PDA

View Full Version : Ridge Carbide TS2000- WOW BABY NICE BLADE

Peter Quinn
05-06-2008, 9:57 PM
Bought a Ridge Carbide TS-2000 blade at a woodworking show last weekend, couldn't resist the show pricing, and I was looking for an ATB-R anyway. Its a 40T ATB-R combo blade, and man does it make a nice cut. I used it yesterday to rip some 6/4 maple and to my eye it makes a better cut than my Forrest WWII did when it was new. Now I can send my WWII out for sharpening, maybe I'll do a fair comparison when both blades are fresh and sharp (unlike my memory).

One thing I did notice is that while it is a bit louder (whinier) than a pure ripping blade it feeds very nearly as easily. I am impressed.

Keith Beck
05-07-2008, 8:36 AM
I just opened and started using my Ridge Carbide blade too. Initial impressions are favorable and I too think I prefer it to my WWII and my Freud blade.

Keith

Alan Trout
05-07-2008, 9:06 AM
I like mine as well. To me it is one of the best cutting combo blades out there.

Good Luck

Alan

John Thompson
05-07-2008, 10:04 AM
I cross-cut exclusively with a 72 T 12" Freud on my SCMS.. I rip on the TS with a CMT 24 T up to 1 1/2" an Amana 20 T Euro ripper for over 1 1/2".

But... if I were to ever go to a "one blade does it all" (which I probably won't)... the Ridge 2000 is the one I would drop in my shopping cart. That said after I have used a 40 T Forrest.. Amana.. Infinity and Tenyru.

I don't personally believe that one blade can do it all and get the best results... but the Ridge is about as close as one blade could, IMO.

Sarge..

Howard Acheson
05-07-2008, 10:37 AM
Ridge Carbide Tool Company was started by renegades from Forrest. Reports on their cutting tools have been good.

scott spencer
05-07-2008, 10:48 AM
I like the TS2000 too...I"ve had both the TS2000 and the WWII and find it very difficult to tell the cuts apart when both are new (new blades are analogous to new spark plugs IMHO :) ). Both are US made and available in two kerfs for a 10" 40T but since the TS2000 has considerably more carbide, I think it's a better buy if you plan to hang on to it longterm.

Chris Barnett
05-07-2008, 2:15 PM
I keep re-reading the post for something about the sale price....but alas, nothing is mentioned.

scott spencer
05-07-2008, 2:30 PM
I keep re-reading the post for something about the sale price....but alas, nothing is mentioned.

Dunno about show prices but Holbren offers the TS2000 (http://www.holbren.com/manufacturers.php?manufacturerid=2&catid=51) for ~ $80 with free shipping after "SMC10" discount code.

Peter Quinn
05-07-2008, 8:36 PM
I paid $85 out the door.

Peter Quinn
05-07-2008, 8:47 PM
I didn't mention it but I also have an Amana euro rip, a Freud glue line rip, an 80T Dewalt high ATB laminate/fine cross cut, and a Freud ultimate cross cut. When the cut surface finish is critical or I'm ripping a lot I switch to a dedicated purpose blade. Fact is for lots of operations I find my combo spends more time on the TS than any other. And with a combo like the Ridge or Forrest its frankly hard to tell the difference.

John Thompson
05-07-2008, 11:50 PM
And perhaps Peter, in my comments I should have mentioned that cut finish on a rip is totally un-important to me. I rip a large amount of 8/4 and 10/4 stock and it is always ripped 1/8" wider than necessary as it's going to the jointer to be surfaced for a final edge.

I can rip with a 40 tooth.. but I can cut the time in less than half by using a 20 flat tooth with a ton of gullet to carry waste away. I generally run 100 to 400 feet of linear stock and time is the essence for me.. not the smoothness of the cut. I wouldn't consider a glue-up using the edge from any blade as I don't find it sufficient for my needs.

The same for cross-cuts with a 72 T SCMS. It leaves a fine finish but if the end grain is going to show.. the stock is cut 1/16" longer for each show end and a low angle smoother or block plane gets the call on a shooting board.

Just my approaches from those I learned under for lack of any detailed explanation.. :)

Regards...

Sarge..