Thanks guys for sharing the info on the lower price. I missed out on, or really passed over the Jorgie orgie because of the cracking problems I had read about. It really feels good to score the best (bessies) at a great price. All six are in use as we speak :D

eric hann
05-10-2004, 5:15 PM
Gotta agree with Jim on this one.. I drive 40 miles and I have an HS and Lowe's within 4 blocks of each other. Right now my wife has me in landscape mode. Lowe's does better there. However, when it comes to my really passion (sawdust) neither store stands out above the other.
happen over Christmas. Lowe's had a sale on a laser level, $39.00 down to $19.00. My wife wanted to get her dad one. We got out of the house a little late that day and missed the sale. By noon, all the laser levels were gone from Lowe's. Trust me, we drove to quite a few.
Had some things to pick up at Home Depot. Made it to my local one around 8:00PM. Sure enough, there on a table in front of the tool crib was a stack of laser levels, the very same ones, with a very unprofessional taped sign (paper and magic marker) pricing them at $18.95. Guess they heard of the sale at Lowe's.
Wife got what she wanted, I bought a few extras for stocking stuffers.
When I want wood, I go to a lumber yard. When I need a gadget, I'll take either HD or Lowe's. Haven't really noticed a difference between em.

Steve Jenkins
05-11-2004, 5:22 AM
Not sure why I missed this thread when it started but if you are looking at the bessys at the depot and if you can still find any, talk to the tool manager and see if she/he will discount them more. I went to 2 different stores and bought all they had for 1/2 the sale price. That's 12.50 for the 24". Basically I scored 30 in various sizes for an average price of about 18 bucks. Steve

John Miliunas
05-11-2004, 8:08 AM
Not sure why I missed this thread when it started but if you are looking at the bessys at the depot and if you can still find any, talk to the tool manager and see if she/he will discount them more. I went to 2 different stores and bought all they had for 1/2 the sale price. That's 12.50 for the 24". Basically I scored 30 in various sizes for an average price of about 18 bucks. Steve

That's pretty awesome! The last I looked, they only have a couple long ones left and they're still at $40.00, like they've been for the last several weeks. For whatever reason, our HD is not really aggressive in moving their "closeout" items. Now that I think about it, they're not too aggressive in the Customer Service dept., either! I stopped in last week, just to pick up a few small items and spent more time in the checkout line watching the ditz at the register yacking to her counterparts! She had some "other" stuff to log in some book, as well, and when she went to go after the log book, she was moving so slow, you'd almost swear she was going backwards! Just absolutely portrayed the ideal "Don't give a schmidt" attitude! Ooooops...Sorry! Rant "off". Maybe I'll check the next time I'm forced to go in there....Thanks for the tip, Steve! :cool:

Ed Snyder
05-23-2004, 8:44 AM
There are still a few at HD on Galleria Drive in Buffalo area on Saturday

Ed