PDA

View Full Version : A good first TS?

Scotty Stepp
05-07-2008, 8:49 AM
Would the TS2400-1 Ridgid Heavy Duty 10" Portable Table Saw with Stand be a good first TS for me to get started with? I want to build cabinets, dressers, etc. but just getting started. I'm on a tight budget so I am hoping this would be a good buy. He is asking $200.

Here is the link if you want to take a look:

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/670322097.html

Thanks for the advise.

-Scotty

Curt Harms
05-07-2008, 9:02 AM
I have a Grizzly cab saw and haven't used the Ridgid TS2400 so factor that in. If you need the ability to fold it up and store it or transport it, The Ridgid or one like it i.e. Bosch or DeWalt seem like good choices. If not, contractor-style saws like the Emerson-built Craftsman can be had for the same money and have induction motors vs. universal motors on the job site saws like the Ridgid. Induction motors are generally quieter and live longer. The fence on a contractor style saw can be upgraded easily down the road if you see fit; I'm not sure about the job site-type saws.

My 2 centavos and worth what you paid for it:)

Curt

Rob Hough
05-07-2008, 9:24 AM
Would the TS2400-1 Ridgid Heavy Duty 10" Portable Table Saw with Stand be a good first TS for me to get started with? I want to build cabinets, dressers, etc. but just getting started. I'm on a tight budget so I am hoping this would be a good buy. He is asking $200.

Here is the link if you want to take a look:

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/670322097.html

Thanks for the advise.

-Scotty

Hey Scotty, I'm in Indy too, and a beginner as well. I bought my TS used last summer on Craigslist. It was an older (last 10yrs or so) contractors saw. Works pretty well for my needs and I found it for around $175 or something like that.

Personally, unless space is a huge issue for you... I would avoid the jobsite saws. I've heard good things about a couple of them, but I wouldn't personally be interested in trying to make cabinets and large furniture on one.

Whatever you do... Stay FAR away from the Hitachi brand job site saws. That was my first TS, and it was a complete piece of junk. I gave it away and I actually felt bad for the person I gave it to.

Ben Cadotte
05-07-2008, 10:04 AM
I would suggest looking at a used contractors saw. There have been several people post on here about getting a new Rigid contractors saw at HD for about $370. Seems the deals are fairly often.

Unless you really want the smaller saw I say keep looking.

Orlando Gonzalez
05-07-2008, 10:31 AM
I agree with Ben. I got a Ridgid TS3660 for $380 at HD (the manager accepted a 15% coupon from Lowes and let me pick between the 3650 or the 3660 both listed at $469). It will serve me well for developing my skills and until I can get a full fledge shop. I looked at the portables but decided on the 3660 for now.

scott spencer
05-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Ditto what the others have said....the TS2400 is a very good portable jobsite saw, but the construction and size constraints of a very good portable have no additional advantages over a very good full size (27"d x 40"w) cast iron stationary saw with a belt drive induction motor. There will be significant differences in the size of the table area, especially in front of the blade, the mass and stability (~ 250-300# vs ~ 75#), longterm reliability, noise, and overall materials of construction that all favor something like a contractor saw or hybrid. The TS2400 is up to the task but it's not necessarily the best you can do for that price in a used saw.

Something like an older Delta, Jet, Ridgid, or a used Craftsman saw pops up for sale in your price range frequently around here.

this 87931 this 87934 this 87937 or this 87933 vs this 87932

HTH...Good luck.

J. Z. Guest
05-07-2008, 11:00 AM
Scotty, you better jump on that before someone else does. I bought one and paid the full $420 and it was good even at that price. It was the ultimate saw for me. Can be moved/stored, excellent fence & mobile base/stand, soft start motor, just perfect for a small shop. The fence on the Ridgid is much better than the comparable Bosches, which cost a lot more.

If you have money & space, I agree that a cabinet saw would be better, but I'm building nice furniture with my humble TS2400.

FYI - I had a Shopsmith, a Jet contractor saw, and a Makita jobsite saw in the past. This one is better than all of them. The Jet had more power, but a garbage fence. The Makita had no precision anywhere, and the Shopsmith had the table at chest height for me when cutting thinner wood. (the stock fence was also not good)

The folks who are damning this saw just because it is categorized along with a bunch of junk saws like $100 Skils are not doing it justice. It really is in a different league.

Harley Lewis
05-07-2008, 11:06 AM
Scotty, I agree with others and I personally would not buy the portable saw for a home shop. You can frequently find contractors saws in your area and I would wait.

I have had 3 table saws; I started with a cheapo craftsman, then a Ridgid 2424, and now a unisaw. I spent more money than I had to by gradually moving up in quality. The TS2424 is a good saw and it makes good repeatable cuts, the craftsman did not. I doubt that the one you are looking at will have repeatability, you need more mass and muscle than it will have to create good consistant performance. The cabinet saw is in another league!

My advice is to get the best you can the first time and not buy stuff you will be disappointed with as you get better working with wood. Be patient and a good buy will show up in your area.

Derek Tuchscherer
05-07-2008, 11:16 AM
I would tend to agree with Jeremy. I have had this saw for almost two years now and it has done everything I have asked of it. I have run an 8" dado blade on it (full 3/4" width), and most recently while building my daughters bed was cutting 3" thick red oak with it...did it labour...yes a little bit, but did I feel it was underpowered...not in the slightest. I have sealed off the bottom and back for connection to my dust collector ...which you'd have to do with a contractor saw as well. Will I upgrade eventually? Maybe, but even if I do, I don't think I will ever get rid of this saw...it is a perfect blend of quality, convenience, and at the price your talking it is an EXCEPTIONAL value.

I hope this helps.

Derek

scott spencer
05-07-2008, 11:30 AM
...The folks who are damning this saw just because it is categorized along with a bunch of junk saws like $100 Skils are not doing it justice. It really is in a different league.

Jeremy - I didn't notice anyone "damning" the 2400...sounds like it has suited your needs well and they may even suit the OP's need, but there are physical tradeoffs that were pointed out to a first time buyer. The very best jobsite saw is lighter, louder, and has a smaller work surface than a full size saw...optional emotional attachments are possible with both types. :D

Tim Reagan
05-07-2008, 11:50 AM
U should be able to find a older craftsman CS with cast iron wings and USA Emerson motor on CL for 150-200$ over the next couple of months. U would probably just want to upgrade the fence.

J. Z. Guest
05-07-2008, 12:21 PM
Scott Spencer: I had the Jet contractors saw you pictured. The Jetfence was junk. Too much flex at the rear, where it doesn't lock down. They offer it with a decent fence too, but not at that price point.

You make good points about noise and table area in front of the blade, and that will need to be balanced with Scotty's need for compactness & portability. In a small shop, the 2400's ability to knock down and stand up in the corner has been very nice.

If space is not an issue, I'd by all means go for the 3650, but not an entry level Jet or Delta with the cheezy fence.

Glen Blanchard
05-07-2008, 1:38 PM
FYI - I had a Shopsmith, a Jet contractor saw, and a Makita jobsite saw in the past. This one is better than all of them. The Jet had more power, but a garbage fence.

Jeremy - Do I understand this correctly? You moved (directly or indirectly) from a JET contractor saw to the Ridgid jobsite saw? I know you did not care for the stock JET fence, but this is the first time I have ever heard of someone considering a jobsite saw superior to a contractor saw. My progression through table saws since I began woodworking 10 years ago has been somewhat circuitous. Here is how it went (don't laugh too hard).

1. cheap Skill jobsite (junk indeed)
2. DeWalt jobsite (much better than the Skill)
3. JET contractor
4. JET cabinet
5. SawStop

I am done upgrading now. ;)

Although the DeWalt jobsite is one of the better jobsite table saws, it did not hold a candle to the JET contractor - so I was surprised to read your comparison.

J. Z. Guest
05-07-2008, 5:25 PM
Jeremy - Do I understand this correctly? <snip>
Although the DeWalt jobsite is one of the better jobsite table saws, it did not hold a candle to the JET contractor - so I was surprised to read your comparison.

Yes, you're correct. I started with a Makita jobsite saw. (junk)

Went to a Shopsmith. (not junk at all, but I didn't feel safe with it and I couldn't get the stock fence to stay parallel)

Started going to stationary tools and bought the Jet contractor saw. One of the stamped wings was twisted as shipped and unusable. Jet CS was awesome; shipped me two cast iron ones. But the JetFence was frustrating. It locked nice & solid in the front, but only after a lot of frustration did I discover that it was deflecting at the rear under load, and I couldn't get a cut without burns. The induction motor was great, the table area was great, but it took up a LOT of space in a one car garage. At that point, I took a few years off of woodworking until I got my own place.

Remembering what a pain in the butt it was always having that saw in the way, I looked for the best jobsite saw I could find. (and I think I found it) I could move the saw on its mobile base, but it was so big it was never really out of the way.

So now I've got the TS2400. It hasn't quite got the torque as the 1.5 hp Jet, nor does it have as much room in front of the blade, but it has a few things that make up for it and then some:

- True portability
- Good dust collection
- Awesome fence; no frustration at all.

I work in 1/2 of a one car garage most of the time. I can move motorcycles out when weather permits, and it would just not be possible with a larger saw. Between the basic jet and the 2400, I'd take the 2400. I don't know how much one needs to spend on a contractors saw to get a decent fence, but I don't think it is in the $400 price range any more. (maybe used?)

So back to this topic: How much room does the original poster have for the saw? If he has a 1-1.5 car garage space, go with the 2400 so he can use the room for other stuff when need be. (ex. fold up the saw & roll it into a corner when he needs to make an assembly table out of sawhorses & plywood) If he has 2 car or bigger, I agree that a used contractor saw with a good fence is the better buy.

J. Z. Guest
05-07-2008, 5:27 PM
U should be able to find a older craftsman CS with cast iron wings and USA Emerson motor on CL for 150-200$ over the next couple of months. U would probably just want to upgrade the fence.
This is a perfect example, it comes down to the fence. A $200 saw may require another few hundred for a decent fence. The 2400 is $200 and includes a good fence.

Jim Becker
05-07-2008, 5:47 PM
Going the used market, look for a good contractor's style saw. If you buy new, go with a hybrid. Avoid most of the "portable" saws. Even the best of them can be marginal for woodworking, either due to size, or accuracy issues.

scott spencer
05-07-2008, 5:53 PM
...But the JetFence was frustrating. It locked nice & solid in the front, but only after a lot of frustration did I discover that it was deflecting at the rear under load, and I couldn't get a cut without burns...

I know this swings slightly off topic but I think it's an important point if the issues with your Jet Fence are swaying anyone's decision....it doesn't make sense to me that a fence that's deflecting would cause burns. Pinching in causes burns but not usually deflection away from the blade unless it's deflecting alot, then swinging back in. If that was the case, I can't help but wonder if something was amiss with the setup. Alot of folks who've used it found the Jet Fence to be at least functional. Most fences I've seen that have any deflection don't deflect enough at the point of the cut to effect the cut much. Could there have been some other issue with that fence? Anyone have any insights?

Back on topic....a jobsite saw has less room for "growth" or upgrades outside of a miter gauge and blade upgrade, and maybe a saw station. A standard size contractor saw is open to a myriad of improvements down the road including those just mentioned, plus things like wings, fence (52" rip fences), pulleys, belt, motor, inserts, DC upgrades, etc., and things like standard router tables are more common for full size saws. There are good new fences available in the $120 range every day, and sale prices put an awful lot of $80 Biesemeyers and $100 Unifences in people's shops just this year, and used fences can be pretty cheap.

Just more food for thought for the OP....

Rich Engelhardt
05-07-2008, 6:24 PM
Hello,

Would the TS2400-1 Ridgid Heavy Duty 10" Portable Table Saw with Stand be a good first TS for me to get started with? I want to build cabinets, dressers, etc. but just getting started.
No.
Portables are fine and do a very good job - if portability is what you're after.
I bought a Hitachi job site portable thinking I could get by with it until I could afford something else.
That idea lasted all of one project until I started finding out how limited I was in the scope of things I could attempt.

I recently upgraded to a Ridgid 3660 .

Gary Falls
05-07-2008, 7:38 PM
Buy the 200 dollar rigid, make a few projects, get frustrated (4X8 sheets)and buy a good contractor or hybrid saw, use that for a couple of years, and once youre good and addicted to making sawdust, get a 3 horse cabinet saw, Then be happy

Gerold Griffin
05-07-2008, 8:34 PM
Take a few trips to some local cabinet shops and places like that. I got my saw there for less than half the list price. Put about another $50 into it not counting the new blade and a weekend of elbow grease. Now I got a saw better than I hoped for,and for less money than what I was going to spend originally!