PDA

View Full Version : Need pointers to veneering resources

gnachman
05-08-2008, 2:19 AM
I'm planning to build a table top with a cocobolo veneer. I would plan to resaw the cocobolo myself. However, I've never done any veneering, so I need to learn how--and I want to get it right on the first try :). The table top will be 46"x27", with a plywood base, and a solid cocobolo frame to hide the edge of the plywood. I have access to a large vacuum press and a good bandsaw with a wide blade. What I'm looking for is:

1) A book that explains how to do this with as much detail as possible. I don't mind reading a lot, but I do mind making a mistake due to ignorance.

2) Any advice specific to veneering cocobolo. I guess this isn't done much because not many places sell pre-cut cocobolo veneer. I know I should clean off the oil with acetone or naphtha before gluing, and that the wood is (somewhat) toxic, but is there anything else I should keep in mind?

Thanks for your help!

Jim Becker
05-08-2008, 8:17 AM
http://joewoodworker.com

One of the best resources for veneering "out there" and Joe's associated supply site carries everything you need.

Michael McCoy
05-08-2008, 8:57 AM
Like Jim said - joewoodworker is a great resource. The best book I've seen on the subject is:

Veneering: A Foundation Course: Revised Edition (Paperback)

It can be had on Amazon for under $10 but I have seen it in my local library.

Al Navas
05-08-2008, 9:32 AM
http://www.vacupress.com/vacuumveneering.htm

Give Darryl Keil a call. He provides terrific Tech Support and Customer Support, too!

Brad Shipton
05-08-2008, 12:15 PM
I would add Darryl's forum on his website and his DVD's are totally worth it.

Certainly wood is another great source for veneer supplies.

Brad

Steve Bagi
05-08-2008, 12:23 PM
http://www.certainlywood.com/

Top grade veneer and great service.

Steve

Jim Tobias
05-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Agree with Al and Brad about Darryl Keil. His videos and the forum at Vacupress are both tremendous resources. I would also add that Paul Schurch's website and videos are excellent although they are more geared toward decorative veneering (marquetry).

Jim

Mike Spanbauer
05-08-2008, 2:14 PM
Darryl is the guy that made Pro veneering available to amateurs and small shops. He's a pioneer in the space. Joewoodworker has taken the level that Darryl brought us and made it even more affordable (albeit more work to assemble) systems.

Both provide excellent resources for basic knowledge, however you want to get this right on your first try you say? Well, do you have a drum sander? Can you do a couple of pre-cocobolo panels to get a feel for feed rate (technique is KING on the bandsaw for consistent high quality shop sawn veneer) and other challenges?

It's not that it's terribly difficult, just that it takes some skill and practice to achieve finish quality results. If you absolutely must have those on your first attempt with the colobolo, you should practice on other less valuable materials first with an MDF substrate. For the practice, piece make sure you use the same substrate and glue as you will on the cocobolo so as to figure out some of the other potential "gotcha's" as well.

G'luck!

mike