PDA

View Full Version : Dovetail Practice

gary Zimmel
05-07-2008, 9:12 PM
It has been a little while since I last did a project with handcut dovetails.

Not wanting to lose what I have learnt in a course I took from Rob Cosman I fiqured a little practising was in order.

The last few night was dedicated to using up a few pieces of scraps.
Here are the results.

87979 87980

87981 87982

All in all not a bad time to pass some time....

Jason Sutphin
05-07-2008, 9:29 PM
Ok dude - that's so cool! I wish I had time to sit down and even attempt that.

Spec's on saws and chisels, please!!!!:D

Mike Henderson
05-07-2008, 9:46 PM
You definitely haven't lost the touch. It's been too long since I made my last dovetails.

Mike

Jerry Olexa
05-07-2008, 10:18 PM
A relaxing way to spend some time...Nice work!!

Steve Pirrelli
05-07-2008, 11:01 PM
Looking good, you still got it.

Mark Stutz
05-07-2008, 11:02 PM
Doesn't look to me like you've forgotten anything. And since you learned from Rob, I'm bettin' they fit right off the saw!

Jim Becker
05-07-2008, 11:09 PM
VERY nice!

gary Zimmel
05-07-2008, 11:18 PM
Thanks Everyone

Mark

Robs rule, no test fitting......

Jason

I've only been doing handcut dovetails since last summer when I took a course. So if I can learn this I think anyone can.
To me you need good sharp tools and some instruction.

Here are the tools I use.

First picture is of all the layout tools.

#9, #4 1/2 , and a #140L

Crosscut (16ppi) and rip saw (15ppi) chisels and fishtail chisel

And my fret saw with a shop copy book on dovetails..

Roy Wall
05-07-2008, 11:59 PM
Gary -

Those look as good as the Master himself......:)

I love the trick of using the 140 skew plane for creating a small rabbet "shelf" on the tail board.....keeps things tidy.

Where did you get the dividers......I have a hodge podge set?

Thanks for posting!

Duncan Potter
05-08-2008, 7:58 AM
I've been trying to learn hand cut dovetails. Opened this thread thinking it would have some that look like mine..NOT!

Those are beautiful. Looks like I need some instruction!

Martin Shupe
05-08-2008, 9:15 AM
First let me say you make very nice dovetails.

Now, a couple of questions...

1) Where did you get your fishtail chisel?

2) Please tell me the brand of fret saw blades and where you get them. I have recently switched to sawing out some of my waste, but my blades keep breaking. I am using "0" size spiral blades from Woodcraft.

Thanks!

Roy Wall
05-08-2008, 12:06 PM
First let me say you make very nice dovetails.

Now, a couple of questions...

1) Where did you get your fishtail chisel?

2) Please tell me the brand of fret saw blades and where you get them. I have recently switched to sawing out some of my waste, but my blades keep breaking. I am using "0" size spiral blades from Woodcraft.

Thanks!

Martin -

I have the same problem with those spiral blades....two more to go...and I'll be rid of them. My next batch is from PS Wood. They are listed as their -- #7 blades.......11.5 tpi. I had an email from Rob C. and he told me what blade he uses (but I've lost the email :mad:)...but I think this is similar.

John Thompson
05-08-2008, 12:10 PM
Nice and very tight, Gary. Well done!

Sarge..

Mark Stutz
05-08-2008, 12:22 PM
Same problem here as well. The next ones I get will be from TFWW...will let you know how they work.

Mark

gary Zimmel
05-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Roy and Martin,

The fret saw blades are 5" 12.5 tpi, skip tooth.

I get mine from Rob.

Mark Singer
05-08-2008, 6:34 PM
Gary,
Great work! Practice always seems to help at every level

Jason Sutphin
05-08-2008, 7:18 PM
Those are some beautiful tools and dovetails. Good job. I am just starting dovetails, good job.

Clifford Mescher
05-10-2008, 10:01 PM
What a great inspiration. ..Clifford

Michael Gibbons
05-13-2008, 5:00 PM
I got my coping saw blades from either Tools for Working Wood ( pretty sure) or Tradtional Woodworker. I made my own fishtail chisel after I saw Rob Cosmans video. I e-mailed him and he said his was a 3/4 in that he ground himself. Bought the chisel at woodcraft.

Kevin Murdock
05-13-2008, 10:10 PM
Nice tape job on your handles, eh? :D

Only a Canadian would tape up the handles of his woodworking tools like a hockey stick. Right down to the twisted tape ropes for grip.

Thanks for the chuckles.

-Kevin

Matt Barber
10-18-2008, 8:55 PM
I just saw Rob Cosman today at the Canwest woodworking show in Abbotsford and I saw him make a one of those dovetail joints in 4 minutes. Needless to say I was amazed and if I get a chance one day to take his 5 day course I will most definately do it.

Matt

Jim Koepke
10-18-2008, 9:35 PM
I have bought fret saw blades from Lee Valley and have not had any problems.

I bought a pack of spirals and am still on the first blade.

Bought a pack of mixed and still on the first blade.

I think it came with some metal cutting blades that I used for some brass with no problem.

Not using them everyday, but so far, they have been doing good.

BTW, I must have half a dozen fret saws. Got a deal on eBay from someone selling them as coping saws.

jim

Alan DuBoff
10-19-2008, 12:37 AM
The coping saw blades from TFWW work just dandy. They allow me to get into all the kerfs of all the joinery saws I use, I think they are .018" thick. I like them.

Nice looking practice joints, very nice indeed.

John A Walker
04-22-2011, 7:04 AM
Very nice dovetailing. I like to chamfer (Shamfer) the corner of through dovetails for a final touch. The light reflects from the wood and from some angles the joint looks like a half-blind (Lap) dovetail. I noticed the effect in one of Krenov's books, maybe 30 years ago...

Also, if the carcass is one that is moved around a lot, (say a toolbox) this detail helps protect the corners from getting chipped or splintered so much.

Just a thought. (Of which I have many; yet express so few!) :D

John