PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Know What This Is Called?

Dean Baumgartner
04-04-2004, 10:56 PM
LOML went to the first flea market of the year and came back with this for me :)

I actually do know what it's called but just thought I'd throw a couple of pics up and see if anyone else knew.

Dean

Brad Hammond
04-04-2004, 11:04 PM
a draw bench....................what do i win?

Jim DeLaney
04-04-2004, 11:10 PM
Got yourself a pretty doggone nice shaving horse there.

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
04-04-2004, 11:11 PM
A dumb head, a shaving bench, etc, Many names used around the country and at different times.

Dean Baumgartner
04-04-2004, 11:17 PM
The name that I have for it is a "Schnitzelbank". Of course LOML was shopping with the owner of our local German Restaurant so that might have something to do with it.

Dean

Jim Becker
04-04-2004, 11:50 PM
A dumb head, a shaving bench, etc, Many names used around the country and at different times.

The name I've seen for this is a shaving horse...Roy Underhill uses one on his show if you are lucky enought to get it on PBS. (I don't, unfortunately)

The idea is that the bench not only supports your tush, but it also acts as a quick release clamp for the workpiece as you work it with a drawknive or similar tool. You can very quckly release the pressure, reposition the workpiece, grasp it again and start working with the knife from a different perspective.

Donnie Raines
04-05-2004, 9:17 AM
Heck....I thought it was the original Weider weight lifting bench...... :p

DonnieR

Todd Burch
04-05-2004, 10:30 AM
It's a fine looking, light-looking but strong, I'm sure, shaving horse that been used for ages, was made with a deft hand and with nice proportion, and has recently been severely abused by an ignorant antqiue dealer with some gloss polyurethane.

James Carmichael
04-05-2004, 1:00 PM
Heck....I thought it was the original Weider weight lifting bench...... :p

DonnieR

LOL, Donnie.

I swear a saw one of those on a tour of the dungeon at "Medieval Times", right next to the thumbscrews!

Jim Becker
04-05-2004, 1:38 PM
...and has recently been severely abused by an ignorant antqiue dealer with some gloss polyurethane.

Very good observation. Ouch! There would never be any kind of finish on something like this outside the patina of time and use.

Stefan Antwarg
04-05-2004, 5:28 PM
Yes, I am very familiar with that. It is a snow mobile propped up on legs.

Gary Sutherland
04-05-2004, 6:06 PM
If it were mine, I'd just call it Dog. I'm sure it'd come 'a runnin!

Dean Baumgartner
04-05-2004, 7:32 PM
The name I've seen for this is a shaving horse...Roy Underhill uses one on his show if you are lucky enought to get it on PBS. (I don't, unfortunately)

The idea is that the bench not only supports your tush, but it also acts as a quick release clamp for the workpiece as you work it with a drawknive or similar tool. You can very quckly release the pressure, reposition the workpiece, grasp it again and start working with the knife from a different perspective.

I mentioned that to LOML that now that I had this Neander bench I'd have to acquire a whole new set of tools to use it with. Just got "that" look.

I don't know why not though, she started it.

Dean Baumgartner
04-05-2004, 7:34 PM
It's a fine looking, light-looking but strong, I'm sure, shaving horse that been used for ages, was made with a deft hand and with nice proportion, and has recently been severely abused by an ignorant antqiue dealer with some gloss polyurethane.

I agree about the poly on it. I think the antique dealer was thinking somebody would set it in their house as a decoration. What a waste of a fine bench.

Dean Baumgartner
04-05-2004, 7:36 PM
Yes, I am very familiar with that. It is a snow mobile propped up on legs.

No, I've got the antique snowmobile out in the yard left for me by the previous owner of my house. Also had a Jawa motorcycle but that I sold.

Steve Inniss
04-05-2004, 8:25 PM
Dean: AKA bodger's bench. -Steve