PDA

View Full Version : New to SMC and recent project

Mike Palmer
04-05-2004, 1:49 PM
Just joined the creek a few weeks ago. I though I would share a project that I have been working on for a few months. The pictures are of a cabinet system consisting of a series of lateral file cabinets and upper tops to go into my wife's Chiropractic office. This is phase 2 of the project. I built the reception desk about a year ago and this will be installed behind the desk. When these cabinets are installed, I will post pictures of the finished product. I still have to fabricate a corinan top to go on the file cabinets. The materials used are maple/bubinga solids and veneers.

Glenn Clabo
04-05-2004, 1:53 PM
Man...I'm impressed! That's bew-tee-full! Can't wait to see it all together.

Waymon Campbell
04-05-2004, 1:56 PM
Wow...Super design and execution. I especially like the way you trimmed out the shelving and the crown with bubinga. Can't wait to see the final pix. What color countertop are you going to use?

Greg Tatum
04-05-2004, 2:20 PM
Mike, that is definately high-end work...beautiful look...I love the contrast of the wood you chose.

Greg

Jim Becker
04-05-2004, 2:31 PM
Outstanding work, Mike! Very inspiring. And welcome aboard. SMC is a nice place to hang your boots!

John Miliunas
04-05-2004, 2:43 PM
Sheeesh...A guy just jumps on board and right away makes me feel inferior! Hrmph! :D (Just kiddin'....!) Very impressive work, Mike! That's one lucky office, me thinks. People will come in and, after seeing that, will forget what the heck they came in for! Oh, and welcome to the Creek! Fantastic bunch of folks out here! Come often, stay long and keep those pics coming! :cool:

Donnie Raines
04-05-2004, 2:44 PM
Good looking stuff! I always get sucked in my some highly figured wood......highly figured anything for that matter... :p

DonnieR

Carl Eyman
04-05-2004, 2:46 PM
Fine work. Glad to have such a talent join us.

Howard Rosenberg
04-05-2004, 2:48 PM
You've got fantastic taste and I'm really glad you joined us here! Howard

Ken Fitzgerald
04-05-2004, 2:57 PM
Mike,

Welcome to the 'Creek!

Love your taste for the contrasting woods! Great looking craftsmanship!

Ken

Keith Starosta
04-05-2004, 3:01 PM
Holy Crap, Mike!! That's gorgeous!!! The more I see pieces like this, the more I am falling in love with the contrast of maple and any other dark wood (walnut, bubinga, etcl) Very, very nice.

Did you cut the cove moulding yourself on the table saw?

Keith

Chris Padilla
04-05-2004, 4:01 PM
Mike,

I'm not sure I can add more to what was already said but it is a crisp, tight design.

For the two shelves in the bottom pic, did you edge band the maple with bubinga or how did you do that?

Frank Pellow
04-05-2004, 4:19 PM
Welcome to the Saw Mill Creek forum. Your project more than qualifies you to participate. I am looking forward to seeing more from you.

Mike Palmer
04-05-2004, 9:22 PM
Thank you very much for the warm welcome. I am glad to be a part of the forum. I will try to answer some of the questions that were asked.

Waymon - The color of the corian top will be called "Sandstone". This will match the lower top on the reception desk.

Keith - Yes, I made the cove molding on the table saw. I make all of my moldings for projects. I use a router table, table saw or both depending on the profile I am after.

Chris - The shelves on the open cabinet have solid bubinga glued to the maple plywood. I decided the open cabinet needed more bubinga to say in balance with the surounding cases.

When the cabinets are installed, I will follow-up with some additional pictures of the entire unit. Thanks again for the reception.

Mike Palmer

Cliff Newton
04-05-2004, 10:11 PM
You may be new to the Creek, but you're definitely not new to woodworking. Nice job.

Jason Tuinstra
04-05-2004, 11:18 PM
Mike, welcome to SMC. That is some outstanding work you've posted. The figured veneer looks incredible. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Pete Harbin
04-06-2004, 12:37 AM
Wow! That veneer is amazing! Very nice work. Folks will either be too intimidated to file anything, or they'll keep going back to take things in and out.

Michael Ballent
04-06-2004, 1:35 AM
WOW!!! What an introduction!!! Certainly puts my stuff to shame :D Welcome and sit a spell :)

-Michael

Mark Singer
04-06-2004, 9:44 AM
Really nice design and great workmanship....!!!

Stewart Crick
04-06-2004, 12:11 PM
Very nice Mike! When does class begin? :D

Stu

Bill Hogue
04-06-2004, 1:31 PM
Hello Mike,

Great job on the cabinets.

Second thing is that I grow up in Birmingham (Center Point). I moved to Huntsville about 15 years ago, but still consider B'ham home sweet home.

Bill Hogue

Christopher Stahl
04-06-2004, 1:52 PM
Mike, these are gorgeous! You did a wonderful job and I look forward to seeing the final products installed.

I love this forum. It's very inspiring when I see this kind of work.

chris

Bob Marino
04-06-2004, 3:48 PM
Mike,

Can only repeat what the others have said; welcome aboard and great work!

Bob

Kelly C. Hanna
04-06-2004, 9:53 PM
Wow....very, very nice work....makes me look like....well, a carpenter...:D

Seriously, I like the choice of wood you made...the design and execution is top shelf! Welcome to the best forum on the web for woodworking.