PDA

View Full Version : Mother's Day woodworking ideas?

Jeff Atnip
05-08-2008, 8:34 AM
I know it is kind of late to bring this up. I am trying to think of something simple that I can involve my two boys in. They are ages 14 and 11. It would be something for their mother (my wife). She may be out of the house for a few hours on Saturday and that would be the time. I have a table saw, jigsaw, drill and lots of hand tools. Thanks for any ideas.

Eric DeSilva
05-08-2008, 8:47 AM
Cheese board?

Wall clock?

J. Z. Guest
05-08-2008, 9:29 AM
Hi Jeff, I built this canted wall shelf (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=83503) for my mother in law. If you avoid the dovetails and use dowels, screws & plugs, or even just nails & glue, these might be perfect.

For my own mom, I'm going to build a lap desk so she can grade papers in her easy chair. She has bought several aftermarket ones, but they don't seem to come up to her spec.

Bruce Pennell
05-08-2008, 9:35 AM
Wooden spoons, you cut them out on the bandsaw let the kids sand and finish them. Bandsaw boxes are also fun. If you have a lathe, bowls, candy dish, ring box. Cheese boards are great way to use up your little scrap pieces of wood. Good Luck...Bruce
Don't forget a holder Box or hanger for the spoons. My 15 year old Granddaughter loved doing spoons and other items for her mom.

Bob Grimshaw
05-08-2008, 9:46 AM
I'm making a wrapping paper organizer for mother's day. I saw plans in a craft magazine last year (sorry, don't have them with me). It is dead simple. Rout a decorative profile on two pieces of hardwood, maybe 4x4x1 to act as a base and a top. Drill holes in a checker-board pattern in the top and stopped holes in the bottom and slide in dowels long enough to hold the paper. You can either buy premade caps for the dowels or turn them I guess if you have the ability, but glue something on the top end of the dowels that will allow them to be easily pulled out of the assembly to change the wrapping paper.

I don't think I described this project very well, but essentially it is just two plaques separated by many 36" dowels that will organize wrapping paper in a decorative way.

David Giles
05-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Paper tower holder. 6" diameter / octagon base with a 13" long x 1" oak dowel glued into a partial depth hole. Rubber feet on the bottom.

Jim Becker
05-08-2008, 11:00 AM
There are all kind of small things that can be made of wood for use in the kitchen and home that might be appreciated! Most are very simple, requiring a minimum of tools and material, too. That means fast and safe.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-08-2008, 11:32 AM
David's idea of a paper towel holder is a great one. A number of years ago we hosted Little League baseball teams when they were in town for state championship tournaments. One young man from southern Idaho gave my wife a paper towel holder he had made. It resides on our kitchen counter 20+ years later, still being used.

Roger Warford
05-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Picture frame. Precut the pieces and have the boys help glue, sand and finish. Put a picture of them in it to complete the project.

Jeff Atnip
05-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Thanks to everyone. These are good ideas.