PDA

View Full Version : Have you named your shop?

Donnie Raines
04-05-2004, 1:19 PM
Any of you labled your shop anything special? Lets see...we have the American WoodShop..the Woodrights Shop.......and then there is mine....Workshop DR(..DR being my initials). A llittle corny but I kinda like it...

Donnie Raines

Waymon Campbell
04-05-2004, 1:59 PM
LOML calls it "The Barn" just because she knows it irritates me! Gotta' love her.

Jim Becker
04-05-2004, 2:33 PM
Yup..."The Shop" :D

John Miliunas
04-05-2004, 2:39 PM
Yeah...I call it: "My Shop". LOML calls it: "Your Shop". And last, but not least, my daughter calls it: "Daddy's Shop". (I think I like the last one best!) :D :cool:

Donnie Raines
04-05-2004, 2:42 PM
You know what....I call it "my shop", also. but I named it "workshop DR"....go figure....

DonnieR

Keith Starosta
04-05-2004, 2:55 PM
Yeah...I call it: "My Shop". LOML calls it: "Your Shop". And last, but not least, my daughter calls it: "Daddy's Shop". (I think I like the last one best!) :D :cool:

As well you should, John!! :)

I call mine, "The Shop", but LOML still unceremoneously calls it, "the garage". :mad: I'll break her of that one day...

Keith

Kurt Aebi
04-05-2004, 3:01 PM
I call it "The Shop", LOML refers to it as "That MESS!!!!"

Ken Fitzgerald
04-05-2004, 3:02 PM
Cant' figure out why none of our spouses don't refer to our shops as "The Money Pit"?

Ken

John Miliunas
04-05-2004, 3:04 PM
Cant' figure out why none of our spouses don't refer to our shops as "The Money Pit"?

Ken

Hey KEN! Shhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Greg Heppeard
04-05-2004, 3:05 PM
Greyhawk's Woodworx

Bart Leetch
04-05-2004, 3:30 PM
Bart's Sawmill Pond

An adaption of the names of the 2 wood working forums I have enjoyed the most. It's also the name of my Web site.

Steve Clardy
04-05-2004, 4:04 PM

Ken

Hehe. Wife has called mine that for a LONG time. Steve

Glenn Clabo
04-05-2004, 4:07 PM
She usually calls it "A mess"... or "Your Shop"...

Frank Pellow
04-05-2004, 4:36 PM
The Shed. I have even had a sign made up for with thius name.

Donnie Raines
04-05-2004, 4:51 PM
Frank.....I am really disappointed that I did not see a inlayed sign made of mahogany and maple....

....though that "one" does look purty.... :D

DonnieR

Wolf Kiessling
04-05-2004, 6:46 PM
We call it "The Shop" or "The Studio" but I have two signs hanging on the outside which mainly identify my attitude.

One is an old Jimmy Buffet line, someone on SMC uses it in their signature line, "If we weren't crazy we'd sure go insane" and the other one is "We ain't got any and we don't want none"

Dean Baumgartner
04-05-2004, 7:43 PM
LOML and I both refer to it as the shop but my 7 year old daughter says it's "Daddy's Workshop" Guess she's got some expectations that I will actuall do some work in it.

Dean

Chris Padilla
04-05-2004, 7:52 PM
I wish it was "The Shop" but it ultimately is what it is: A Garage! :)

Dennis Peacock
04-05-2004, 8:36 PM
Yup....I call it: Albuh-Kwerky.......

This way LOML can tell the folks at work that have a tendency to call me after work at home that I'm in Albuquerque... :D

David LaRue
04-05-2004, 9:16 PM
Any of you labled your shop anything special? Lets see...we have the American WoodShop..the Woodrights Shop.......and then there is mine....Workshop DR(..DR being my initials). A llittle corny but I kinda like it...

Donnie Raines

My LOML calls my shop "The Cave" as a reference from the book
Men are from Mars Women are from Venus.

As a reviewer wrote this is where "Martians (men) play Mr. Fix-It while Venusians (women) run the Home-Improvement Committee; when upset, Martians "go to their caves" :D

I think this pretty much sums it for me. :cool: :rolleyes:

Dave

Ken Salisbury
04-06-2004, 7:05 AM
Here's what I call mine:

Joel Shapiro
04-06-2004, 8:28 AM
I call it "The Shop" but LOML calls it "The drop off point for anything I don't want anywhere I can see it."

Mike Evertsen
04-06-2004, 12:56 PM
I came up with a name that says it all

Rob Littleton
04-06-2004, 3:56 PM
I call mine "CLOSED"

:-(

Ian Barley
04-06-2004, 3:59 PM
I call mine "The Old Dairy"

This was arrived at after a great deal of consideration because it used to be a dairy and it's quite old.

(and yes - one day I will get round to posting some more pictures)

Dave Richards
04-08-2004, 12:52 PM
I call mine Eddie. :p

Tyler Howell
04-08-2004, 6:32 PM
It's "The Basement"
My daugthers called it " Daddy's Toy Room"
and I call it "Dusty"

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-11-2004, 1:33 AM
When I decided to get officially involved in woodworking about three years ago, I checked with other woodworkers about the size of their shop and what would be a minimum acceptable size. Basically they said "Nothing less then 24' X 48' would do!" I told them I only wanted to start doing small things, but they held their ground.

I didn't have nearly that much space available, but forged ahead anyway. SHMBO allowed me to have an area in the basement measuring about 9' X 10' - quite a bit less than I was told was minimum.

I was able to squeeze the following in it and still have a place to walk (Just barely!): 34" Sears Radial Drill Press, 9" Sears tabletop bandsaw, Sears 7" chop saw, Small work bench, 4" Joiner, 10" table Saw, Jet 1100 Dust removal system, a combo 6'belt/8" disk sander and a 16" sears scroll Saw. Everything is mounted on movable tables, so that when I'm not using it, it is out of the way (at least a little). When I want to use my Jet 13" planer or Jet Mini Lathe( which I use most of the time) they sit on my work bench, then are put back out of the way.

This all led me into naming it "THE CRYPT". Since Christmas, I have been allocated an additional 120 sq ft, so the original 90 sq ft is now "The Inner Sanctom" where all the dirt work is done. The additional space is mostly stiorage of drying wood and a finish area. The whole shop is still "The Crypt." I did build a permanent base for the lathe. It turned out fine ( Not Pretty, but Does the job well).

I hope you all get as much enjoyment out of woodworking as I do.

Bruce Shiverdecker
MHWoodturning, Etc.
MHWoodturning@hotmail.com

Fred Voorhees
04-11-2004, 4:41 PM
Yeah, I simply call it "My Escape"

Frank Pellow
04-11-2004, 7:50 PM
The sign that I posted earlier in this thread is for my workshop at my cabin in Northern Ontario. That workshop is called "The Shed".

I have decided to call the new workshop that I am building at my hime in Toronto "Shed #2".

Byron Trantham
04-13-2004, 12:21 PM
We have two shops, his and hers. They are referred to as "yours" and "mine" or vs versa depending on who is talking :D .

Blake McCully
04-15-2004, 9:34 AM
Well, the "official" name is Small Turnings Dot Com, no it's not a web site url, I just liked to add the Dot Com. Since SWMBO and I both turn and use the shop, she more than I since she's retired and I'm not yet :( , we generally refer to it as "the shop" or, since it's in our basement, we're always going "downstairs" :D

Blake

David Klug
04-15-2004, 10:22 AM
When my grandaughter was about 8 she made a sign for me and called it Grandpa's Workshop. She died from cancer, when she was 11 about 10 yrs., ago so the little sign has become very special to me.

DK

Mark Singer
04-15-2004, 10:39 AM
My shop named me..."Messy man with sawdust"

Bob Oswin
04-23-2004, 8:20 AM
Money Pit comes to mind. :D

bob

Jason Roehl
04-23-2004, 8:32 AM
Money Pit comes to mind. :D

bob
So does your wife call it the "Honey Pit" then? :D

Mine's definitely a Pit, but I haven't found any Money in there....;)

Mark Singer
04-23-2004, 9:21 AM
"Shop suey" :eek:

Mike Mastin
04-23-2004, 11:12 AM
"Garage-Mahal"

This name was given to my shop by a lady that we go to church with :-) She watched as it was being built and mentioned to me that she had never seen homes built with as much care and strength as my shop :D

Bill Karow
04-23-2004, 4:33 PM
Workshop DR

I like that. My brain, influenced by my job, automatically translates DR to Disaster Recovery. And the workshop is the best way to recover from a disastrous day, so it fits perfectly!

I was afraid my shop would be called "whenareyouevergoingtogetthegaragecleanedoutsoIcanp arkmycarinside??", but LOML has been remarkably supportive of the, um, reallocation of the space :)

Ned Bulken
04-26-2004, 1:51 PM
I'm partners with a great friend, and we recently upgraded our shop space from a dilapidated old carriage house, to a modern industrial business incubator. We were primarily looking for a better place to store our tools, but we wound up going into business. we call ourselves:

Madison Woodsmith

Gary Whitt
05-27-2004, 11:33 AM
I call mine "The Shed". :rolleyes:
SWMBO calls it the SAV (spousal avoidance center). ;)
She does not like going in there. :)
She does not like the texture of wooden items. (she can't even use a wooden toothpick)
She does not even want to drive my tractor. :)
I have a good wife.
Life is good.

Jack Wood
05-27-2004, 5:32 PM
I am lucky in that my last name is Wood so it just came naturally that we would call it "The Woodshed":D

Jack Wood
05-27-2004, 6:00 PM
Here's a pic of my shed sign:) And this is also my first try at putting a photo up, hope it works!:confused:

John Bush
06-11-2004, 12:53 PM
I built a shop a short distance from the house and when my wife's good friend visited and commented on the "cute little out building", we have since dubbed it the "GET THE #&%*@! OUT BUILDING". Seems to fit and helps her express her inner feelings. I had previously called it ,instead of The New Yankee Workshop, The Old Cranky Workshop. That's fitting also.