PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to Remove a few "nibs"?

Glen Blanchard
05-08-2008, 8:50 AM
I have a project which has received its 5th (and presumably, final) coat of Waterlox. Each coat was very lightly sanded prior to the application of the subsequent one - the last coat with 600 grit. The piece has some nibs in a few locations. I could lightly sand the whole thing again and apply another coat, but was hoping to avoid this. Is there a way to smooth these areas without destroying the gloss that has built up? I think I read somewhere about using a brown paper bag. Anybody use this technique?

Steve Schoene
05-08-2008, 9:38 AM
I would certainly try the brown paper bag technique. Crumple it and smooth it out several times before using. An extremely light touch with a scraper may also work without making much impact on the surrounding surface.

Otherwise you pretty much have to to a "rub-out lite". Remove the nibs with 600 grit, then touch with 1200 grit to remove the scratches and then rub with rottenstone to bring back the gloss. Be gentle, you don't have much film thickness to work with.

mike holden
05-09-2008, 9:23 AM
the brown paper bag IS an abrasive!
I would consider it to be about 600 grit.
I am involved in warranty returns for Chrysler, and when chrome bumpers are returned in cardboard boxes, it is surprising to see the amount of abrasions in the chrome from the cardboard. It has also been an issue with shipping fuel filler doors to the assy plant - leaves lines corresponding to the corrugations in the metal surface.

I WOULD recommend using the paper bag to remove the nibs, BUT you will have to either polish or wax the surface after.

For myself, I apply wax with a grey scotchbrite pad, cutting the nibs and smoothing the surface in one step.
Mike

Reed Wells
05-09-2008, 4:24 PM
Glen, If it is a gloss finish, try a light rub with a good grade typing paper, I have used this trick a few times with good results.