PDA

View Full Version : Soliciting shop names

Dave Anderson NH
04-05-2004, 4:30 PM
In the vein of Donnies thread I've been struggling trying to come up with a name for my hand tool making side business. I liked Acorn Toolworks, but the name and URL are already taken by someone though the web address is inactive. I also want to avoid anything with Dave or Anderson to avoid confusion with Dave's Shaves another NH toolmaker and Wayne Anderson a maker of fine infill planes.

I had thought of Chester Toolworks and that is a possibility still. I'm open to suggestions from the group. Remember that I make marking knives cutting gages, panel gages, and awls, so it's hand tools only. My inclination is for something relatively short and something which would allow me to bet a metal stamp made so that I could stamp a logo into my tools.

Bart Leetch
04-05-2004, 4:38 PM
How about Chester's Tool's that Work

John Weber
04-05-2004, 4:54 PM
Dave.

How about Chesterfield Tools, I don't know - has a ring of sorts.

John

Carl Eyman
04-05-2004, 4:58 PM
You may well have thought of and rejected the state nickname as a factor. But Granite Markers, Granite Tools, etc. all sound so solid. ;) If it weren't so long Old Man Of the Mountain would be good. Using the profile as a logo is a possibility, though.

Roger Myers
04-05-2004, 5:17 PM
We are all hoping that Dave's outstanding tools last longer than even the Old Man of the Mountain, who met his demise last year!!

Dave - I like something along the lines of Granite State Tool Works, with your makers mark to be "GSTW"....if a name like that is not already taken!

Roger

Ken Garlock
04-05-2004, 5:57 PM
D. A. Tools

Gauge us by our work

Ed Falis
04-05-2004, 6:08 PM
There are several good suggestions there. I particularly like Roger's GSTW idea. Can't say why, just that I'd like to see those letters together as a mark on your tools.

- Ed

Glenn Clabo
04-05-2004, 6:25 PM
Ya know Dave...I like Chester ToolWorks best...CTW?
Then there's
Chester Hand Tools ... CHT
or Hand Tools of Chester...HTC
or NH ToolWorks
or NETools
or New England ToolWorks

...But I still like Chester ToolWorks

Chris Padilla
04-05-2004, 7:51 PM
Dave,

For some strange reason, I keep thinking of "cold-rolled steel" when I think of you so names like:

Frosty Toolworks
Chilly Toolworks
Glacier Bay Handtools (any good bodies of water around?)

Polar, Arctic, Sub-Zero, Wintry

However, I know you heat up your steel to temper it so dunno why I am thinking this way. :confused:

The word tool has many synonyms: instrument, implement, gauge, device, utensil, apparatus, contrivance, mechanism, appliance, contraption, gadget, gizmo, doohicky, thingamajig, whatchamacallit, etc. :p

Tony Falotico
04-05-2004, 8:37 PM
Awl Hand Tools

Chris Messier
04-05-2004, 10:26 PM
Handy Hand Tools

John Miliunas
04-05-2004, 11:05 PM
Awl Hand Tools

Strangely, I'm at a loss for this one, BUT, I really like the one Tony came up with! Also, a quick check indicates the whole name isn't a registered domain name, although AHT is. :cool:

Aaron Koehl
04-06-2004, 8:41 AM
The word tool has many synonyms: instrument, implement...whatchamacallit, etc

or Keith's favorite: thingy-doochie.
Can't tell you how many of these he has lying around in his shop. :D

Mark Singer
04-06-2004, 9:35 AM
Dave,
You can use my name ...I would be very proud to say I made any of your knives etc...

Sparky Paessler
04-06-2004, 10:11 AM
How about Neanderthal Tools

Dennis Peacock
04-06-2004, 10:49 AM
What about:

<font size=+2><b>Big Bubba's Board Bayou!<b></font> :D :D :D

<B>OR</b>

Why not just go with Chester Toolwork?

Ian Barley
04-06-2004, 3:53 PM
No great suggestions but a couple of tips to bear in mind.

I was always told to try and come up with a name beginning with "A". As long as it is not horribly contrived (Aardvark Tools!) you will gain an advantage by appearing earlier in alphabetical lists. It works for me (Adirondack Outdoors).

Also, if you are interested in web marketing, think about how people might find you in a search engine and try and get some of those words into your domain name. Engines like Google weight words on your site against the search partly depending on where they appear on your web page. The highest weighting is put against words appearing in the URL. So "www.handcraftedtools.com" will work really well for a search on "hand crafted tools".

These may not be huge considerations but any advantage you can get is worth having.