PDA

View Full Version : This is cool!

Jackie McGowan
05-08-2008, 12:03 AM
http://www.portablegadget.com/other-gadgets/beautiful-bird-bulb-shades

Too bad it needs to be metal for the heat of the bulb.

Sean Bullock
05-08-2008, 12:20 AM
And too bad they are beginning to outlaw incandescent bulbs. It would be difficult to put that thing on a flourescent.

Dewey Torres
05-08-2008, 12:34 AM
And too bad they are beginning to outlaw incandescent bulbs. It would be difficult to put that thing on a flourescent.

I didn't know they were being outlawed? Only certain states? Interestesting.
Dewey

Darren Null
05-08-2008, 6:08 AM
You could get a similar effect using 4-6 white cold cathode tubes spreading out from the tail and you could use whatever you like to do the rest of the bird shape...no heat to speak of.

Dan Hintz
05-08-2008, 8:22 AM
I didn't know they were being outlawed? Only certain states? Interestesting.
Dewey
Late last year (December'ish) Congress passed a bill that would "outlaw" incandescent sales after 2014. It will start with 100W bulbs in 2012, and end with the lowly 40W bulb in 2014. All bulbs sold must be 25-30% more efficient by 2014, and 70% more efficient by 2020 (compact fluorescents already meet that mark).

We're not the first, though... Australia is ahead of the game with banning to take place by 2010.

I agree with the basic idea, but the implementation (as usual for a governmental decree) leaves a lot to be desired. In the last 5 years LEDs have made MAJOR jumps in technology, something I don't see slowing down, so hopefully by that time LEDs will have at least met (if not surpassed) CFLs in their efficiency and efficacy. It would certainly remove the issue of mercury in the CFLs.

Bill Cunningham
05-08-2008, 11:20 PM
I also am not going to loose any sleep about it.. CF's now have a limited amount of time to be left on the market.. LED's are getting bigger, cheaper, better and use practically no electricity.. It's only a matter of time before those energy sucking compact FL units are banned as well :D