PDA

View Full Version : chisel question

Greg Stanford
05-07-2008, 10:34 AM
I've seen threads where there were complaints about the polish on 2 cherries chisels - evidently this causes the backs not to be flat. Are the unpolished versions of these same chisels better?

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/product_info.php/cPath/39_92_338/products_id/578

Is what I'm looking at. Am I missing something? Seems like a decent price & I don't care about shiney. Thanks.

g

Mike Henderson
05-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Unpolished is fine. Many people prefer the unpolished just because the back is not polished and possibly rounded.

Mike

Johnny Kleso
05-07-2008, 2:38 PM
In David Charlesworth's new book he talks abot the corners of the lenght having a small raidus from the miror polishing dont at the factory..

I have never read that the backs are not flat, the backs on my chiesls are flat... The amount of the raidus is not an issue with me, mostly I see people complain they dont like the long length they what butt chisels (short)...

Matt Wilson
05-07-2008, 3:56 PM
I've seen threads where there were complaints about the polish on 2 cherries chisels - evidently this causes the backs not to be flat. Are the unpolished versions of these same chisels better?

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/product_info.php/cPath/39_92_338/products_id/578

Is what I'm looking at. Am I missing something? Seems like a decent price & I don't care about shiney. Thanks.

g

I would go for sure go for that over the polished. Less chance of the back being messed up means less work for you. You'll shine them all up on your own anyway... :)

Tony Zaffuto
05-07-2008, 4:04 PM
I had both a Hirsch and a Two Cherries that were mirror polished. Both had a small radius on each side because of the polishing. The backs were probably as good as any modern chisel for having a decently flattened back and the steel was very good for edge holding (at least for the domestic hardwoods I use).

Some may be bothered by the polishing others won't be, it depends upon your use of the chisel. I might add that the radiuses can be polished out, it it trips your trigger.

I sold both of these chisels, because I found for modern chisels, the Ashley Iles butt style just feel better in my hand. I also have picked up a few LN which also feel very nice.

T.Z.