PDA

View Full Version : sawstop and incra miter 5000

Jim Barstow
05-07-2008, 2:26 PM
I'm about to order a new sawstop and I'm trying to decide on the miter gauge and rip fence. I've decided on the 36" extension table since I use a festool saw and guide for ripping panels.

From reviews and comments, the incra miter 5000 seems to get glowing reviews. Several pictures I've seen though show an extension table on the LEFT side of the blade. The miter sled appears to be wider than the space to the left of the sawstop blade. Is this an issue?

For rip fence, the Incra also seems to get a thumbs up. Anyone think there are better alternatives?

Glen Blanchard
05-07-2008, 3:08 PM
For rip fence, the Incra also seems to get a thumbs up. Anyone think there are better alternatives?

As far as rip fences go, Jointech makes one very similar to the Incra. I have been very happy with the stock Bies-clone fence on my SawStop. Any reason you did not go with it?

BTW - I have been very pleased with my Jointech miter sled - you may want to look it over as well.

Jim Barstow
05-07-2008, 3:50 PM
As far as rip fences go, Jointech makes one very similar to the Incra. I have been very happy with the stock Bies-clone fence on my SawStop. Any reason you did not go with it?

BTW - I have been very pleased with my Jointech miter sled - you may want to look it over as well.

I have an old incra gauge on my router table and I really like the ability to reset the fence to a previous position accurately. The sawstop fence looks good but doesn't have this capability.

Glen Blanchard
05-07-2008, 4:12 PM
I have an old incra gauge on my router table and I really like the ability to reset the fence to a previous position accurately. The sawstop fence looks good but doesn't have this capability.

I have had both Incra and Jointech fences on my router table, and have been impressed with both (currently have the Jointech system) and I agree with you about the repeatability issue. Now don't get me wrong, I am not trying to talk you out of the Incra fence, but I can repeat a cut with my SS fence as closely and easily as an Incra could. Here's how......

http://wixey.com/fence/index.html

Mike Goetzke
05-07-2008, 4:55 PM
I'm about to order a new sawstop and I'm trying to decide on the miter gauge and rip fence. I've decided on the 36" extension table since I use a festool saw and guide for ripping panels.

From reviews and comments, the incra miter 5000 seems to get glowing reviews. Several pictures I've seen though show an extension table on the LEFT side of the blade I have a MiterExpress & 1000SE on a LT Unisaw. I'm comfortable with it on the left miter slot but I think you are supposed to re-assemble it so it rides in the right slot. This way if you need to make a bevel cut the board (and miter bar) don't get re-cut. The miter sled appears to be wider than the space to the left of the sawstop blade. Is this an issue I see it this way in the phots all the time - shouldn't be an issue?

For rip fence, the Incra also seems to get a thumbs up Are you referring to the 5000 or the TS fence system?. Anyone think there are better alternatives?

First, Woodpeck has the 5000 on sale for around $220+shipping.

Second, with the 5000 the miter gauge is fixed to the sled (There is no miter bar on the miter gauge itself.). On my 1000SE/express set up you can easily remove the miter gauge/bar for use w/o the miter express table in lesss than a minute.
I've had mine for almost two years now and highly recommend it.

Mike

jason lambert
05-07-2008, 5:01 PM
I just bought a sawstop and I can tell you what I went with and am happy with. I bought the incra table saw ls fence system instead of the sawstop fence I highly recomend it unless yo uare a production shop and the in 1000se and miter express. The 5000 I don't see a problem with it over hanging a little besides you could alwas cut it a bit.

Just be carefull to keep the fence 1/8" away from the blade or use bypass mode or a aux fence. I tripped my brake when I was doing a really close taper cut and we think the metal fence may of caused it. I sent the break back to saw stop for analysis but to date they have not got it looks like it got lost in the mail so we may never know.

Jim Barstow
05-07-2008, 5:06 PM
I have had both Incra and Jointech fences on my router table, and have been impressed with both (currently have the Jointech system) and I agree with you about the repeatability issue. Now don't get me wrong, I am not trying to talk you out of the Incra fence, but I can repeat a cut with my SS fence as closely and easily as an Incra could. Here's how......

http://wixey.com/fence/index.html

I just built my first chair and the wixley angle gauge was what made accurate cuts possible; I think their technology is terrific. With a table saw fence, however, I would think that repositioning would require delicate nudges to get back to an old reading. With an incra, the positioning is much more definitive. I'm I incorrect in how the wixley works?

Glen Blanchard
05-07-2008, 5:24 PM
With a table saw fence, however, I would think that repositioning would require delicate nudges to get back to an old reading. With an incra, the positioning is much more definitive. I'm I incorrect in how the wixley works?

Ahh.....that is another matter entirely. Not really one of repeatability per se, but of micro-adjustabilty. The Incras and Jointechs excel in micro-adjustability. Yes, I am forced to "tap, tap" my SS fence - not a big deal, but not as easy as just dialing it in. I do wish that SS offered a micro-adjustment option for their fence. That being said, I don't know how crazy I'd be at having the unlock/lock mechanism so far to the right of me. I'm just used to it being "right there". It does not bother me on the router table as the distance of fence travel is less than what I would think it would be on the table saw. It is moot for me anyway, as I don't have ANY room to the right of my saw for these systems. That will change in a few years. To be honest though, I don't see myself moving away from a Bies type fence, even when I have the room. I'm just very used to it. All of the fences we are discussing here have their strengths and weaknesses, but any of these will make a wonderful table saw fence indeed.

Chris Padilla
05-07-2008, 5:45 PM

From reviews and comments, the incra miter 5000 seems to get glowing reviews. Several pictures I've seen though show an extension table on the LEFT side of the blade. The miter sled appears to be wider than the space to the left of the sawstop blade. Is this an issue?

I have an Incra fence on both my router table and my table saw. You can't beat the repeatability!

I also have the M5k miter sled. I don't know about anyone else, but typically, the sled with the miter head goes on the LEFT side of the blade in the LEFT miter slot. It is a little wide so you can create a zero clearence to the blade. There is also a right 'sled' or support panel that fits in the RIGHT miter slot. It, too, is too wide and gets cut off to create a zero clearence. Using both sleds, you have a zero clearance on both sides of the blade.

I hope this answers your questions and clears up any confusion. :)

JIM HERNANDEZ
05-14-2008, 9:43 PM
Jim,
I have the Sawstop with the Incra fence and 5000 miter sled. It is a wonderful combination and I have been very pleased with it.