PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Norway Maple "Snifter" Bowl

Jim Becker
04-04-2004, 11:57 PM
Here's the "turning 'o the week"...a spalted Norway Maple bowl. It measures 7.5" in diameter and is 5.5" tall with the small applied black foot. The little foot is to give the piece a little loft off the surface it's resting on so that the shape is better defined to the eye. The curve at the bottom is very broad and didn't look right all by itself.

This is by far, the most outstanding piece of spalted material I got out of that tree harvested in late 2000 here on the property. The lower picture shows that a little better. I started this turning a couple weeks ago, but got caught up in other projects which left the finishing to this weekend.

The finish is BLO, de-waxed shellac and about 5 coats of gloss WB Acrylic Lacquer (Target Coatings USL). It still needs to be buffed, but I want the finish to cure for a week first and besides, the draw bolt that holds the Beall system securely to the lathe is about 1" too short for the Stubby. 'Have to hit the 'Depot this week for some threaded rod.

John Miliunas
04-05-2004, 12:03 AM
Spectacular Jim...As usual! So, was this a completely dried piece or from green? I've had some nice spalted material recently, but just can't seem to get a handle on it. My stuff is green and the last one, I even tried LDD, but still ended up with cracks in the rim. Starting to get a bit frustrated, but willing to keep trying. Anyhow, very, very nice! Great shape and what's not to like about all the figuring in that piece?! Thanks for the post and inspiration! :cool:

Jim Becker
04-05-2004, 12:11 AM
So, was this a completely dried piece or from green?

The blank was cut in late 2000 and sealed with Anchorseal. It wasn't totally bone dry (close!), but it wasn't wet either...relatively tough to turn and like any spalted material, the calcite (black lines) make for very frequent sharpening. Fortunately, I have three gouges with the Ellsworth grind on them, so I can go a little longer before hitting the grinder. I actually did most of the hollowing on this piece with the Jamison system, although it's not really the right tool for something in faceplate orientation. But it was so deep, despite the narrow 7" width at the rim, that scraping was the only way to "get in there". Even then, I had to hit the cutter with a diamond hone about every minute or so.

Greg Tatum
04-05-2004, 2:49 AM
WOW very nice.

Donnie Raines
04-05-2004, 9:14 AM
Jim.....my thinking is this: If I become a serious turner, me thinks I will simply turn a blank of "regular" maple and then let mey little girls scribble all over it with sharpies.......then mine would look kinda like your's.

Its items like these(yours) that really inspire me to me to start turning!

DonnieR

Waymon Campbell
04-05-2004, 9:16 AM
That is one spectacular bowl Jim. Very pretty.

Jim Becker
04-05-2004, 9:25 AM
If I become a serious turner...

"When", not "if", Donnie! :D:D:D

Jason Tuinstra
04-05-2004, 9:34 AM
Jim, great piece! The wood looks fantastic on this one. You certainly did it right.

Steve Inniss
04-05-2004, 8:32 PM
Jim, That is a beautiful piece of spalted maple - looks like an excellent choice of when to turn it on your part. -Steve

Glenn Hodges
04-06-2004, 9:15 AM
Jim, I believe you caught the spalting just right. This is beautiful. You did a great job with the photo also.

Mark Singer
04-06-2004, 9:31 AM
Jim,
Great job! Beautiful wood too...

Jim Becker
04-06-2004, 10:01 AM
Thanks to everyone for your kind comments. They are appreciated.

Someone on a woodturning forum commented that this is a "pedistal" piece. I agree. 360º viewing would certainly be desirable on such a beautiful piece of wood.`So if I keep this one for myself, I guess I'll have to build a pedistal of some kind. Sheesh. The project list grows longer...

Donnie Raines
04-06-2004, 10:23 AM

Someone on a woodturning forum commented that this is a "pedistal" piece. I agree. 360º viewing would certainly be desirable on such a beautiful piece of wood.`So if I keep this one for myself, I guess I'll have to build a pedistal of some kind. Sheesh. The project list grows longer...
I know......I know........I KNOW!!!!!!!!! :D :D :mad: :mad:

DonnieR

Chris Padilla
04-06-2004, 12:12 PM

Spectacular, Jim! :)

Now you need a slowly rotating pedestal to put that on! :D Or, perhaps on a shelf or something with mirrors?

Jeff Skory
04-06-2004, 5:04 PM
Wow! What an incredible piece of wood! Beautiful job on the turning and GREAT photography. Keep them coming. :D

Rob Littleton
04-06-2004, 7:21 PM
when i grow up, i wanna be like you Jim

That is one nice bowl dude

Alan Turner
04-06-2004, 8:38 PM
Jim,
Wonderful job with a wonderful piece of wood.
Alan

Jim Becker
04-06-2004, 9:27 PM
when i grow up, i wanna be like you Jim

They will really like you in Prescott if you grow a pony tail...which would be a requirement. But trust me, you don't want to be like me when you grow up...too complicated working for Avaya in your house. LOYL would dis-own you.;)