PDA

View Full Version : Photo on white marble- different method

Darren Null
05-08-2008, 11:08 AM
Method:

1) Make sure your marble has a good and smooth polish on it.
2) Burn image....HARD!
3) Spray with acrylic car paint
4) Spray liberally with WD40 and wipe down with a rubber-edged windscreen cleaner
5) Repeat step 4) until you're happy with the colour- this does manually what the brightness control does on your computer...gradually lightens the image up.
6) Let dry
7) Buff up any smeary bits with a felt pad, lightly WD40'd (I did make a dremil tool for this, but it couldn't hack 14,000 RPM and disintegrated, nearly causing me to sing soprano...manual methods are OK too, I suppose).

Dee Gallo
05-08-2008, 11:35 AM
That is really nice work! Do you let the paint dry 1) a little, 2)not tacky to touch or 3) overnight hard before the WD-40 step?

BTW- I do a lot of color filling and I use one of those silicone cake spatulas as a squeegee - works like a charm and cleans super easily! It is 6" long. Silicone seems to hold it's edge longer than the rubber I used to use. You can buy silkscreen squeegees (rubber or silicone) in almost any length which are much more substantial in thickness, come with a handle and can be sharpened like an iceskate.

Darren Null
05-08-2008, 11:47 AM
I don't let the paint dry at all. Straight in there with the WD40.

I'm going to have to give a silk screen or silicone squeegee a go. My old windscreen cleaner is a bit worn and results could have been better, I think. Still, the felt pad/WD40 at the end got all the marks out.