PDA

View Full Version : Found an old scroll saw... now I need a motor!

Brian Patterson
05-06-2008, 11:21 PM
I found this great craftsman 18" Scrollsaw at my local reclamation yard for $30. The original manufacturer's tag was on it so I was able to find a little about it at owwm.com and download a scan of the original owner's manual. There wasn't a date on the manual - there were 4 or 5 pictures of various owners that said it was from somewhere in the 50's?

There was a little surface rust on the table but it cleaned up nicely.

Now I need to add a motor. The original model came with a 1/4 HP.

Could anyone recommend a source for buying electric motors?

David DeCristoforo
05-07-2008, 12:48 AM
Maybe you can get David Tiell to part with that 1/2 HP Baldor he picked up....

Johnny Kleso
05-07-2008, 12:54 AM
I have bought some 1/2 HP brand new motors off eBay for $10-$20 one was a surplus pool pump motor with cord and switch...

Your not going to find a deal like mine every week or the year so take a few weeks and wait for a deal..

I have bought three 1/2hp new motors all for less than $15 and only about $15 max shipping.. Two GE and one Marathon all good names...

Buy> Business & Industrial> Electrical & Test Equipment> Motors & Transmissions>

Dave Lindgren
05-07-2008, 4:29 AM
Most modern washing machines have a 1/2 horse reversible motor buried down there amongst the gear casing etc. These motors are strong, reversible, and typically two speed (one for wash, one for spin cycle). They reverse for the pump out cycle. I have my Dad's old craftsman on a home made stand with one of these, and it works beautifully. Belt tension is maintained by the weight of the motor and a sturdy butt hinge. You can buy them at used appliance shops for next to nothing because it is usually the gearbox that goes out in a washer. The low speed setting is perfect for delicate work, and though I rarely use it, hi speed works for roughing out. Wiring is a little screwy but if you can find a wiring diagram for the machine, it tells you which terminal does what.

2FO2BB:D

Gary Lange
05-07-2008, 9:08 AM
I have the same saw and just put a new 1/4 hp motor on it from Grizzly. I even found and downloaded a copy of the Owners Manual on www.owwm.com/ I was quite surprised to find all the information on it. I now have it all cleaned up painted and setup on a new table ready for use.