PDA

View Full Version : Motor help

Rob Hough
05-08-2008, 1:48 PM
I have a Craftsman 113.225900 belt/disc sander. Yesterday I was sanding down a piece of oak and applied a little too much pressure and stopped the belt from moving. This caused the motor to sieze and now I can't get it to restart.

Have I killed it? :( Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bob Rufener
05-08-2008, 2:07 PM
Is there a reset button on the motor? Also, may sound foolish but check your breakers to see if one popped. Did you check your manual. If you don't have one, there should be one available on line.

Ben Cadotte
05-08-2008, 2:14 PM
Did you let the smoke out?

If you didn't let the smoke out, it may just be a need to reset a breaker on motor or circuit. Will the belt still move if you move it by hand (siezed up)?

Rob Hough
05-08-2008, 7:40 PM
Belt still moves, but I didn't see an obvious reset button anywhere. The manual said to do the reset thing if my motor was equipped with one... The pictures don't show a button for this anywhere though.

Didn't see any smoke, so I'm not sure if I'm totally following that question. Can you elaborate more?

Ben Cadotte
05-08-2008, 9:35 PM
Belt still moves, but I didn't see an obvious reset button anywhere. The manual said to do the reset thing if my motor was equipped with one... The pictures don't show a button for this anywhere though.

Didn't see any smoke, so I'm not sure if I'm totally following that question. Can you elaborate more?

Letting the smoke out is a joking term for blowing a motor. When you see smoke comming from the motor, you let it out / blew the motor.

If the belt turns you didn't sieze the motor. And no smoke, I would think there is a reset somewhere?? Did you unplug it for a little bit? Might rest if unplugged for a bit :confused:

Chris Barnett
05-08-2008, 10:01 PM
If you have it powered, will it continue to run if you spin it first? If so, the starting capacitors are possbily bad or a centrifugal swich that enables starting perhaps is the cause. You might be able to have the motor repaired at a motor shop cheaper than a new tool.

Rob Hough
05-08-2008, 10:16 PM
It does nothing when powered. I will unplug it completely over night and see what that does. If that doesn't work... I'll pull it off this weekend and see if I can find that reset.

J. Z. Guest
05-09-2008, 9:40 AM
Have you confirmed that that outlet is still live? (i.e. no breaker tripped in your breaker panel)

If the outlet is live for sure, you probably tripped the motor overload protection, which could be:

a) A manually-reset breaker somewhere on the unit, probably on or near the motor itself,

b) An automatically-reset thermal protector in the motor windings,

c) A one-shot thermal fuse in the motor windings, or

d) a fuse or breaker somewhere in the sander.

If it was c), you're out of luck and will need a new motor.

Lastly, this is the kind of post where it would be nice to know where you live. Consider adding your city & state to your profile information. Someone who is pretty sharp in electrical matters may live one town over for you and just come over and fix it in 10 seconds.

Rob Hough
05-09-2008, 9:02 PM
The good news is... I fixed it!

The bad news is... I'm an idiot. :p

I had the saw plugged into a strip, but thought I had plugged into the main power on the wall. Tripped the strip. lol

Glad it's working and I'm in Indianapolis, In... Can't ya see? ;)