PDA

View Full Version : Florida Insanity

Johnny Fischer
05-06-2008, 7:09 PM
It's Tuesday, 7:05 pm & was just browsing through craigslist to see what might be lingering out there and this is a ad somebody placed.
These people must be on drugs or severly intoxicated.

CRAIGSLIST ADD
I have a large stack of 100 or so 6-10 ft boards of hardwood. These came out of my parents woodworking hobby, and have been stored for a few years. Most of them are cherry, but there are some walnut boards and a few mahogany/cedar/oak/maple/etc. Some pieces are planed, most are rough.

Also a few boxes of smaller scraps, some of those are more exotic pieces such as zebra wood. I’ll throw these in for free with purchase of bundle.

I would like to find someone interested in buying the whole lot for a fair price, but not in a hurry and want to get the right offer. From what I can find cherry at least sells for around $20 per board food.

Mark Engel
05-06-2008, 7:25 PM
Such a deal!!

Peter Quinn
05-06-2008, 7:30 PM
Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook.

I think I could cut cherry logs by hand and still come in under $20/bf for non figured FAS.

Sounds like sonny's looking for a pot of gold from Mom and Pop's inheritance, or he's a very drunk leprechaun?

Rob Bodenschatz
05-06-2008, 7:36 PM
Could be a typo or miscalculation or something. I'd contact him first before dismissing it. Maybe he meant $2/bf or $20 per board.

Johnny Fischer
05-06-2008, 7:38 PM
Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook. Crook.

I think I could cut cherry logs by hand and still come in under $20/bf for non figured FAS.

Sounds like sonny's looking for a pot of gold from Mom and Pop's inheritance, or he's a very drunk leprechaun?

When I read this ad I thought the exact thing.
This is not typo error.

Richard M. Wolfe
05-06-2008, 11:13 PM
Who's the crook? If he can find somebody to take the wood off his hands for $20 a foot, what's illegal about that? Unless he intentionally misrepresents the material, that is. If he says something to the effect that - "this is from the tree George Washington cut down...." that would do it. :) Tell the truth, I would have a hard time convicting him of anything no matter what tactics he used if somebody was foolish enough to pay that without looking around first. Lumber prices aren't exactly the hardest thing in the world to check.

Lance Norris
05-07-2008, 2:36 AM
You see the same thing at times on ebay. I just bought several Lithium Ion batteries for my Ryobi tools and there are several batteries with buy it now prices of $128. You can buy the same new battery at HD for $79. They are just basically wasting their time, and may snag a sucker,

Brian Arnold
05-07-2008, 7:35 AM
Wow. I live in Sarasota, I think I'll rush over and over him 19/bd ft. I'll steal it away from everyone:)

Russ Filtz
05-07-2008, 8:19 AM
Florida and Insanity are oxymorons, with emphasis on the Morons! I live here, so I can say this.

Keith Beck
05-07-2008, 8:31 AM
Florida and Insanity are oxymorons, with emphasis on the Morons! I live here, so I can say this.

I think you meant to say that Florida and Insanity are synonymous. :D

Keith

Tony Bilello
05-07-2008, 8:41 AM
I recently started looking for tools on Craigslist in the Houston area. Most tools are Harbor Freight brands and the prices listed are anywhere from a few dollars below Harbor Freight to a few dollars ABOVE HF.
No bargains here.

Tony B

Rob Bodenschatz
05-07-2008, 8:47 AM
For those of you who didn't see the actual ad (looks like it was just deleted), it did say $10-20. I saw it last night. While that is high & I certainly wouldn't pay it, I did find several references where you could buy cherry over $10/bf. If he didn't know anything about hardwood prices, maybe he found the references I found & went with the high side.

Johnny, care to say why you edited the text to exclude the "$10-"? Dramatic effect? Or do you have a bone to pick with this guy? Either way, shame on you for misrepresenting the ad.

Tim Marks
05-07-2008, 8:57 AM
Even if his add said "From what I can find cherry at least sells for around $10 per board food.", it is still insanely high.

Making such a statement is an obvious attempt at misprepresentation, since if he called a couple local retailers (except for maybe the BORG), or looked at online prices (the first few that I saw on google were selling cherry for $6-7/bd ft) he would have had a better idea.

The funny part about this is that anybody who is in the market for a large quantity of cherry probably has a good idea of the selling price.

Rob Bodenschatz
05-07-2008, 9:06 AM
Even if his add said "From what I can find cherry at least sells for around $10 per board food.", it is still insanely high.

Probably.

Hearne Hardwood has cherry listed as high as $14.75/bf:
http://www.hearnehardwoods.com/hardwoods/pricelist/pricelist.html

Woodworkers Source has 10 bf listed for $129.40:
http://www.woodworkerssource.net/Merchant3/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=cp-che-s&Category_Code=Cherry&Product_Count=6

I agree it's high but for the OP to misrepresent the ad and for everyone to jump on the "He's a crook" bandwagon is out of line. Especially since no one bothered to contact the guy.

Again I'll ask: Johnny, why did you edit the text before posting here?

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-07-2008, 10:45 AM
Hey~!! I have some MDF saw dust that Ill let you take off my hands for $300.00 an ounce plus $200.00 per ounce shipping and handling.
I understand that this is a very good deal.

Call now.

Matt Meiser
05-07-2008, 11:06 AM
I don't know who edited what, but it is possible that the guy edited his ad after a copy was posted here.

That said, the guy might be crazy, but not a crook. If he's a crook then so is every retailer who shows the savings they are giving you off list price--which is more than anyone ever pays for an item.

Craig D Peltier
05-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Theres a guy here whos selling a a Ridgid TS 3650 with dado blade for 950 he just recently redeuced it to 750. What a bargain.

Matt Meiser
05-07-2008, 12:29 PM
BTW, the ReUse Center in Ann Arbor, Michigan is selling hardwoods from "urban trees" retail at these kinds of prices. And people are apparently buying them.

Eric DeSilva
05-07-2008, 1:21 PM
I'd note he seems to be selling on the basis of "per board FOOD." If I had my woodworker's lexicon handy, I'm sure I'd find that there are at least five bd-ft in a board food.

Johnny Fischer
05-07-2008, 5:56 PM
Probably.

Hearne Hardwood has cherry listed as high as $14.75/bf:
http://www.hearnehardwoods.com/hardwoods/pricelist/pricelist.html

Woodworkers Source has 10 bf listed for $129.40:
http://www.woodworkerssource.net/Merchant3/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=cp-che-s&Category_Code=Cherry&Product_Count=6

I agree it's high but for the OP to misrepresent the ad and for everyone to jump on the "He's a crook" bandwagon is out of line. Especially since no one bothered to contact the guy.

Again I'll ask: Johnny, why did you edit the text before posting here?

Rob,
#1, Nothing was edited.
#2, WHO ARE YOU TO ACCUSE SOMEONE OF EDITING SOMETHING WHEN YOU DON'T KNOW IT WAS EDITED FROM THE START.
The add stated word for word what was posted.
I emailed the seller and politely informed him what acceptable prices are for this product & additional asked if he would like to discuss a realistic price for the lumber. He has not responded. What does that tell you?

Clara Koss
05-07-2008, 7:49 PM
just because the parents had a hobby does not mean the son knows anything about wood or the cost of wood...he is just trying to sell the contents of the home...my sons know very little about what my husband and i have paid for things through the years...when we kick the bucket they will put items for sale and hope for the best...just make the guy an offer for pete's sake !!!!

Dan Lee
05-07-2008, 8:59 PM
For those of you who didn't see the actual ad (looks like it was just deleted), it did say $10-20. I saw it last night. While that is high & I certainly wouldn't pay it, I did find several references where you could buy cherry over $10/bf. If he didn't know anything about hardwood prices, maybe he found the references I found & went with the high side.

Johnny, care to say why you edited the text to exclude the "$10-"? Dramatic effect? Or do you have a bone to pick with this guy? Either way, shame on you for misrepresenting the ad.

And we know your version is correct because .....

Brian Weick
05-07-2008, 9:02 PM
Yea~ get real, and how many have you had? People are funny~ it's people like us that have to keep like "that" ~in line -:D
Brian

Peter Quinn
05-07-2008, 9:10 PM
Just for the sake of fueling this polite fire the cherry at Hearn at $14.75/BF is 16/4 FAS 9" and wider, 8' and longer. Seriously, for cherry, that's big slabs. That's the reason for the big price. Most of their quality cherry comes in below $7/bf, and I don't think they are known for being cheap. I'm guessing if a slab turns up highly figured the price goes up.

So I have this 78 Subaru for sale and I see used Bentlys going in the $125K range, so if anybody needs a Subaru GL for $125K please call.

Perhaps cherry sells for more in FLA as it doesn't grow there thus must be scarce?

Rob Bodenschatz
05-07-2008, 9:20 PM
Just for the sake of fueling this polite fire the cherry at Hearn at $14.75/BF is 16/4 FAS 9" and wider, 8' and longer. Seriously, for cherry, that's big slabs. That's the reason for the big price. Most of their quality cherry comes in below $7/bf, and I don't think they are known for being cheap. I'm guessing if a slab turns up highly figured the price goes up.

Can't argue with that. However, you left out that they also sell 4/4 quarter sawn cherry at $11.30 and 8/4 at $12.30. Those prices are within the range of the ad. You guys gonna call Hearne an intoxicated, drug addicted crook too?

As far as the Bentley comment, did you see what the guy was offering? How do you know it isn't comparable to Hearne's best?

Rob Bodenschatz
05-07-2008, 9:22 PM
And we know your version is correct because .....

If you're talking about the "$10-20", you don't. The ad was deleted when I went to get a screen shot of it this morning. Frankly, I don't care if you believe me or not. If you want, call me on it, though. Here's what you do: put a reminder in your calendar to go to http://web.archive.org and search for http://orlando.craigslist.org/mat/653061758.html. I say to put a reminder in your calendar because I think it only updates after six months or so. The ad ran from 4/23 - 5/6. Search those dates in six months. Come back & let me know what you find.

Randal Cobb
05-07-2008, 9:27 PM
Personally, I look at ads like that as the ones I ignore. Instead of getting all worked up because SOMEONE ELSE is selling something that s/he wants to sell at the price s/he wants to charge, I simply choose to ignore them and move on. For example, this ad for "unassembled MDF" caught my eye: http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mat/659554331.html And at only $50 per bucket full, I bought $250 worth... I never know when I'll need a piece of MDF. With this, I can whip some up whenever I need or want it, plus, I can make some in whatever size I need or want! Some people think I'm nuts for spending that much on "unassembled MDF" when I can buy a whole sheet at the BORG for $30. It's my decision to choose what I view as value, not anyone else's.

Larry Nall
05-08-2008, 9:20 PM
When I saw the title I thought we were going to talk about voting.