PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Carving:)

Khalid Khattak
05-07-2008, 12:28 AM
I am doing multi work, some of it belongs to carving..u can see the work in following thread...please post ur comments:)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=83325

Daniel Heine
05-07-2008, 10:25 AM
Khalid,

I am a member of the old school when it comes to carving. I enjoy the process of holding a tool, and hitting it with a mallet, or pushing it by hand. I do not use rotary tools or reciprocating carvers, because to my mind it is machine manipulation, not carving. Unfortunately, I feel the same way about your homemade CNC machine. It's not real carving. There will be many that do not agree with me, and that is fine. We are all entitled to our opinions. It's just my feeling about carving.

Dan

Khalid Khattak
05-08-2008, 8:35 AM
Khalid,

I am a member of the old school when it comes to carving. I enjoy the process of holding a tool, and hitting it with a mallet, or pushing it by hand. I do not use rotary tools or reciprocating carvers, because to my mind it is machine manipulation, not carving. Unfortunately, I feel the same way about your homemade CNC machine. It's not real carving. There will be many that do not agree with me, and that is fine. We are all entitled to our opinions. It's just my feeling about carving.

Dan

My dear Daniel:)
First of all i am totally agree with you...I love carving by hand....but in my case, it is very difficult task (i have no carving skill), i can't do such a great work as u do:(....

I love carving, so i designed my machine to do so....But designing a thing and getting work out of it is not piece of cake... However i am happy whatever the outcome is....I can't compete u and never i wana be in future...
In last,I am thankful to u by posting in my thread...

Khalid Khattak
07-23-2008, 8:08 AM
Daniel can i see your carving work???:D

randall rosenthal
07-23-2008, 8:52 AM
givin a choice i always choose the hand tool....its just more satisfying. however i will use any tool to accomplish what i want to do. any tool, including home made rotary bits and specialty saws that cut and smooth at the same time. theres no rules.

Daniel Heine
07-23-2008, 11:45 AM
Khalid,

I don't have very many picture here at work, but please take a look at these. It's just a simple chip carving that I did for my father, but an example for now.

Dan

John Schreiber
07-23-2008, 12:24 PM
For production work, power and computers are the way to go. For an engineer, I'm sure the development and work are a lot of fun too. For me, I love the feeling of the blade moving through the wood.

I mean nothing personal against anyone, but I do feel badly when I see machine work replacing the kind of carving I enjoy.

Khalid Khattak
07-23-2008, 12:28 PM
Daniel..:) awesome box:)..very beautiful carved and hard work you put in it:)...I think sanding and polishing will make it a great piece of art:)..

I will be very happy to see your other creations and thanks for posting up here...;)

Khalid Khattak
07-23-2008, 12:36 PM
For production work, power and computers are the way to go. For an engineer, I'm sure the development and work are a lot of fun too. For me, I love the feeling of the blade moving through the wood.

I mean nothing personal against anyone, but I do feel badly when I see machine work replacing the kind of carving I enjoy.

John..you are right..i also love hand created art..but currently i am involve in too many projects like Fuel Cell designing and commisssioning in my vehicle, the initial test succeeded and in coming sunday i wll installed the fuel cell in my car:)..i am also involved in my Windmill project..My gas turbine for my model aeroplane is under maching process..my CNC mill give me relaxation for doing these jobs...Ohhhhh..i forgot to tell I am designing and creating the furniture for my home tooo..:) lot of projects and have no time...Its difficult to learn carving art:(

Khalid Khattak
12-28-2008, 9:03 AM
Currently working on Deer Mantle...:D

Khalid Khattak
12-28-2008, 9:05 AM
Few more close up:)

Zahid Naqvi
01-03-2009, 11:38 PM
Khalid, the carving looks good, even if it's done on a CNC, you still have to program it.