PDA

View Full Version : NG Arrival - Hello!

Rob Hough
05-06-2008, 1:43 PM
Hello. Name is Rob. I'm a complete n00b, but I'm working on it. Please excuse my ignorance if you can. By day I'm a computer dork, and by night I play guitar in a couple of metal bands. Weekend warrior when time permits.

I've got a couple of projects that I want to get started on soon. One is a workshop bench w/hutch (sorta like the one from NYW), plus an assembly table sorta like I saw The Wood Whisperer build.

I have very few hand tools at the moment, and my power tools are not so hot. I do have a decent Craftsman TS, drill press, 6" belt sander, miter saw, and a 15" bandsaw.

Plan to get a jointer or planer next. Any suggestions which I should get first? Also have a dust collector and air filter in the works. Hope to have those this weekend! Weeeeee!

Current project that I'm working on is building an oak board bow. Anyone here build bows before? Any advice you can spare? :)

J. Z. Guest
05-06-2008, 1:53 PM
Welcome Rob. The planer vs. jointer question comes up often, and the consensus is always planer first. You can make a sled for the planer and do face jointing, but never vice versa. Then, a router & router table so you can edge joint.

But before you get all carried away with that stuff, I'd say just go project by project and buy what you need for each project. That way, you'll end up with the tools you need to do the type of work you like. If you build mostly out of sheet goods, you won't need a jointer OR planer, for instance. If you do mostly turning, you won't need either one but will probably want a bandsaw and lathe.

If you want to make furniture out of solid wood with lots of straight pieces (like most of us) you'll want both a planer & jointer.

Oh, and one other thing. Woodworking takes a LOT of time. Other hobbies don't get along well with woodworking. I just gave up on RC airplanes and am having to split time between motorcycling & woodworking now.

You may have to do the same type of thing with your metal band. It's the "when time allows" bit that's the killer. ;)

Ben Cadotte
05-06-2008, 2:54 PM
First off,

Welcome :)

Now to the woodworking:

Like others I say planer before jointer.

As for tools you didn't list router. I would make that the next tool. I got lucky and managed to get a decent cheap router. I have since purchased a couple good ones (when a good sale was on). They have alot more uses / capabilities than you would think.