PDA

View Full Version : Advice on buying used Delta Rockwell Jointer

Ken Zahn
05-08-2008, 11:25 AM
I am looking at this jointer at an online auction. It is reconditioned, and does not have the original motor from what I can tell, which is okay by me. I plan to use this jointer a good amount. Assuming the table is flat (I have asked the seller to clarify this) is this a good deal? Thanks for your thoughts!!!

removed ebay link per TOS

Thanks, Ken

Victor Stearns
05-08-2008, 1:18 PM
It appears that someone has taken the time to clean and paint the unit. Having a new motor is a plus. I would check the bearings in the cutter head. It they turn freely and without side-to-side play than go for it!
I purchased an older DeltaRockwell bandsaw and could not be happier.
Good Luck
Victor

Ben Cadotte
05-08-2008, 1:32 PM
Can you go look at it? I would be heistant to buy a machine without looking at it. The price is about 1/2 of a new Griz so its priced is inline with used machine of its size. Being an older Delta it probably has years of good service left. Although I have heard Delta is no longer supporting its older equipment. :-(

Jeff Duncan
05-08-2008, 5:16 PM
I would be hesitant about the machine unless it's a very good deal. My personal feelings on used machinery are similar to antiques, either it's untouched and it's in "as is" condition, or it's been redone by a professional who knows what they're doing. Otherwise you really don't know what has been done to the machine, and what's been hidden behind layers of paint. Also not being able to inspect it is another negative.
Having said that I have bought machines off the bay sight unseen, but man were they gloats. I spent roughly 33 cents on the dollar, the machines were all industrial tools, and all less than 3 years old with decent pics, so I felt fairly comfortable.
Good luck,
JeffD

Kevin Newman
05-08-2008, 5:32 PM
I actually own a delta rockwell jointer just like this one. The only difference is mine came with a motor and a closed base that the jointer is mounted to. Mine was complete and in better condition than the one on ebay, but I paid $150 for it a few years back.

I have been surprisingly very happy with it. One thing I like about it is the longer fence. Its nice to have the longer fence to rest your board against. Most newer jointers dont have the longer fence. Theres only a short one in the middle.

With that said, I dont think I would be willing to pay much more than $75 for it without a motor and stand. I think this might be a little high Looks like shipping is another $50 on top of the winning bid.

Ken Zahn
05-08-2008, 7:01 PM
Thanks, all. Sounds like it might be too much for it, but I am really on the lookout for one of these.
Ken

Pete Bradley
05-08-2008, 7:33 PM
"Reconditioned" can mean anything from a brush paint job to a full high quality rebuild. Table flatness is something I wouldn't trust the average seller to measure, and it's probably not at the top of my list of things to be concerned about. It's not that it isn't important, but old jointers have tables alignment problems all the time that are easily remedied, while a crack in the wrong place would be "game over". It takes a *lot* of use to wear into a good "old iron" table enough to matter.

Buying old machines is all about condition vs. price. If you don't know condition firsthand, you really can't determine whether the price is good or bad.

Jeff Duncan
05-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Pete, tables flatness and alignment are two different issues to look out for in older machines. Cast iron can and does occasionally warp, so checking for flatness with a used (or even new) machine is always a good thing. If it's out of alignment that's an easy fix, but if a tables are not flat, well that's a whole other problem, usually not easily remedied.

JeffD