PDA

View Full Version : Used Delta Shaper 43-375 or New Grizzly G1026?

Charlie T. Bear
05-08-2008, 9:51 AM
I can get a very nice used Delta Shaper 43-375 for $895 I was planning on buying a New Grizzly G1026 which also sells for $895. I know at first glance the new one should be better howver Delta is a good Brand??

Both are 3 horse. The delta is in very good condition no rust everything is tight. It has the origanl fence on it which has no Micro adjustment but I dont believe the Grizz has that either. What are your opinions?

I am so confused!

Jeff Duncan
05-08-2008, 10:08 AM
Do you want shiny and new, or better quality used. I wouldn't presume to tell you which is a better choice for your shop. I also personally wouldn't ever call a Grizzly a better machine than a Delta, though if their quality keeps slipping someday it may come to that.
I had the Delta and it's a nice little unit. My experience is the price may be a little high for a used one with the standard fence. I just sold my 5 year old X5 with the micro fence for $700. It definitely had some use on it and needed a small fix, (didn't have the switch mounting bracket), but it was in good working condition. That's pretty much the ballpark I've seen them going for, though new there more like $1800 I think. I guess you could also look at it like this, for $895 you can either buy a used Delta for half price or a Grizzly for full price.
I know some guys are hesitant to buy used and that's ok. It does open up a lot of potential problems. But I'm a convert and am slowly replacing all the new stuff I purchased with older better equipment. One of my most recent replacements was a 30 year old SCM 20" planer which replaced a brand new $3700 Bridgewood planer. I also thought a new import of that caliber would be a better choice than an older machine with potential problems. Well I learned my lesson, now I'll go for better quality used over new any day of the week, but that's just me.
good luck,
JeffD

Ben Cadotte
05-08-2008, 10:12 AM
I would only get the Delta if it has USA on the label. If its foreign made your just paying new price for a used machine that is no better in quality over import stuff. If the Delta is a USA machine. I would get it over the Griz. If its a foreign machine I would get the new Griz. There is a quality difference between US made and foreign made Delta machines!!

Charlie T. Bear
05-08-2008, 3:36 PM
He said It was made in the US The machine is from the 80's

Ben Cadotte
05-08-2008, 3:57 PM
I would go over with $800 in one pocket and see if he bites. Keep that last c note in another pocket. Have him spin it up and maybe run a piece of wood through it. Then spool it down and listen for bearing chatter. If it sounds good I would get it. Oh, and ask if he has the guard for it or not. Not shown in the pic.

I would take a used 80's Delta shaper. Wouldn't take a newer used one for that price though.

Peter Quinn
05-08-2008, 7:18 PM
I have the same shaper (Delta), wouldn't pay $895 for it, I paid $600 for a unit that had not been used and still had cosmoline on the tables. Delta has made most parts for it obsolete recently, so if something goes that you can't source locally you may be TSOL. The old stock fence is a real POC, I upgraded to the X5 which is great, required retapping the holes for the hold down bolts.

The delta is a solid tool with a simple proven design that dates back to Rockwell and a very smooth raising/ lowering mechanism. Mine has a good Leeson motor and plenty of power for most things. It was a hassel getting the table square to the spindle and I had to change to a VX belt to get rid of some minor chatter the stock belt was introducing.

I can't speak for the Grizzly as I've never used one but I do have to wonder what exactly you can expect for $895 brand new? A shaper is all about precision, so if its not precise and vibration free its crap.

Also, start looking for a power feeder if you need a shaper. They're good good friends!

Thomas Bennett
05-09-2008, 11:14 PM
I have the identical Delta as well as several larger shapers. I like the size of the D3 horse for a quick change to another set-up. I never use the factory fence so for me it’s never an issue. Make your own out of Baltic birch, or whatever you have. I find the factory fences too limiting. And get a stock feeder…they’re great. Not to be negative, don't buy the other brand!

Burt Waddell
05-10-2008, 12:02 AM
I bought a Grizzly new. Buy the Delta!!

Charlie T. Bear
05-11-2008, 7:41 AM
OK I pulled the trigger on the Delta, Had to give 850 for it but its in really nice shape. I Saw the grizzly the last time I was down at Grizzly I wasnt really impressed. I am palnning on going to the tent sale next week. In the market for a 20" planer and a cyclone. Hopefully there will be a deal there.

Has anyone gone to one of there tent sales? Maybe I should start a new thread on this.

Anyway Thank you all for your input You guys really helped me out. I gotta send some money into this site its VERY useful!