PDA

View Full Version : Pricing Help - Spindle

Jim Underwood
05-08-2008, 9:47 AM
I need some help deciding how much to charge for making two of these legs. I've got to glue up some 1" thick pieces of White Oak to create a blank for this leg that will be 13-1/4" x 4" finished.

This is not quite the final configuration, but it gives you the general idea. These are to replace some legs on an antique piece. The legs got lost in shipping somehow.

I had a commercial outfit quote these at around $200 each.

Geoff Hanha
05-08-2008, 10:46 AM
Your doller to our pound so around £100 each not bad for a commercial biz and taking in to acount that you are gluing up stock and that these are not a stock item its not a bad price. I would not do the pair for less than £150.00
Wood, glue, sealer sanding media electric, wear and tear on tools even down to daft things like clean clothes. It might sound daft or petty but its all stuff you pay out for, so you charge for everything and not forgetting your time, its hard at time to work out priceing if you are not in biz, this is a big thing that gets people, and were all soft enough to give stuff away, but remember if they have come to you and you are cabable of doing the same job or better than the so called real boys charge the money if the people are not happy with what you say there option is to go pay more if they are happy to do that then let them. All the best..Geoff

Jim Underwood
05-08-2008, 10:53 AM
Thanks Geoff.
At the current exchange rate that comes out to $293 in US Dollars.

I was thinking that I'd charge $100 each for these. That's just about half of the commercial price. I figure I don't have the over head. I haven't run any prices past this guy yet.

Any other ideas?

Reed Gray
05-08-2008, 11:05 AM
I am not a spindle turner, but I can fake it. Those look pretty detailed to me. I don't know if there are facets on them or if that is the computer generated picture. Without the facets, $100 each wouldn't be too bad, but with them, you would have to charge more. $200 each wouldn't be out of line. It is also a special run, and it wouldn't be practicle to set up a duplicator. For me, I would also do an extra one or 2 because I know one or more wouldn't turn out the way I would want.
robo hippy

Steve Schlumpf
05-08-2008, 11:14 AM
Installed? Was wondering if you have to install the legs also?

To me, $100 is a little on the cheap side. If they are as detailed as your rendition - they are going to take some time. Plus you have sanding and what ever finish/stain to match the existing furniture. Without more details I would start at $150 each - but that's just me.

Best of luck and I hope you get the sale - it's great experience!

Jim Underwood
05-08-2008, 11:16 AM
Reed,

It's faceted because it's a computer generated DXF wire frame. It should really be totally round.

And yes it's quite detailed. Luckily some of those details will be easier because they are just fillets - not shown accurately in the picture. I still need to redraw this closer to the actual object.

Geoff Hanha
05-08-2008, 11:16 AM
Jim, i don't who they are that want the work done, if friends fam or someone put on to you, but stick a little more than the half on then run it by them you can always drop it down being such a nice guy:D but if you start in at that they might try comeing it. been there done it so many want things for nothing and try it on. if they say yes to the bit you have added and happy then you can always be nice and say you know what give me a 100 each im in a good mood and for future good will..Geoff

Jim Underwood
05-08-2008, 11:21 AM
Nope. No install, no finish. Just sanded.

I'm supplying a furniture refinisher/woodworker who doesn't turn. This may lead to future work if I can't convince him to join our club...

Frank Kobilsek
05-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Jim,

A little biz advice I got a long time ago about pricing:

'First liar looses' In other words it real hard to go up once the first number is offered.

Good luck

Frank

Bernie Weishapl
05-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Jim I agree. I would not start less than $150 each for that type of leg. I did a couple not quite as fancy as yours and charged $100 each.

Nathan Hawkes
05-08-2008, 12:58 PM
Another vote for $150. Don't sell yourself short. They can't get it for less than you're charging, and you're going to do as good a job, and with no less work than they would have to put out. Unless you're doing it as a "favor" or are getting something else out of the job, and they know you're giving them a very special deal, then I wouldn't charge less than $150.

Matt Hutchinson
05-08-2008, 2:13 PM
$150 sound about right. I have done a couple of jobs for a local millwork shop, and you don't get efficient in duplicating by hand until about the third piece. But don't charge for your inexperience. If you charge $25 each for materials, and it taked 5 hrs to glue up and turn each piece, that's $25 an hour ($300 for both). To me, it's hard to justify charging more than this, especially if you are a part-time turner. Even if you took a really long time, it would be difficult to make less than $15/hour at that bid.

Now don't take this the wrong way, I am confident you can make a good product. As a reference, I had to make 5 bun feet 7" in diameter, with a little bead far over the tool rest. I only charged $200 for this job. Yes, that's low, but the materials were provided, and the last three I did only took me 45 min each.

Hutch

P.S. I wouldn't ever charge that low again. I agree with John Bartley's statement to a point. For me it was a matter of getting $200 or nothing....I was desparate.

Glenn Hodges
05-08-2008, 3:39 PM
I had a job for 10 acorns about 10 inches high and 5 inches wide sanded only with no finish. I charged them $125 each. The customer was very happy with the price. They could not find them in the wood they wanted or size to duplicate old ones in a home. The first 2 took some time, but the others were easy. I would say $150 would be giving the person a price break.

John Bartley
05-08-2008, 5:55 PM
I would like to put in a business-mans $0.02 worth here (having been self-employed for many years) and add my vote to those who are advocating charging more (but fairly) rather than less. A person who can make these turnings has a skill that very few people have. Regardless of what your overhead is, or whether or not you are making a living at turning, this skill has a value. If you under-price your skill (asset), you are in effect subsidising your customer, devaluing your skill, and you are also creating a price point competition that full time turners can't hope to meet, especially if they have a "normal" business with rental space, taxes etc. There is rarely a situation in commerce where being the lowest priced person on the block benefits anyone, and that includes the customers in the long run. I understand full well that the desire to "help" is very strong, especially where that desire crosses paths with your favourite hobby, but in the long run a price which is fair to everyone is always the best policy.

Personally I would "cost" the project - material etc, calculate how long it would take to make, and then add a labour charge in $/hour that would make you a good living if you were self employed.

And as always, this is only an opinion.

cheers eh?

Edit (for Hutch) : Yup!! I understand completely - I've been there a couple of times myself - hopefully won't have to be there again :)

Dick Strauss
05-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Jim,
I wouldn't use 1" material to make a 4" turning unless it were going to be painted to hide the grain disconinuities.

$150 each sounds about right to me.

Jim Underwood
05-09-2008, 1:10 PM
Well I thought about that. These are going to have a very dark stain on them.

My concern was the prominent ray flecks on White Oak....

Art kraft
05-10-2008, 7:04 PM
Jim, That is the type of work I have done for years. $200 is ok but not high. My hydraulic tracer could do that in about 5 min ea. another 5 Min with hand tools for cleanup. Not sure I would do it for that and definitley not for less.