PDA

View Full Version : How stable is Noden workbench with a single stretcher.

M A McDowell
05-08-2008, 4:35 PM
I need to build a small portable workbench that can serve both as a general worktable and a foundation for all forms of hand planing. Planned dimensions are approximately 3’ by 5’. Because of back problems, I am interested in the Noden Adjust-A-Bench system with the single stretcher configuration. The single stretcher would allow me, when the table was set in its low position, to do some types of work while sitting in a chair.
Question: does the Noden single stretcher system provide sufficient rigidity for planing and other work involving pushing, pulling, and pounding?

Doug Shepard
05-08-2008, 7:04 PM
Haven't noticed any problems sof far
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=83328

Jim Becker
05-08-2008, 7:57 PM
If the stretcher is designed correctly, it should work well. But talk with Geoffry. He's done a number of them for special situations and can advise you how best to accommodate your needs. He actually has one or two at his shop showroom in Trenton that were built with this in mind.

Tom Godley
05-08-2008, 8:49 PM
I have a Noden bench but I am using the two rails. I did see the single and it is also very stable - but I did not have them side by side.

I also agree with Jim -- give a call - he will be able to help you. Just to let you know if he is away at a show he may not get the message for a day or two.

Doug -- How do you like the Tucker??

Not knowing what I wanted -- I just purchased a top from G Noden thinking that I would put a vise and a proper top on it -- now months have passed!!

The Noden system is very nice.

Doug Shepard
05-08-2008, 9:38 PM
Doug -- How do you like the Tucker??

Other than the work I did with it on the temp mount making that corner joinery for the hardwood trim I haven't had much time on the bench since posting that thread a week ago. Been cleaning up the aftermath - all the things I put off during working on the bench. But I agonized over buying it vs. the Emmert clone and finally decided it was worth it to me to spend the extra for the quick-release. Boy am I glad I did. Even with my limited use so far I LOVE that feature.