PDA

View Full Version : Delta Tools- The Worst!!!

Clint Hood
05-07-2008, 3:34 PM
Anybody else had any bad experiences with Delta tools? I was under the impression that they were pretty good for the money, but now I know better....

Bought a Delta Midi lathe back around the first of February, and by the middle of March it had crapped out. Bought a Delta 12" drill press about the middle of March (a few days before the lathe died, of course), and it tore up within 15 minutes of cranking it up....Sent them both to the nearest Delta Service Center on March 22, and was told they would be fixed in 7-10 days....Well, it's May 7, and they are STILL in the shop....Supposedly the drill press is repaired, but they can't find the parts for the lathe....The service center claims they can't get the parts from Delta, as the lathe is "obsolete" (3 months old). Delta claims they can't tell if the service center has even ordered the parts yet....Classic case of the right hand having no clue what the left is doing....Been nothing but a big run-around....:mad: On top of that, when the Delta regional representative called me a little while ago (after I made a formal complaint), he was wanting to be a smart*** right from the start, cutting me off while I was trying to explain things to him....Really got the blood pressure up....But at lest he did bother to call me back. The guys at the service center don't even bother to do that....

Just wondering if anybody else has had any experiences like this with Delta....I know I'll never spend another dime on a Delta tool again....Poor quality, and the customer service sucks. And that's putting it nicely....Just had to vent a little....

John Pahl
05-07-2008, 3:55 PM
I have a delta TS and a small Drill Press. The Drill Press showed up busted up but the on line place I bought it from replaced the entire unit which also showed up damaged from shipping but it was in a different area so I took the two made one good one and haven't had an issue with it. My TS is the contractor style with cast iron wings. I've been happy with this saw for the most part.

I have had to deal with Delta customer service and you are correct they are the worst in the world!! They have made promises to send out replacement parts under warrenty that never showed up. When I call to find out why the next agent I talk to can't find where the first ever placed the order or even filled out the ticket so I can completly relate to your issues there.

Good Luck with your issue.

John

Luther Oswalt
05-07-2008, 3:57 PM
I have not had any problems with the Porter Cable side and I really don't have any Delta Tools to speak of BUT ... I have had nothing but problems trying to use their web sites! I was trying to check a part used in one of their machines and I just gave up!
Leo

Rick Levine
05-07-2008, 4:13 PM
I don't get it. I have several Delta tools including my Unisaw, air cleaners, RAS and others and have had only a few minor problems and those were handled quickly and efficiently by Delta's CS. Every time I've called them I got through quickly. I don't know if it is timing or what. I know that with some companies, for instance in the computer industry, there are cycles of good and poor service, maybe that is what you are experiencing with Delta right now.

Kim Spence
05-07-2008, 4:27 PM
I think it's "buyer beware" when making any major tool purchases anymore. Gone are the days where you can buy on brand name and feel comfortable that because you're buying from a big name company (i.e. Delta) that you'll get a premium quality product and good support after the sale. I think there are a few exceptions to that in the woodworking tool world (Festool and Lie Nielsen come to mind), but not many.

I think that to compete in the woodworking machinery market, Delta has had to largely become an importer of common foreign made tools (basically same stuff all the others are selling) and are no longer a premium brand. Not trying to knock on imported tools, most of my shop came out of Taiwan and I love all my tools and I own quite a few Delta tools (Unisaw, grinder, disc sander, mortiser, drill press), just pointing out that today's Delta isn't the same Delta of 20 years ago, now you're paying for the name and not a premium product.

Kim Spence
05-07-2008, 4:31 PM
I don't get it. I have several Delta tools including my Unisaw, air cleaners, RAS and others and have had only a few minor problems and those were handled quickly and efficiently by Delta's CS. Every time I've called them I got through quickly. I don't know if it is timing or what. I know that with some companies, for instance in the computer industry, there are cycles of good and poor service, maybe that is what you are experiencing with Delta right now.

I'm not 100% positive, but I believe each Delta service center is an independently owned/operated company licenced by Delta to service their tools and use the Delta name. That could explain the difference in service levels among different service centers. I used my local service center to have a PC sander rebuilt and service was sufficient, somewhat slow, but they did a fine job and the sander is as good or better than new.

Matt Meiser
05-07-2008, 4:32 PM
Other than the rep obviously not having a clue as to why a table saw would have a fence--I was waiting for her to ask chain link or picket?--I didn't have any trouble at all when I called last Monday to get a replacement cursor and screws for my Biesemeyer fence to replace the incorrectly packaged ones. And she sent them 2-day so they came on Wednesday.

But the quality of the fence was obviously a little less than the one that I bought in 2000. The fence's grip on the rail is not as tight, the paint quality not as good, and the packaging issue already mentioned (the bag was labeled for my fence but had parts that were definitely not for my fence.)

I do know that the place where I bought my TS in 2000 pretty much doesn't carry Delta anymore. When I asked, service was the main reason. They are mainly Jet/Powermatic/Steel City now for stationary tools.

Brent Smith
05-07-2008, 4:33 PM
My shop is full of Delta machines, and no serious problems to date. Most are American made so I can't comment on the newer stuff out there.

The secret to good service though is buying from a good retailer. You might save a few dollars buying online, but if theres a problem you're looking at service center that may or may not be good and relying on a person on the other end of the phone line that may be across the country or across the pond.

Clint, find a good reputable retailer near your home and strike up a rapport with them. they can usually get things done faster than a consumer can.

scott spencer
05-07-2008, 4:39 PM
Maybe I just got lucky but I've had no major problems within the design limitations of each Delta tool I've owned. Two Delta TS, Delta 37-195 jointer, a Delta utility sharpener, and a two portable Delta planers have all graced my shop at one time or another... all with no issues. Contacted CS once to get an extra decal and they sent it out at no charge without a glitch. Not a big Delta fan but have been satisfied for the most part with what's been here. Very sorry you're experience isn't the same.

Mike Heidrick
05-07-2008, 4:48 PM
My shop is 70% delta but it is all their BIG industrial stuff. No issues with any of it. I have used Delta service in Tn to replace a 5hp shaper motor (convert to single phase) and have used them a couple other times to get heaters for my LVCs. I also got a new cover for my shaper feeder as the one that was shipped was not perfect and I wanted it perfect for that $$$. Other than that no issues at all and teh parts all showed up in 2-3 days.

My advice, get big enough and heavy enough tools that you cannot take them to a service center. They typically build those better and you do not have issues with them. Many of the small tools are disposable.

Not sure what your DP and lathe are worth to you but it sounds like a reason to buy a Jet/PM/Oneway lathe and a Steel City DP to me.

J. Z. Guest
05-07-2008, 5:03 PM
They're not the Delta of old, that's for sure. But to address your situation, go over the regional rep's head. If you keep climbing the ladder, you'll sooner or later find someone who is professional enough to realize the impact you can have on their business and do the right thing. The just didn't maintain their quality control when they moved production to China. (MHO)

China is The Other Side. (where the grass is greener) Production costs are lower, but there's always gremlins waiting to hijack things. A company has to have pretty tight quality control to not suffer when producing over there.

Jeff Wright
05-07-2008, 5:06 PM
I just bought my first Delta product, an industrial slow-speed grinder. Too soon to pass judgement.

I am skeptical about their products overall . . . I have a concern that all their stuff is made overseas and they have inadequate quality control measures in place. Interesting that many of their management folks left that company and started up Steel City Tools. I too have been frustrated by their website. Have you ever tried to download an owner's manual?

Pat Germain
05-07-2008, 5:16 PM
I'm bummed to hear about problems with Delta tools. It's a brand I like. I admit they are not the company they used to be.

I have a Delta dust collector, drill press, grinder and planer. I've been very happy with all of them.

When shopping for a large bandsaw recently, I wanted to look at Delta machines. I couldn't find anyone who carried them. All I ever see are the small examples at Lowe's. Woodcraft reps told me they could order a Delta bandsaw. They couldn't say how long it would take to come in. And they never have them on the floor. I ordered a Grizzly.

Lance Norris
05-07-2008, 5:17 PM
I wont ever buy another Delta tool either. Ive had bad experiences with my morticer, my 1" belt sander and small dust collector. Missing parts, wrong hardware, bad welds. Ive learned my lesson. If I buy any more large power tools, it will be Grizzly or Jet. Both of these companies have had Asian manufacturing for a long time and have the bugs worked out, or maybe its that their managment still cares about quality. We know Shiraz does, we can bend his ear here at the Creek if need be, and I like that.

Jules Dominguez
05-07-2008, 5:20 PM
The (Ningbo Hailida) capacitor on my 14-month-old Delta AP400 dust collector burned out a couple of weeks ago. Wasn't happy about that, as I couldn't use my Sawstop without it. However, I brought the motor/blower assembly in to the Delta-Porter Cable - DeWalt service center on the northeast side of the Atlanta metro area, and they got a new capacitor in and installed it in about a week's time.
It was a warranty repair, the people were courteous and the center appeared to be well-organized and operated.

Jeff Duncan
05-07-2008, 5:21 PM
I've got a fair amount of Delta machinery and have played around with a lot of their smaller stuff too. The smaller tools are not the same quality as the bigger stuff. I currently have a 20" bandsaw, a Unisaw, and a 1hp 4 wheel feeder. Just recently sold a couple dust collectors, and a 3 hp shaper. The bigger machines are much better made IMO than some of the cheaper copies. However the smaller box store stuff is pretty light duty and very similar to the copies, to me not worth the money it costs.
Having said that even the bigger tools are starting to suffer from the increased competition overseas and they've obviously been cutting corners. Same with Powermatic, they're still better than any knock-offs I've looked at, but you can definitely see the cost cutting and overseas manufacturing taking there toll. I truly don't believe you'll see much change for the better. I believe they are selling what people want,...cheap. That's why companies like Grizzly and the rest are doing so well. People want tools but they're not willing to pay a premium for increased quality. Smaller shops and hobbiests are buying the cheaper imports, while pro's and bigger shops are looking to European manufacturers. Not sure where Delta is going to be in the future, but it doesn't look good to me.
My only advice is to buy older machinery, you know, the stuff made with iron. You'll probably do better with an old Craftsman, than any of the stuff out of a box store.
good luck,
JeffD

Peter Quadarella
05-07-2008, 5:25 PM
I haven't heard anything specifically bad until now, but I have been noticing for a while that no one is recommending the newer Delta stuff much. It gets less and less mention and other brands seem to be preferred over them. I had it in my mind that they've become a lesser brand and resolved to mostly stay away from them.

Of course, the older Delta stuff still gets pretty good praises.

Johnny Fischer
05-07-2008, 5:26 PM
I purchased a Delta P-20 scroll saw about a year ago. Upon opening the box, which had no indications of damage, the cast iron housing had a nasty crack in it approx. 2" long.
I took digitals and notified the selling company & they did replace it but this issue was from the factory themselves.
Have only used it twice so I really can complain about other defects.
On another note, I purchased my Powermatic shaper approx. 18 months ago. Shortly after I purchase a 6" cutter head & found out that it wouldn't fit in my shaper.
Apparently Powermatic's manufacturing sector started producing table tops for this unit before they revised their manufacturing proof prints
which resulted in approx 500 machines having a 5 5/8" throat opening instead of the normal throat opening of 7 5/8" opening.
SO, if you buy a Powermatic shaper be sure it is not one of the retard machines.
And yes, I got a brand new shaper from Powermatic. They do stand behind their customers.

glenn bradley
05-07-2008, 5:27 PM

I think Rick's experience vs. Clint's tells of the main frustration with Delta. No smooth flow. No single look and feel. They have all the trappings of a business that just happens to make tools, not the toolmaker they once were.

My DP had a small issue after about 9 months. Phone support arranged for "Delta Inhouse" to come out to my house and work on the DP as they didn't want me transporting it for fear of damage. Sounded good but the guy showed up (after trying to cancel twice and I had taken the day off work) and took the DP head with him anyway.

A month later I got it back and everything is fine. The delay was difficulty in getting parts for a current model still sold today. The repair tool about 2 hours, all the rest was Delta tripping over themselves. This just reinforces my feeling that vendor 'A' isn't bad while vendor 'B' is good. Different folks make different tools well and they all have some stinkers. Delta just seems to be real wobbly right now.

Mike Monroe
05-07-2008, 5:36 PM
All the Delta stationary tools (Unisaw, bandsaw, and drill press) in my shop have the "Made in U.S.A." sticker on them and none has ever given me any problems. But then I haven't purchased a Delta tool in over 10 years.

Rick Levine
05-07-2008, 5:38 PM
The only major problem I had with a Delta tool was one I discussed here on SMC. Some of you may recall the issue I had with my Unisaw. The blade would lock up and would not rotate if I raised it to the top for a blade change. There was much discussion on the board and many suggestions were made as to the cause but no one came up with the solution although some were pretty close. That was understandable because even though I posted several photos no one could actually see inside the machine.

I called Delta CS and they were very helpful in solving the problem. They sent a technician to my home (some 60 miles from their factory service center) he took one look at the saw and within 5 minutes of him arriving diagnose it and had a solution. A stop on the gear had broken off. He ordered the part and about a week later he returned and installed it, no charge! The saw now works better than ever.

Every time I call them I use the 800 number and as far as I know it it the main CS number for Delta, not a regional office and have no trouble getting through to a knowledgeable rep. I've even been contacted for a review of their service so I don't know why others have had such problems.

And before anyone asks, I'm not connected to Delta, just a satisfied customer, just as I am with Steel City, from whom I own an 8" jointer and 15" planer.

Clint Hood
05-07-2008, 6:04 PM
Well, I'm no big time woodworker by any means....Just a hobby type of guy, and not a very good one at that. That being the case, I wasn't wanting to drop a whole lot of cash on tools....Had always heard good stuff about Delta, and the lower price sucked me in....I have learned my lesson about trying to save a little money though, that's for sure....

Was planning on buying a bandsaw next, but after this Delta fiasco, the bandsaw is on the back-burner, and a new lathe is the top priority....When (or if) they finally get this one fixed, I'm gonna try to get rid of it....My blood pressure can't take much more Delta CS.

At any rate, does anybody have any experience with a Jet lathe? I know a guy with an older one, and he raves about it....Just wondering if their newer stuff has gone the way of Delta quality wise....Their customer service certainly can't be any worse....Any advice would be greatly appreciated....

Mike Monroe
05-07-2008, 6:10 PM
Back when I bought my Unisaw it was definately not the cheapest cabinet saw on the market. Same goes for the bandsaw and drill press... some times the cheapest in not always the best. It's the old economy of quality, pay enough (or a little more) to get a good, solid tool rather than pay too little for a tool that fails at it's job.

Gary Breckenridge
05-07-2008, 6:12 PM
First of all I own several Delta tools that continue to work, table saw, band saw, air filter and a drill press. Maybe I like gray. Mr. Delta no longer owns the company. It is now owned by Mr. Black and Mr. Decker and they are under constant pressure to make numbers for this quarter (profit for the current quarter.) BDK earned 7.38 last year. One way to make numbers for the current quarter is to cut costs by making things in China and have a constant busy signal instead of a help line. With the current maybe recession and housing slowdown it will be interesting to see how a major toolmaker upgrades or downgrades quality and help centers.

My advice: return the product, raise hell with CEO Nolan D. Archibald, file a claim with the state Attorney General and continue to post here.

Glen Blanchard
05-07-2008, 6:22 PM
My advice: raise hell with CEO Nolan D. Archibald.

And e-mail him a link to this thread!!!

Gordon Harner
05-07-2008, 7:10 PM
Since Pentair sold Delta and Porter Cable there have been many changes in the Delta/PC operation most not good. According to the dealer I have used for 30+ years they will no longer service or repair these tools or equipment because there is a large minimum part order. I think $1000. Also the company has been revamping their parts operation consolidating locations etc. and finding parts on the web site and then the company finding where the parts physically are is hit and miss. Unfortunately, from what I see it looks like B&D bought Delta/PC to cherry pick the popular fast moving products and discontinue the rest. I really think the intent was to eliminate competition and our choices.

Chris Weishaar
05-07-2008, 7:55 PM
I have a Delta Contractor's saw, 6" jointer and a 12 1/2" planer. All are between 8-10 years old. They have held up reasonably well. The first purchase was the TS and the only problem with that was with the fence and that was a mis drilled hole for the indicator. The shop I bought it from was going to get it fixed. After 6 weeks of nothing I called Delta directly and they overnighted a new fence and threw in a fine tooth cross cut blade. The jointer I bought from another shop and it had shipping damage to the outfeed table. The shop worked with Delta and I had a replacement outfeed table in a week. The planer was fine out of the box. The only problem since purchase is the safety guide for the jointer had metal fatigue and a part broke. I have ordered a new one, but I have also gotten used to not having the blade guard (shhhh, don't tell Mom).

I did buy the Delta 16/32 wide belt sander when it came out. There was a major problem with getting the table level, it was really badly designed. I got so frustrated dealing with Delta and their ability to solve the problem that I made them buy back the machine and I bought the last Perfomax in the store before Jet bought them out.

I don't know if I would buy Delta again now. If I need it would certainly not be based soley on the brand.

Chris

Brian Weick
05-07-2008, 8:02 PM
Anybody else had any bad experiences with Delta tools? I was under the impression that they were pretty good for the money, but now I know better....

Bought a Delta Midi lathe back around the first of February, and by the middle of March it had crapped out. Bought a Delta 12" drill press about the middle of March (a few days before the lathe died, of course), and it tore up within 15 minutes of cranking it up....Sent them both to the nearest Delta Service Center on March 22, and was told they would be fixed in 7-10 days....Well, it's May 7, and they are STILL in the shop....Supposedly the drill press is repaired, but they can't find the parts for the lathe....The service center claims they can't get the parts from Delta, as the lathe is "obsolete" (3 months old). Delta claims they can't tell if the service center has even ordered the parts yet....Classic case of the right hand having no clue what the left is doing....Been nothing but a big run-around....:mad: On top of that, when the Delta regional representative called me a little while ago (after I made a formal complaint), he was wanting to be a smart*** right from the start, cutting me off while I was trying to explain things to him....Really got the blood pressure up....But at lest he did bother to call me back. The guys at the service center don't even bother to do that....

Just wondering if anybody else has had any experiences like this with Delta....I know I'll never spend another dime on a Delta tool again....Poor quality, and the customer service sucks. And that's putting it nicely....Just had to vent a little....

Gordon,
There is one company that has done a tremendous job at producing a quality product at an affordable price with a "life time service" and I am not exaggerating. I own several of their tools , one I am very fond of is the 12" dual compound miter saw ~with laser guide ~ I am blown away at the quality of the design and accuracy in that compound sliding saw. Ridgid's line of tools are a great product, If you purchase any battery operated equipment, drills, saws,~ whatever- chargers and batteries are replaced at no charge ~ their tools are warrantied "for life"- For as long as "you" own it. I have had a great customer service and have had just 2 replacement part issues in the past 7 years on 2 machines ~, most of which were ware and tear issues. all paid for by Ridgid, free of charge-, There costumer service is second to none in my opinion ~ fabulous!
Getting myself a new 18" lithium drill and the dual compound 12" dual bevel, sliding compound 12" laser saw ~ that saw is sweet~that's strictly for my shop, the older 12" is for in the field ~ :D. I paid $689.00 for mine several years ago~ now there $479.00 at the orange dot~ also includes the Life time warranty on that ,as all, if not most are now included in their "life time warranty" , ~ and they stand behind that declaration ~ and that means an "awful lot" to me!. I am one of many of hundreds of thousands that will verify that! no doubt!
I just think that it is deceptive by tool manufacturers to leave you in the dark after 3 months when things go wrong with there product, after paying a rather high price, am I wrong?
I am fed up with these types of marketing strategies ~ it's kind of obvious to the business minded individual. ~ You think about that ,where is the reliability and the the commitment to stand behind a rather high priced piece of equipment, You have already shelled out X amount of dollars for a tool, now what do you do~ it's out of warranty after 90 days, 90 days~ . I have no problem paying a fair price for my tools even a lot more, but where am I after 90 days? what are they saying about their equipment?
I seriously feel that the development staff at Ridgid understands the tool industry very well. They pay attention to what is most important to their customers and they respond very well. They have implemented the proper planning based on what the customer expects from their products, and getting the right corporations involved has helped them immensely. I feel very comfortable in purchasing there products, and it's always a new tool, not a replacement! (except the 2 12" sliders-:D)
, my hat goes off to them!`! :) great company!!!!#1! :)

Sincerely,
Brian

Brian Penning
05-07-2008, 8:17 PM
If I won a Delta tool in a contest it would be on Ebay the next day.
Had problems with bandsaw, contractor saw, tenoning jig and something else I can't remember that I no longer have.
Only have the bandsaw left now

Dave Loebach
05-07-2008, 8:25 PM
I've got a bunch of older Delta tools and they are first class. So a couple of years ago, when I needed a planer, I bought a Delta 15" planer floor model. When I got it home, I noticed it was made in China and that the lines on the casting were wavy and the surfaces potted. I gulped and hoped for the best. After about a month and using it for just several boards, the switch broke. The local Delta service center sent me a new one promptly. Then short time later I was working on a project. I had run less than 50 bf through the planer when I noticed the thickness of my board was changing during the cut. Sure enough the height adjustment crank was turning while a board was going through. I wanted to finish one more board so I could continue with my project so I ran a board through holding the height adjustment crank. While this board was going through the planer, I noticed smoke coming from the motor. In a matter of seconds, the smoke went from a puff to a heavy plume. I turned off the planer, unplugged it, and got a fire extinguisher. The smoke slowly dissipated and I concluded fire was no longer a risk. I went to Delta and asked for my money back. They offered a new motor, a new planer, but no refund. Then I notice that the motor did not have a UL or other mark indicating it had been tested by an independent testing lab. The planer had a CSA mark on it, but the motor did not. I called CSA and gave them the info. A couple days later CSA called me and told me the planer had been tested, including the motor, but my motor was not the model that had been tested. They told me that Delta would be contacting me. Delta did contact me and offered me a refund on the planer only (on sales tax) if I delivered the planer to service center. I was thrilled to get rid of it so I did take it to the service center and got my money back. I won't buy Delta again either. As far as I'm concerned, if that represents their quality, they should go out of business before anyone else gets stuck with their junk. I bought a used Powermatic 100. THAT is a planer!

Rob Will
05-07-2008, 8:44 PM
All the Delta stationary tools (Unisaw, bandsaw, and drill press) in my shop have the "Made in U.S.A." sticker on them and none has ever given me any problems. But then I haven't purchased a Delta tool in over 10 years.

I'm not surprised.

Rob

Michael Lutz
05-07-2008, 9:00 PM
I haven't had any issues with my portable planer or my DJ20. They haven't been all that well used yet. If I was buying something new I don't think I would buy a Delta. Most of their current offerings cost more and have little to justify the increased price over the competition. It also seems they are having a difficult time just trying to keep up with innovations in tools from their competitors. They have been talking about releasing the super duper drill press for 2 years, still not out.

Mike

Mike Bensema
05-07-2008, 9:10 PM
I had the same kind of CS run around with my Delta jointer. The fence was warped and I brought it to the service center to get fixed and three, yes three months later I finally got my jointer back. The excuse I got was new fences were still in production and not available. They could have brought it to a local machine shop and gotten it done the next day, but instead they ruined their reputation with me.

I sent a letter to the President of Delta at the time notifying him of the problem I had with his company and they sent me a new set of knives, whoppie, a set of knives for all my troubles. I would have prefered an appology, but I guess sending the knives was easier then taking a few minutes to actually write a letter. I have not bought a Delta product since 2000 and probably will not ever again since my new tool vendors have excellent customer service and there is no reason in my mind to spend extra on poor products and service.

Gregg Feldstone
05-07-2008, 9:17 PM
Black and Decker needs to either drop or completely overhaul their Delta division. The good old Delta tools should be embarrassed by the new chinese crap with the delta name on them. The only good Delta I ever bought is my Unisaw, and I think it was one of the last years it was assembled in the US and acutally had US and Western Hemisphere parts on it. The cast iron on all my delta tools rusts much faster than others. Their customer service people really don't care about treating customers right. You have to call and get someone, usually a stupid "lady", who doesn't know anything, just to leave your name for a "tech" guy to call you back.....1-3 days later.
Than the redneck billybob buba tech guy tells you to fix it with bubble gum. They are also jerks about helping with parts. I wanted to spend up to $200 for the new "woodworking" drill press table that comes with most of their new presses and put it on my two year old press with the exact same column and they actually told me I can't do this because it's a "safety" issue. I pressed for an explanation and the idiot actually told me it's unsafe because one has to remove the head to slip the bracket on and that is dangerous. I reminded him that the press came disassembled and one has to do this exact same procedure when they get a new one......he had no explanation.....just told me I should buy a new drill press.

Peter Quinn
05-07-2008, 10:43 PM
I have a Delta 3HP Shaper, a Dj-20 Jointer, a DC-380 planer, an air cleaner, and a 14" DP. The shaper, joiner and planer are all over 14YRS old and work beautifully, the DP works well for the cheap Chi-Wan unit that it is (got what i paid for there, which is what I wanted) and the air filter works fine. I also have a number of PC power tools and have yet to kill any of them.

When I call the service hotline for the occasional part I often check the number afterwards to be sure I didn't miss dial and reach the direct line to the monkey cage at my local zoo. Frankly the monkey's are usually more intelligible and often friendlier. The B&D catch all 'Service Net' web site is one of the bigger sites on the web and borders on useless. It could be so much more. Luckily I no longer have to use either as Delta has declared all my nice old tools 'obsolete' and no longer sells many parts for them anyway.

One particular gripe I have with Delta is their unwilingness to identify standard parts on their tools so they may be sourced locally. For instance the planer I have uses hypoid gear oil that Delta recommends I change twice a year, they wont give you the weight of oil, merely tell you to use "SPECIAL DELTA OIL" as if they were in the refinery business now too. For that privilage you pay $45 per oil change from Delta for the same oil that sells for $4 at any autoparts store. Can't tell you if that $45 oil is any good, never bought any.

I will not buy anything from a company that builds tools to last a life time then discontinues the parts after 14yrs. Delta has received their last dollar from me. They can kiss my hairy white.....left toe?

My experience with powermatic service was so much better its beyond comparison, and luckily that's another number I don't have to call often either as few of my gold tools ever seem to break.

Stephen Edwards
05-07-2008, 11:52 PM
I'm now a loyal Grizzly customer. When I need a new machine that's where I look first and usually buy from them. Their customer service, in my opinion, is second to none. I'm not bothered at all that the products are made in Taiwan. What I want is a good machine for my money and courteous knowledgable customer service reps. That's what I get with Grizzly and I'm sticking with them!

In the past 6 months I've purchased 3 machines from them. All three had a very minor problem (bent handle, etc. mostly due to packaging issues). Free replacement parts were in my hands within days with no questions asked.

Delta would do well to emulate the Grizzly business model as far as overseas manufacturing goes. From all the gripes that I've read about foreign made Delta tools they just don't have the quality control program in place that they need to have.

Quesne Ouaques
05-08-2008, 4:42 AM

That is really a shame, Clint. I do share your pain as I have had similar problems in the past, though not specifically with Delta tools.

Delta used to demand much, much better quality from their suppliers 20+ years ago. Many of us have been hearing this story more and more often with respect to Delta. I think it is an indication that Delta is accepting a lower level of QA from their Chinese manufacturers in order to compete for price. It seems to vary from model to model, however, as some Delta tools appear to be much worse than others. By the way, the same can be said of Craftsman and in that case, the problem is even worse.

In contrast, I have had only excellent performance from my two Delta machines: 13" Planer 22-580 and the 1 1/2 HP DC 50-760. My experience with both have been very good, but I recognize that I may simply be lucky.

Jack Briggs
05-08-2008, 7:59 AM
Delta today is not the Delta of old. I have a 16 1/2" drill press, whose switch crapped out several times, requiring removal and opening up to manually fix it.

When Grizzly is there to offer equal (or in most cases, better) quality for less, Delta falls off of my list when new purchases are in the cards.

John Pahl
05-08-2008, 8:57 AM
It seems clear to me that none of us are making unreasonable requests of Delta here. No one is expecting industrial quality machines for box store prices. I expect a machine to do what it is intended and advertised to do weather it is a $400 starter TS or a $4,000 industrial machine. When something isn't working I'd expect the people in the CS to be able to speak intellegently about my concern instead of having a list of excuses memorized and a free blade ready to send out to me. Customer service still means something to me and that's why I won't be buying for Delta in the future!

John

Ben Cadotte
05-08-2008, 9:17 AM
I only own 2 Delta tools. 12" lunch box planer, and their Table Saw Tenon jig. I have looked at several of their tools. 14" band saw, dp, mortiser (returned), 6" jointer, and radial arm saw. I went with a craftsman radial arm saw. I saw no advantages of the Delta over the 1/2 as much craftsman saw. I actually think the Craftsman is a little easier to use.

Obviously the 14" foreign bandsaws are copies of Delta's original design. But the fact is the Delta is now made overseas probably in the same plant as some of its copies (or is actually a copy itself now). None the less they still charge a bit of a premium for it. Again I saw no reason to pay extra to get the same thing.

The drill press was a different story. I actually thought it was worse than the cheapest of the imports.

Unfortunately I think Delta / B&D is using the Delta name to pad the books. They are letting the quality come down while maintaining the pricing level for profits. And if you think that complaining by a few people will get their act in gear. Just look at their namesake company that bought Delta. BLACK & DECKER used to be known for quality tools. They let their quality come down to the cheap consumer level and have not turned back. If you think they are going to do any different with Delta, I think you would be wrong. I am just hoping that they allow Porter Cable to remain a higher quality tool line. I think Delta is past the point of no return as least in B&D's hands.

Craig McCormick
05-08-2008, 9:27 AM
Back in my really poor days I scrimped and saved for a Delta 46-700 lathe. I was so excited when I finally brought it home. Soon after I was turning a bowl and the lathe started to vibrate. I took the bowl blank off and turned the lathe on and it still vibrated. I looked inside to see that the casting that holds one of the headstock bearings was cracked. It was still under warranty so I took it in. A month later they had it repaired. I brought it home and plugged it in and it STILL vibrated. I checked the casting and it was cracked! I hadn't even turned anything yet! I had it repaired again and before plugging it in I sold it and my delta table saw. I didn't even want to see the Delta name in my shop. I have cooled off a little now and have a 1950's Unisaw.

Craig

Paul Johnstone
05-08-2008, 10:01 AM
I
I think that to compete in the woodworking machinery market, Delta has had to largely become an importer of common foreign made tools

Yes, that's the problem. We hobbyists have ourselves to blame. I remember when the first wave of imports came over, people will gushing that they saved $50 buying the import vs the Delta.. Time and time again, we hobbyist buy or price, and are willing to accept a "kit" or less than perfect. It's now a race to the bottom.

That being said, I've had good luck with Delta tools, although mine are the more expensive tools. I have a floor standing drill press from them which is great, but I bought it years ago, so things may have declined since then.
I have several others, but most of them were made in the USA in an era before quality went into the trashcan. Now in all fairness, some imports are good, and not every tool is being built as cheap as possible. I think that 10 years ago, the quality of all brands was higher.

Glen Blanchard
05-08-2008, 10:19 AM
Is the issue really that these machines are imported???

I know of many imported woodworking machine lines that are of very high quality with wonderful fit and finish. It is apparent that an Asian import can be very well made. I think the problem is more accurately described as a lack of quality standards, expectations and demands set forth by the company who has outsourced the manufacturing process to countries in Asia.

JohnT Fitzgerald
05-08-2008, 10:41 AM
I have a few toosl from Delta - contractor saw, chop saw, small drill press, grinder, and maybe some other 'small' items....but they're all fairly old and they run like CHAMPS. No problems. My brother hass similair items, and also one of their planers from maybe 15 or 20 years ago.

having said that, Delta really isn't a name that pops to mind when I consider new equipment. I did just get their 1.5HP dust collector, but only based on the reviews I had read. When it comes to a DP or TS or any other item I'm considering, unfortunately they just don't make the list.

Jesse Cloud
05-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Looks like Delta is the new Black and Decker - cheaply made hobbyist cr**. Wouldn't be surprised to see a Delta hedge trimmer or toaster oven any day now. Wish I could say that Jet was that much better, but I don't really think so.

Hate to say it, but I'm kinda hoping Festool will keep their prices high so they won't have to go the way of Delta, PC, etc.

Bob Slater
05-08-2008, 11:11 AM
I sure wish their was a viable North American tool industry. I guess I will just buy old tools. My most recent aquisition is a Delta Metal and wood Bandsaw from the 50's or 60's.. It is a beautiful machine. Delta, Singer sewing machines...just once great names now.

Steven Hardy
05-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Yes, that's the problem. We hobbyists have ourselves to blame. I remember when the first wave of imports came over, people will gushing that they saved $50 buying the import vs the Delta.. Time and time again, we hobbyist buy or price, and are willing to accept a "kit" or less than perfect. It's now a race to the bottom.

That being said, I've had good luck with Delta tools, although mine are the more expensive tools. I have a floor standing drill press from them which is great, but I bought it years ago, so things may have declined since then.
I have several others, but most of them were made in the USA in an era before quality went into the trashcan. Now in all fairness, some imports are good, and not every tool is being built as cheap as possible. I think that 10 years ago, the quality of all brands was higher.

Yes its a pretty pathetic situation all around with just about every comsumer product available now.Our trade deficit with two countries in asia has been so bad for so long that we are paying the price now. Our economic autotonomy as a country is just about gone.

Kim Spence
05-08-2008, 11:44 AM
Is the issue really that these machines are imported???

I know of many imported woodworking machine lines that are of very high quality with wonderful fit and finish. It is apparent that an Asian import can be very well made. I think the problem is more accurately described as a lack of quality standards, expectations and demands set forth by the company who has outsourced the manufacturing process to countries in Asia.

I couldn't agree more! I don't think the issue is that they're imported. Many fine high quality tools come out of Taiwan (i.e. Sawstop). Labor is certainly cheaper in these areas, but not necessarily lower skilled. And many of these manufacturers are ISO certified.

I think the issue is Delta's strategy is to compete on Price and not Quality, Features, and Service and mass market the heck out of their products to hobbiests and small commercial shops.

Kim Spence
05-08-2008, 11:54 AM
I sure wish their was a viable North American tool industry.

I think there is still a viable North American tool industry, but we've set our price comparison bar too low as a result of imported asian tools. You can buy a fantastic quality "Medium Duty" Northfield 8" Jointer for about $10,000:eek: Or a Canadian made General 8" Jointer for $3,299! :eek: Or an imported Griz for $800 or so.

Matt Meiser
05-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Let Delta know what you think:
http://www.deltaportercable.com/AboutUs/ContactUs.aspx

There's a way to email them using an online contact form. I emailed them a link to this thread and suggested that their CEO visit here and let us know how he's going to fix Delta. I won't hold my breath.

Dan Bussiere
05-08-2008, 1:56 PM
I currently have a Delta table saw, bandsaw, mortising machine, planer, and numerous other small tools. To date I have never had any problems with any of my Delta tools. But, after reading this thread, I will certainly shy away from any future purchases. It appears that Delta has lost it's desire or ability to produce quality tools and customer service. I doubt the CEO of the company would review a web site like this, but if the attitude at the corporate level is to allow this type of manufacturing under their leadeship, I don't expect much from them anyway.

Except that maybe they expect a large retirement bonus......;)

Mike Heidrick
05-08-2008, 2:52 PM
Man I love this thread.

I went through the 4 pages of this thread. Of the machines with issues:

Delta 12" DP
Delta Midi Lathe
Another small DP
A mortiser
1" Belt Sander
A Small DC and a small AP400 DC
A P20 Scroll Saw
A floor model planer with a questionable motor
A jointer small enough to take to a Service Center
A uni fixed by a CS (good result)
A DP trying to be outfitted to a new model DP table - CS said no

So because all these small tools are bad - Delta is Bad??!!??
Delta also sells a jointer for $3800 and a planer for $10K, and $5K, and $4500.

But those are bad because a $139 Dust collector's switch melted? I would severally doubt many of the Uni owners of today would give up their saw. I bet if a new Uni owner was given the choice between it or a Griz I bet they would keep the grey. Same with a PM guy or General guy - people use what they like. Only times people typically sell these are for PM66s, Sawstops, and Euro sliders. These tools are not the same as a contractor saw from Lowes, I am sorry to break it to you. Quit comparing the two.

The fact that you can even have problems with a $140 DC is amazing. I am suprised they even sell one that cheap. They could be like any other quality tool maker and start selling them way out of our price range. But no, they find a way to make us one, one cheap enough to go to any Lowes in the US to see it, and then when we buy it and it does not work like an expensive tool we bash them. Or we get mad when the parts for them are not available. Its because we are supposed to buy another one!

You cannot expect CS to have the same knowledge of a disposable $99 DP as they do a $2000 tablesaw. It is not realistic for them to stock all the parts in their warehouse for both tools equally. Their return is not the same on both tools. Buy one of their $1200 industrial drill presses and see if you can get parts. You can still buy parts for a 1960s uni. Its a different story for different tools in their line.

I am sorry if you are not one of Delta's prime customers and if you buy the tools they do not care as much about. Be glad you can find any tool at all. At least you can aways buy them in orange and some high school kid in isle 10 will be able to get you a replacement down off the shelf. their are markets for everybody.

Clint Hood
05-08-2008, 3:03 PM
So just because I don't drop several thousand dollars on one of their tools, I'm not entitled to any decent customer service? Sorry man, but I disagree with you....If they put their name on it, they should back it up if something goes wrong....And do so in a timely fashion....That's just my opinion, for what it's worth....

Mike Heidrick
05-08-2008, 3:07 PM
So just because I don't drop several thousand dollars on one of their tools, I'm not entitled to any decent customer service? Sorry man, but I disagree with you....If they put their name on it, they should back it up if something goes wrong....And do so in a timely fashion....That's just my opinion, for what it's worth....

Sure, if it is under warranty. But after that all bets are off.

Clint Hood
05-08-2008, 3:21 PM

It is under warranty....It was bought in February of this year....Yet Delta and the service center are saying that the tool is obsolete already....You may not agree, but I consider that to be, for lack of a better word, BS....But I do agree with you concerning Delta's attitude....Perhaps if this was an industrial grade machine, the CS would be better. But the fact remains that the lathe has "DELTA" written on it in big letters. That being the case, they should stand behind their product, whether is costs $10 or $10,000....Treating folks like the "little guy" isn't gonna get them very far.....

Wayne Cannon
05-08-2008, 4:01 PM
I have a number of Delta tools, including a midi lathe (16x42 VS), with which I've been very happy with quality and reliability.

I remember a little less than ten years ago, Delta was having trouble keeping an appropriate emphasis on quality in their Taiwan manufacturing operation, and people were having spotty quality issues depending on where made -- to the point that there were magazine articles about it and lists circulating for showing how to read the Delta model/serial numbers to determine where they were made. Many other tool manufacturers with Taiwanese operations (e.g., Jet) at that time managed to keep a focus on quality. I'm not up on what's happening today, but the spotty quality sounds very similar to what was happening then.

Peter Quadarella
05-08-2008, 4:03 PM
The fact is that companies like Ridgid and Grizzly sell products for the same price as Delta and their tools consistently get good reviews.

Steven Hardy
05-08-2008, 4:10 PM
I think there is still a viable North American tool industry, but we've set our price comparison bar too low as a result of imported asian tools. You can buy a fantastic quality "Medium Duty" Northfield 8" Jointer for about $10,000:eek: Or a Canadian made General 8" Jointer for $3,299! :eek: Or an imported Griz for $800 or so.

I agree . The consumer grade stuff is whats not so great any longer.I have have looked inside much of the off-shored stuff for sale today .Its not top quality either,by any means. The tops are shiney and the handles are huge, but the gears are a poor cut and the nuts and bolts are crude.

John VanDivier
05-08-2008, 4:17 PM
My money is important to me whether I spend $100 or $10,000, I still want to get the value that I paid for. So here to me is the crux of the matter. All of the businesses that supply products to the mass market will have some that sell better quality than another and all of them will have a quality problem from time to time. IMO and for my money spent I will support a company that handles the problems in a prompt, courteous and knowledgeable manner. It is unacceptable to me that I wouldn't even be able to buy a replacement part after the warranty expired.

I started buying Grizzly products in 2000, and yes they are Asian mfg, but the quality I have received is completely acceptable for the money I have spent. In addition to that, the one time I had a magnetic switch problem on my 1023 cabinet saw (well after the warranty expired) the broken "off button" was replaced free of charge. Grizzly will continue to get my money as long as their customer service remains as it is.

John

Brent Smith
05-08-2008, 4:21 PM
It is under warranty....It was bought in February of this year....Yet Delta and the service center are saying that the tool is obsolete already....You may not agree, but I consider that to be, for lack of a better word, BS....

Hi Clint,

Where did you buy your machine? Just because you bought it in February doesn't mean it was new to the dealers stock. I've seen sales where machines that haven't been made for years are offered for sale. Lower priced machines are dropped from product lines all the time in an effort to keep up with the competitions new and improved. Don't take this to imply that I don't think the customer service you are getting is appalling.

Jeff Duncan
05-08-2008, 5:08 PM
Mike has an interesting point to which I'll add this, anytime I've needed parts I've been able to get them with no problem. Though I really don't own any of the smaller tools, the service with the bigger stuff has been on par with other manufacturers I've dealt with.
Personally I too think the new web service center is sadly lacking and as I said before, even the higher end machinery is starting to show signs of decline. I think companies like Delta, Powermatic, and General are stuck, you either keep making things good quality, charge appropriately and go under b/c very few will spend. Or you cut costs to compete with the overseas explosion of import machinery we've seen in the last 30 years or so, and start to lose your reputation, and possibly still go under.
I think Powermatic and General are both trying to adapt to this new economy. Powermatic by redesigning their tool line with updated machines and more stuff geared toward small shops, like drum sanders, line boring etc. And General by having separate lines of domestic and import machinery. Delta, it seems from reading these last 4 pages, is losing their reputation for quality, and not adjusting to what's happening around them. I don't know what the future holds for them but if they're going to stick it out, I think there needs to be some change.
Lastly, Northfield is indeed the last remainder of the machinery of the old days. They alone have been able to remain by not compromising a bit on quality and charging for it. Yes if you want something to last several generations they are the machine for you, but you'll pay for it. I haven't been able to swing for any of their stuff in my shop yet, but whenever I come across one at auction I'm impressed by how well they are built, and also by how much value they retain.
JeffD

Lance Norris
05-08-2008, 5:30 PM
Heres the problem I had. Read carefully and understand. I bought a Delta mortiser, the more expensive benchtop unit. I pulled the handle to adjust it( a feature of the tool) and the handle pulled off in my hand. There is supposed to be a roll pin to hold the handle in place. No roll pin installed. I bought an AP400 Dust Collector. No hardware pack, no bolts to assemble the machine. I go to the hardware and get what I need, I come home and start assembly. The nuts that are welded into the machine to hold the bolts, that werent included, arent welded in the correct places. I bought a 1" belt sander. After one use, the oil leaked out of the start cap. Maybe the last problem wasnt Deltas' but this is just poor control. It doesnt matter if it was made in China. When things go to market in an unuseable condition, it isnt very good. If Delta doesnt care enough to see that things are correct, then they lose business. I have worked in assembly and manufacturing. QC is very important. I will never buy another Delta tool. If some people want to defend Delta, they can go ahead and defend them, but it will fall on deaf ears here at my house.

Wayne Cannon
05-08-2008, 6:12 PM
You point is very true.

Quality manufacturing can be done in Taiwan/China. However, the native mindset is not quality-oriented. We learned our lesson from Japan, too, in the '70s and '80s. It takes a lot more attention by management in China than in the U.S. today to stay on top of quality issues and keep quality in the forefront of everyone's minds. However, it can be done -- there are many companies doing it successfully. Those that don't lose in the long run. There was a good article around seven or eight years ago written by a Jet manufacturing manager about keeping a focus on quality in Taiwanese manufacturing. [That was a long time ago, and not an attempt to plug Jet products, today.]

Peter Quinn
05-08-2008, 6:52 PM
Wow...this is getting interesting! I thought I was the only one who had a problem with Delta/PC CS, apparently not! I've rarely had as much as a hiccup with any of my delta tools and that service net still has me PO. I only need to be treated like crap once to hold a grudge.

On another line of thought I hear lots of great things about Grizzly customer service. Lots of great things. LOTS AND LOTS. In fact it seems by conjecture that few owners have ever not had to call for something? Perhaps thats the new CS mantra: We screw up something on each machine, but we are real nice about fixing it!

This would be like the self check out version of QA...they lower the QA standards on purpose to hit the price point, let you the owner find the mistakes, fix them happily and quickly, you feel like a hero for solving a technical problem while saving money, everybody's happy. Hummm?

That's it. I'm going Northfield. All Northfield. Does anybody need a good low milage Kidney?

Ben Cadotte
05-08-2008, 6:58 PM
That's it. I'm going Northfield. All Northfield. Does anybody need a good low milage Kidney?

I don't believe its a low mileage Kidney! :eek: Whats your customer service number :D:D

Peter Quinn
05-08-2008, 8:07 PM
I don't believe its a low mileage Kidney! :eek: Whats your customer service number :D:D

I'm offering a 30 day money back guarantee! Of course there are some standard exclusions and clauses attached as user behavior may affect performance!:D:D

Dennis Hatchett
05-08-2008, 8:49 PM

....Just had to vent a little....

Vent away Clint, but if you search the threads someone has had problems with every company at some point. Don't mean to diminish your frustration because customer No-Service brings out the worst in me. Sawstop and even (gasp) festool (genuflect, genuflect, genuflect) have some unimpressed customers.

I find tools and design work to be similar in that there is usually not an easy button. Problem solving is an inherent skill necessary in the work. I like picking up used tools from guys that would rather buy a new one than fix the old one. In your case, one would expect new tools to be a bit more rugged than what you've experienced.

But my Unisaw, has been flawless over the last 7 or 8 years. It's one of the best tools that I've ever owned and probably will own simply because I haven't had to worry about it once. In fact, all my Delta stuff has been great.

My beef with Delta isn't in the quality area. I'll eventually sell my unisaw and not look at the new Delta models because they seemed to have decided to make safety a very low priority(riving knife, etc...) I'll reward some other company with my future business as well.

John Shuk
05-08-2008, 8:57 PM
I've always had good luck with Delta tools and I have quite a few. Some of their stuff isn't built great but I am able to look a lot of it over at my local store so I buy what i deem to be well made.

Mike Heidrick
05-08-2008, 9:40 PM
Lance, my friend, you double whammy is no good. Here is the problem I see. Delta does not make a nice benchtop mortiser - if you wanted a nice benchtop mortiser you would have bought another brand like a Powermatic 701. All the reviews in the world will tell you this as will most testimonials. Their 1" sander is not nice either - it is adequate at best and many reviews from folks also tell you this. Delta is making some junk (or importing some junk more accurately) and people are buying it and assuming it is Delta named so it must be good like a Uni is. Then when it is junk they dammn the whole line. That is what I do not like to read.

The folks in the US that are the CS for Delta know some of their product is junk and that is why we get the service we do. They would be unemployed if they said "Sir, I'm sorry you bought some junk and I cannot help you with that." The parts they can help with are minimal on many of these tools. So now people are mad at the Delta name on the junk tool and disappointed because the person on the other end of the CS phone cannot help them.

People have to research their purchases. If you buy junk, it is on you. If people are selling a tool for a super low price you need to ask yourself why before buying it and being suprised.

Now you do not have to buy Delta tools and I encourage you to not buy some of them. Like all manufacturers they are making some cheap tools because people buy them. That does not mean all Delta tools are junk. You can be mad if you want but you need to look close to home before casting the blame.

Ben Cadotte
05-08-2008, 9:44 PM
I'm offering a 30 day money back guarantee! Of course there are some standard exclusions and clauses attached as user behavior may affect performance!:D:D

Is it American made (Canadian is probably ok)?

Since I am only looking for a spare, not in a need for it. Would you take a Northfield product brochure, and shirt? :p

Ok, ok, I will throw in a (used) hat as well. :D

Glen Blanchard
05-08-2008, 9:50 PM
People have to research their purchases. If you buy junk, it is on you.

I have a hard time following this logic. If Delta decides to sell junk (regardless of the price point) then Delta will suffer, as it is common sense that anything with the Delta logo will then be suspect. IMO, that is ignorance on the part of the manufacturer - not the consumer.

Mike Heidrick
05-08-2008, 10:23 PM
I will digress now.

Glen Blanchard
05-08-2008, 10:37 PM
If you spend $2000 and $100 do you expect all things are equal because they are sold from the same manuf. If so why buy anything more than the cheapest you can find?

Are you asking if I would expect the same performance from a $100 Delta table saw as I would a $2K Delta table saw? Of course not. However I would expect the same level of CS. I would expect both to perform as advertised. I would expect neither to be "junk". For a company that presumably sells some high quality products, to introduce some "junk" at a low price point, and to keep the same label, is IMO, a mistake. If Delta wants to have two tiers of machines, I think it would behoove them to do as General did, and have a different label. It is inevitable that the Delta name gets drug down into the mud to do as they are now doing.

Mike Heidrick
05-08-2008, 11:25 PM
I think that is where the Delta Shopmaster line came from. They do make a 1" sander and mortiser under that name but Lance said he bought the professional mortiser. They look very close though.

Lance Norris
05-09-2008, 2:40 AM
I have 5 Delta tools, all purchased in the last 2 years. I have 3 Grizzly tools. I have 3 Jet tools. I have 2 Porter Cable tools. I have 2 Dewalt tools. I have 3 Bosch tools. I have 1 Ridgid tool. I have 11 Ryobi tools. I have 2 Craftsman tools. Of all these I list, I have had problems with 3 of the Deltas. None of the other tools were defective or have given any problems. None. I dont care if they were $100 dollar tools or $1000 tools. I expect them to work, and be functional, when new. 2 of the 3 Deltas were incorrectly assembled when shipped. Delta used to be one of the best there was. I gave Delta a chance. I really did. But problems with 3 out of 5 tools just isnt good enough, when there are other manufacturers that are lusting after my money. Sorry.

Michael Schwartz
05-09-2008, 4:02 AM
I have worked with an example of just about every current machine delta has made and while they were all functional I have seen better, and in my shop I can only afford to have the best tools possible.

Unisaw is off the table for me just due to the lack of a riving knife. and of all the unisaws I have worked with hands down I have seen equipment that is much better.

I am not impressed with the delta bandsaws I have worked with.

The delta jointers I have used get the job done and the DJ30 12" jointer is pretty nice, minus the lever adjustment on the outfeed.

To be fair Delta planers are also nice and I would consider owning the 15" x5 as it is a nice setup. But again I would probably look very seriously at some other brands first and likely go with a machine with a carbide cutter-head.

Overall I would probably go with another brand over delta because it just does not seem delta is concerned with making a quality product that will last a lifetime and be a top preformer. If I did buy equipment from delta it would be from a different era of which they did make a top product. I would buy alot of older delta machinery in a heartbeat provided a good deal.

If you want a delta product look on the used market because that is where you are going to find the best delta tools.

In my shop I can only afford to have the best as anything below that will only become an expense and hassle when it comes time to replace or upgrade it in the future.

Cary Falk
05-09-2008, 4:10 AM
I guess I am in the minority here. Of the 7 large machines I own I have: 3 Delta, 1 Jet, 1 Grizzly, and 2 Steel City. I have had one minor issue with Jet and one with Delta. I have never had any problems/issues with customer service. Parts are easy enough to come by through my local service center. None of my current tool are the lower end tools. I did own one tool from the Shopmaster line but sold it because I out grew it. It worked as advertised. I do my research and watch what I buy. I would buy Delta again if it fit my need. There are ore other companies I would shy away from before Delta.

Colin Wollerman
05-09-2008, 4:21 AM
We have a fairly new Delta 14" Band Saw where I work. I am a bit of a tool guy and already know not to expect too much from "prosumer" tools but I cannot believe the paper thin trunions on this saw!
I was leaning on the table, just keeping my balance,(I am only 165lbs) as I was adjusting the guides and "crack" the rear trunion broke. This same trunion was replaced last year when one of the other guys broke it.
WE do NOT cut big stuff on this saw...EVER.
I made a couple cuts, small bits, with one trunion which also broke!
I took the remains off the table and tossed one of them on the floor...It broke like a glass bowl! into like 8 pieces!
I took the trunions off a 14" rigid saw which fit the delta but were obviously higher quality so...
If this happens to you, do not order more Delta parts (they will break too) get them from rigid. If you are shopping for a Band Saw, well, I will not buy a delta (maybe a vintage TS though)
If you need the Rigid saw part #s let me know.
Colin
Colin

Quesne Ouaques
05-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Just a couple of quick stories about big box stores, good tool managers and their accounting practices....

When possible, I always keep the box and my receipt:

Story #1 - Table Saw

Quite a few years ago -- after I had just moved into a new house and had no budget at all -- I had lots of odd jobs to do and I really needed a table saw. I went to Lowes, and bought the cheapest contractor saw they had on sale (a Wilton) for $99.

It served me pretty well for about three years, and when the motor burned out completely, I packed it up in the original box and took it back to Lowes with the receipt to ask if they could arrange to have it repaired. I told them I was happy to pay for repairing it if it cost less than $75.

They apparently tried to contact Wilton directly, but the company was no longer manufacturing the saw and so couldn't help whatever, blah blah blah, etc....anyway....

The tool manager called me the next day and said he was sorry, there was no way they could repair the saw. The only thing he could do would be to give me a full refund on the original purchase (!) (since I had the receipt), and return the saw to Wilton (in the original box) to take the credit on their supplier account. I went out later that day to buy an upgraded saw!

Story #2 - Routers (two of them)

About the same time, I decided I wanted an under-table router that could take 1/2 shank router bits for some pattern routing I was doing on very thick hardwood (rocking horses). I did not have a big budget, so I went to Sears Hardware and chose (very poorly, I may add) the yellow Craftsman 9 amp router with the height adjustment ring.

The motor, speed control and work light were pretty good, but the height adjustment ring was a pain, especially for under-the-table use. Nevertheless, I used it for several years until the ring mysteriously froze up and I took it back (in the original box with the receipt). The tool manager was only too happy to replace it with another identical router, since he could return the defective one to the supplier in the original box.

Admittedly, I wasn't too happy to have the same router, but it was new and worked fine with my 1/2 bits. Wouldn't you know it, but a little over a year later the second router's ring started to freeze up! I packed it up and took it back to the store. This time, the tool manager let me return it and use the credit to buy another router of my choice.

If you are still reading (God bless you!), then the moral of my story is simply this: Often the retailer is willing to go to bat for you with a poorly made (or poorly supported) product if (and only if) you make it easy for them to return the defective product to the manufacturer.

Eric Larsen
05-09-2008, 11:40 AM

Not if a company wants my *continued* business. I've called McMinnville several times for service on used Powermatic equipment I bought off Craigslist.

I was treated like they wanted my business for life -- obviously they do.

Gregg Feldstone
05-10-2008, 6:24 PM
The only delta that has not given me trouble is my 2004/2005 Unisaw. It says it's assembled in the US of US and imported parts. Any of you who have a similar late model Unisaw have any problems with it? Is there anything I should be looking out for?