PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic DDS-225 Dual Drum Sander 25"

Chris Padilla
05-06-2008, 7:03 PM
I've been using Snarfer to sniff out a drum sander on my local Craigslist and it finally found something I'm considering. I'm finding lots and lots of floor sanders when I search on 'drum sander' unfortunately.

I see these go for about $3k new and the ad states $1.8k for this one.

It is also north of 800 lbs and would be a beast to move for move so it is likely too big for me plus I was hoping for a Performax 22-44 to show up but I have a concern for those with any experience with this Powermatic sander:

The sandpaper appears to be a pain to wrap and find due to the reverse wrapping required and the 4" width needed. At least that is what I've read about thus far. I was curious about comments about this for anyone with direct experience.

Cheers

Johnny Fischer
05-06-2008, 7:16 PM
Chris,
The DDS-225 is next on my list as well and from what my local machinery company tells me is that the Powermatic takes sleeves.
No wrapping involved. Something I didn't ask about was the cost of replacement sanding sleeves, might want to check into that one.

Chris Padilla
05-06-2008, 7:19 PM
Everything I've read says that it is wrapped! I guess we'd both better re-google and see what is up! :)

Peter Quinn
05-06-2008, 7:25 PM
You can have my 22-44 pro....when I'm dead! Unless you want to trade for a combo jointer planer say?

Joe Jensen
05-06-2008, 7:26 PM
I looked closely at the 24" Powermatic at a WW show in Phx over a year ago. Really nice machine. It is a definitely a wrapped machine. Sleeves whould be really hard to change as you'd have to remove the drum to change the sleeve (bearings on both ends). The PM has cast iron drums that looked very heavy duty. I think the Performax has aluminum drums. Since I looked at the PM, I've read that how the paper attaches is really important and it seems that all agree the Woodmaster is best in this regard. I have not inspected a Woodmaster, but my Craig's list search is now for a Woodmaster.

BTW, the PM 24" machine was $2599 at the show. Woodmaster has theirs on sale for $2199 I think. Not sure about shipping, but for a few hundred more, I think I'd go Woodmaster...joe

Johnny Fischer
05-06-2008, 7:26 PM
My local rep may not know what he's talking about either. I'm going to call or email Powermatic themselves & get it straight from the horse mouth.

Chris Padilla
05-06-2008, 7:28 PM
You can have my 22-44 pro....when I'm dead! Unless you want to trade for a combo jointer planer say?

I'd need at least 3 22-44 pros to trade for my J/P!! :eek:

Bruce Page
05-06-2008, 8:02 PM
You got your heart set on a DD? For 1800, you should be able to find a nice Woodmaster. I paid 1500 for my 26” in mint condition, and love it.
Woodmaster also makes a couple of DD’s but they are pricy.

Chris Padilla
05-06-2008, 8:27 PM
Bruce, I don't have my heart set on it but it is the first bite I've had from CL in a couple of weeks.

Peter Quinn
05-06-2008, 8:33 PM
I was LOL thinking that if you put 3 22-44's in a row you would have the world's first triple head DS! Wonder if that would work?

Bruce Page
05-06-2008, 8:43 PM
I was LOL thinking that if you put 3 22-44's in a row you would have the world's first triple head DS! Wonder if that would work?
You could put different grit paper on each one. That'd be quite the production line!
Come 'on Chris, run with it! :D

Johnny Fischer
05-06-2008, 8:46 PM
Chris,
This is Woodmasters current pricing.
I know everybody has their preferences & personally I strongly like Powermatic & other expensive machinery that performs w/ great results.

Because we’re constantly striving to provide you with the most advanced machines at the best possible prices, prices and specs below are subject to change. For the most current specifications and the best possible prices, please contact us directly through email (info@woodmastertools.com) (info@woodmastertools.com) or by calling our toll-free sales line, 1-800-821-6651.
Model 2675
26" - Our Smallest most affordable machine
Reg. $3,047 Now just $2,199
Model 3875
38" - Our Mid-Sized machine for mid-sized shops!
Reg. $4,727 Now just $2,795
Model 3820
38" - Double Drum - Mid-size sander, BIG MACHINE performance!
Reg. $7,499 Now just $4,655
Model 5075
50" - Our Biggest, Best, Commercial-Size drum sander
Reg. $7,906 Now just $3,925

Chris Padilla
05-06-2008, 8:56 PM
I heard a story where some guy bought several 22-44s and outfitted each with a different grit...he got tired of changing the sandpaper!

Chris Padilla
05-06-2008, 8:58 PM
For sure, I'm going used for a drum sander. I just have to be VERY patient and keep checking eBay and CL to find something. I'm not in a terrible hurry so I can wait....

Tom Cowie
05-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Hi Chris

I have the PM DDS-225 it's a beast and it has done whatever i have needed it to do. If the 25" will not limit you I will highly recommend it . The paper is wrapped and 4" works best.

Tom

PS: a very good dust collector is a must

Frank Carpenter
05-06-2008, 11:04 PM
There is a lot of incorrect information in the posts about the DDS-225. I have owned a DDS-225 for over three years. The paper is not hard to replace. You do not need to remove the drums to replace paper. I use the old piece of paper as a template to cut the paper at the start of the wrap. Then I wrap the paper, cut the paper at the end and clamp the end in place. You can use either 3" or 4" rolls. It is a great machine. Very accurate and no problems.

Jeff Duncan
05-07-2008, 10:17 AM
Yup, pretty much what Frank said. I bought mine several years ago and haven't had any problems with it. I haven't used the Performax 22 but I was using a Performax 16/32 before this, and there is simply no comparison.
The performax is a nice toy for small projects, but if you need to sand something, the bigger dual drums are the next best thing to a widebelt.
You can buy your sandpaper in rolls and cut it to length yourself. 4" is what came standard on mine, though I couldn't find a supplier for it at the time I so I bought boxes of 3" ad it works just as well.

good luck,
JeffD

Mitchell Andrus
05-07-2008, 10:51 AM
I've been using my DDS-225 for about 5 years in a production shop. EVERYTHING goes through it. I use 3" wide paper - takes 14' 7" per drum. With that much surface area(525 sq. inches per drum) I go a long time between changes.

It is a dream compared to the open ended 16/32 I had before... no chatter. The rear drum must be set very precicely but only took 15 minutes and I haven't touched the adjustments since new.

I do have to be careful of snipe though if I cut too deep. 2 light passes (120/180) and I'm hand sanding with 180 and 220.

Mike Spanbauer
05-07-2008, 12:18 PM
See now Chris. If that DDS was just a little more reasonably priced, I'd buy it and sell you my 22-44 3-leg pro ;) I don't use the open end function but once in a blue moon (twice in the last 2.5 yrs).

There are deals on used sanders to be had for sure, just a matter of time.

mike

Chris Padilla
05-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Mike,

I was thinking to offer 1.5k to the guy but this is an awfully large piece of non-mobile equipment that I would need to find space for in a 2-car garage. *sigh* If I only had a 3-car garage! ;)

Jason Stein
05-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Somebody just listed a 24" General dual drum sander on craigslist today. It's located in Vallejo/Benicia, no price was listed. Looks like a nice machine.

Mike Spanbauer
05-07-2008, 12:43 PM
You can get wheels on anything! :) I've a 750 lb planer that I move around with relative ease (I'm 34 and 6'3" though which helps).

My 22-44 weighs in around 300lbs total and possesses 3 casters which enable it to move very easily. If you're not familiar with the 3 leg version, basically it's identical to the 22-44pro - drive train, table, support arm, rubber belt, smartsand except that instead of the 2 large support posts, it has just 1 and the table is supported by some very strong plate steel triangles. I'd have to snap a pic to explain better.

I'll pm you.

mike

Chris Padilla
05-07-2008, 12:47 PM
Jason,

It just came up in Snarfer! I wonder how to take an ad where they don't list a price?

Chris Padilla
05-07-2008, 12:49 PM
You can get wheels on anything! :) I've a 750 lb planer that I move around with relative ease (I'm 34 and 6'3" though which helps).

mike

Yep, I'm a ware that I could get it on wheels but that thing is just so huge...I'm just not sure I have room for such a beast....

Jeff Duncan
05-07-2008, 2:12 PM
One other thing to consider besides room for it, is if you have adequate dust collection for one. I don't know off the top of my head the requirements for my sander, but it makes a whole lot of dust.
I used several variations of 1-1/2 - 2hp collectors before I got my central system put in. None of them really worked sufficiently. The best was a 2 hp unit with cartridge filter, but even with that you would have to stop every so often and clean the cartridge, just something to think about!
good luck,
JeffD

Chris Padilla
05-07-2008, 2:13 PM
I'm well setup regarding dust collection so that isn't a consideration for me. :)

Jason Stein
05-07-2008, 2:16 PM
Make room. You know you need this thing;)

David Peters
05-07-2008, 3:56 PM
One small tip for DDS-225 owners. When changing the paper, do *not* drop one of the screws that hold the trapezoidal cleats in place, as it is likely to fall into a crevice inside the tool which is not reachable without lifting the entire tool off the ground -- an impossibility for anyone not named Schwartzenegger.

/me dashes off to HD to try to find a replacement screw..... :mad:

Mike Spanbauer
05-07-2008, 4:59 PM
I called on the GI in CL and he's asking $1800 for it / OBO.... I can buy it new for $1749...

I didn't even make an offer on the unit as I told him my offer would likely insult him with his initial asking price.

mike

Jeff Duncan
05-07-2008, 5:04 PM
Hey David, you do realize you don't have to remove the screw to change the paper don't you? You just loosen it a turn or so and pop the little cleat up with the end of the allen key. I've never removed it completely and with my ability to lose most anything, I don't think I ever will;)

JeffD

David Peters
05-07-2008, 6:51 PM
Hey David, you do realize you don't have to remove the screw to change the paper don't you? You just loosen it a turn or so and pop the little cleat up with the end of the allen key. I've never removed it completely and with my ability to lose most anything, I don't think I ever will;)

JeffD

NOW you tell me! ;)

Definitely not a mistake I plan to make twice.....:rolleyes:

jim sauterer
05-07-2008, 9:32 PM
chris what is a snarfer.thanks

Chris Padilla
05-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Jim,

*Click* (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=81675)

Alan Schaffter
05-08-2008, 6:05 PM
Question- why a "DUAL" drum sander??? I have one, but got to thinking about the two drums.

The usual setup is to put coarse grit (80 - 100) on the infeed drum and finer grit (120 - 160) on the outfeed drum. That is all fine and good if you just make one pass. If you need to make more than one pass, you are wasting the fine grit on all but the last pass, since the stock comes in contact with the coarse grit drum first on each succeeding pass.

My thought is that dual drums are fine so you can have two grits loaded at the same time and so you don't need to stop and change grits. But, you need to be able to select which drum/grit will contact the stock on a particular pass- run the stock through one or more times with the coarse grit/drum in contact until it is close to final thickness, then select the finer grit/drum for the last pass or two.

I am thinking about modifying my old 24" Grizzly to do just that.

Mike Spanbauer
05-08-2008, 7:52 PM
For my veneer work though, I only shoot a piece through the DS once. Having 120 and 150 or even 100 and 120 would be very valuable for my needs. Hence my search for a dual :)

mike

Tom Cowie
05-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Yep, I'm a ware that I could get it on wheels but that thing is just so huge...I'm just not sure I have room for such a beast....

Sorry Chris I don't buy that. I have mine on a PM moble base that is designed for the DDS about 165 extra but worth it . Also I have a 12x16 shop that is full. :p

Tom