PDA

View Full Version : SMC-er visits Packerland!

John Miliunas
04-04-2004, 7:21 PM
Had a most pleasant visit this afternoon from fellow Creek'r, Tyler Howell! Yup, you read that right! 'Ya know...For a Vikings fan, he's OK. :D Actually, *more* than just OK. Certainly a very gracious and hospitable individual. And for you folks who do a lot of flying, you best be nice to him, too, 'cuz he's one of the main dudes responsible for keeping them big birds flying safely up there! The man is into so many neat activities, I don't know when he finds the time for all of them. Besides WW, there's sailboats, scuba diving, skiing, rehabbing his home,..... Makes me tired just thinking of it!

Yet, with all of his positive attributes, the guy is still convinced the World is flat! Nope, try as I might, he pretty much steered clear of the spinny things! (Kept referring to it as the "Dark Side". Frankly, I think he'd really love to do it, but is just in some personal state of denial, plus he'd have to do a whole lot of explaining to the rest of the Creek populace! :D ) I *do*, however, know that he appreciates fine workmanship from those spinny things. He brought along a few pens he purchased from our very own pen-turning marksman, Ken Sallisbury. Beautiful stuff, Ken! :D

At any rate, it was really great of him to visit. Sheeeeesh...Now that I think about it, out of the two SMC visitors I've had, both are from MN!!! (Sorry guys, the Packer & Badger stuff is staying up on the walls!) He knows how to keep the girls happy, too. Below, you can see he made my daughter's day by gifting her with a real neat T-shirt, which she is sporting in the pic below. Thanks for taking a peek and Tyler, thank you for a wonderful afternoon. I look forward to the next time we meet! :cool:

Frank Pellow
04-04-2004, 7:48 PM
I love the T shirt and would like to purchase one for my duaghter.

Tyler (or John), do you know where I can purchase such shirt?

John Miliunas
04-04-2004, 8:04 PM

Tyler's your man on this one, Frank. He was headed to Milwaukee after he left here, so I don't know how soon he'll be at a PC. Either way, drop him a PM and see if he can lay his hands on another one. :cool:

Jim Becker
04-04-2004, 8:49 PM
It's nice to visit and be visited, especially with fellow woodworkers! Now, I have to ask you...was Tyler wearing his ear flap hat? :D

BTW, your daughter looks like she means business with those power tools! 'Careful, she'll be wanting tools of her own and you'll have to double the budget...:p

John Miliunas
04-04-2004, 9:42 PM
It's nice to visit and be visited, especially with fellow woodworkers! Now, I have to ask you...was Tyler wearing his ear flap hat? :D

Hey Jim, no ear flap hat, but I think I saw him put his pony tail away before he pulled up! :D :cool:

Dale Thompson
04-04-2004, 9:57 PM
Hi Spring,
Please don't tell ne that you have TWO friends who are from VIKING Land. Well - it looks like your daughter can pick up the slack from where YOU left off. :) She's got the tools and the look and doesn't hide behind a mustache. ;) :)

The last time that I took a couple days at the cabin, I got PMs from both you and Tyler wondering how DEEP the undertaker had buried me. OK - So I take a couple days more up there and I see that you are actually ASSOCIATING with that Viking guy. ;)

I have heard that ALL Viking fans are BAAADDDDD!!! So much for what I have heard. Don't believe everything that you hear. Tyler, however, may be an exception.

Whatever, since this is a woodworking forum, I've got to focus on that. I've built a 20' by 8' 1:32 scale slot car track up in the rec. room at my cabin. I LOVE to go fast but that requires banked curves. Trying to turn flat track into banked track is easy - right? Just put wedges under the track and GO. NOT SO!! My neighbor's second grade daughter explained to me that I would have to reduce the curve radius by the trigonometric cosine of the "bank" angle. I would then have to trim some track to compensate for the reduction in radius and then cut some mitre/bevel wedges to keep the track flat on the bank. I wanted a 25 deg. bank so the cosine of 25 degrees was the key. I cut the "wedges at a miter of from 2 deg. to 25 deg. and and the corresponding bevel at 2 deg. intervals to compensate for the elevation change.

AW, HECK!! :confused: I've got some pictures. If anyone is into slot cars, let me know. I've got a detailed article on the process. It's not a weekend project but it sure is FUN!!! :D :D :D Incidentally, the pictures are from my old camera and not very good. No problem. the pictures from my new camera are not any better. :o ;)

Dale T.

John Miliunas
04-04-2004, 10:37 PM
Hey Dale, no, not all Viking fans are BAAAAAADDDDD! Both visitors from Mn, Tyler and Dave Richards are A-OK in my book! And no, before you ask, neither of them had purple hair! :D Oh, and believe it or not, both were brave enough to throw return invites my way, too! Now, if I can ever make it out of this tri-county radius, I may venture into Vikingland and pay them a visit, as well. ;) (That is, of course, if they don't change their minds before then! :rolleyes: )

Now, as to your woodworking and mathematical skills; Do you honestly expect us to believe that a young, second grader could possibly instruct you on how to do that? I would guess, that at best, maybe an entire team of 2nd and 3rd graders, grilling you night and day for a week or so, may be able to accomplish that, but one little girl? Naw...I just don't believe it! :D My guess is that you've got a closet full of various wedges, which you found not to work and you're saving them to paint and sell at the next church bazaar, so that you can give that little girl some money for figuring it all out for you! :D

Seriously, really pretty impressive, Dale! It's been a gazillion years since I've messed with scale race tracks and those were just HO gauge. It looks to me like you've got one sweet setup going there. So, can you hit the banks at full throttle or drive in like the real thing at a reduced speed and hit it hard partway through the turn? Really looks like a blast to run on! Have fun and thanks for the post! Really! :cool:

Dale Thompson
04-04-2004, 11:05 PM
Hey Dale, no, not all Viking fans are BAAAAAADDDDD! Both visitors from Mn, Tyler and Dave Richards are A-OK in my book! And no, before you ask, neither of them had purple hair! :D Oh, and believe it or not, both were brave enough to throw return invites my way, too! Now, if I can ever make it out of this tri-county radius, I may venture into Vikingland and pay them a visit, as well. ;) (That is, of course, if they don't change their minds before then! :rolleyes: )

Now, as to your woodworking and mathematical skills; Do you honestly expect us to believe that a young, second grader could possibly instruct you on how to do that? I would guess, that at best, maybe an entire team of 2nd and 3rd graders, grilling you night and day for a week or so, may be able to accomplish that, but one little girl? Naw...I just don't believe it! :D My guess is that you've got a closet full of various wedges, which you found not to work and you're saving them to paint and sell at the next church bazaar, so that you can give that little girl some money for figuring it all out for you! :D

Seriously, really pretty impressive, Dale! It's been a gazillion years since I've messed with scale race tracks and those were just HO gauge. It looks to me like you've got one sweet setup going there. So, can you hit the banks at full throttle or drive in like the real thing at a reduced speed and hit it hard partway through the turn? Really looks like a blast to run on! Have fun and thanks for the post! Really! :cool:

Spring,
I find that running the 17' straight full out and then "snapping" the throttle for an instant just BEFORE the bank works best. That way, most of my better cars will "slam" the bank at near full throtle. Some cars do the 100' track in 6.5 to 7 seconds. On average, that's about 10 MPH ACTUAL speed. That's faster than the Peshtigo Police Chief will let an old coot like me drive around Peshtigo. :o :o :( ;) BUMMER!!

Dale T.

John Miliunas
04-04-2004, 11:21 PM
That's faster than the Peshtigo Police Chief will let an old coot like me drive around Peshtigo. :o :o :( ;) BUMMER!!

Dale T.

Dale, like I said before, that's pretty sweet! Hey, maybe you should invite the Police Chief up there and see if he can outrun you! :D :cool:

Dave Richards
04-05-2004, 9:48 AM
Now, if I can ever make it out of this tri-county radius, I may venture into Vikingland and pay them a visit, as well. ;) (That is, of course, if they don't change their minds before then! :rolleyes: )

John, I won't change my mind. You are welcome to come any time. If you time it right, you might even get to change a diaper or two. :D

John Miliunas
04-05-2004, 10:07 AM
John, I won't change my mind. You are welcome to come any time. If you time it right, you might even get to change a diaper or two. :D

Ah, Richard. We *need* to talk about that "timing" thing you refer to! :D At any rate, it was an honor to have you and your lovely bride over for a visit and I hope I can make it out your way sometime! Hey, maybe to a newer and/or bigger shop, too, hey???!!! :cool:

Dave Richards
04-05-2004, 10:49 AM
Ah, Richard. We *need* to talk about that "timing" thing you refer to! :D At any rate, it was an honor to have you and your lovely bride over for a visit and I hope I can make it out your way sometime! Hey, maybe to a newer and/or bigger shop, too, hey???!!! :cool:

Not to worry, John. I won't make you do diaper duty. I do hope you'll make it up before I get that new shop since it is a ways out.

Chris Padilla
04-05-2004, 11:40 AM
John,

What? No pics of you and Tyler hashing it out?? We need some new pics of him...that one for is avatar is too funny...does he really smile like that? :)

John Miliunas
04-05-2004, 11:51 AM
John,

What? No pics of you and Tyler hashing it out?? We need some new pics of him...that one for is avatar is too funny...does he really smile like that? :)

Ah yes...Another one I have to refer to Tyler. He's got pics recorded on his digital. And yes, he does what can be referred to as a rather infectious smile. If you can't figure it out from his posts, a very good-natured individual! :cool:

Kent Cori
04-05-2004, 6:14 PM
Here are a few philosophical thoughts reagarding that pseudo-professional football team from Minnesota from someone raised in Green Bay and who, after much consumption of great Wisonsin beer, managed to graduate from Madison:

Did you hear that the Post Office just recalled their Minnesota Viking commemorative stamps?
People couldn't figure out which side to spit on.

Q: How many people does it take to change a light bulb at Lambeau Field?
A: Three. One to change it and two to talk about how good the old one was.

Q: What do you call a Minnesota Viking with a Super Bowl ring?
A: A thief.

Q: Why doesn't Iowa have a professional football team?
A: Because Minnesota would want one too.

Q: What separates the one good team from the bad teams in the NFC North?
A: The Wisconsin border.

Q: Why don't the Vikings like to eat soup?
A: Because they choke on the bowl

Q: What does a stolen car and the Vikings have in common?
A: No Title

A Packers fan in a bar leans over to the guy next to him and says, "Wanna hear a joke about Vikings fans?" The guy next to him replies, "Well before you tell that joke you should know something. I'm 6' tall and 220 pounds and I'm a Vikings fan. The guy sitting next to me is 6'2" tall, 240 pounds and he's a Vikings fan, and the guy sitting next to him is 6'5", 280 pounds and he's a Vikings fan too. Now, do you still wanna tell that joke?"
The Packers fan says, "Nah, not if I'm gonna have to explain it three times!"

John Miliunas
04-05-2004, 6:58 PM
Hey Kent, in light of my recent visits, I'm going to have to plead the 5th on this one! (ROFLMAO) :rolleyes: :cool:

Tyler Howell
04-08-2004, 6:15 AM

Hey Frank,
The Tees are made in the Minni-apple. I got some for my power tool packin lady friends........ Mom, sister Aunt!
A Local ACE Hardware has them evey now and then. I'll check on details.

TJH

PS Great Trip Great Host. He's got all that stuff and more he let's us peak at every now and them....:D:D:D

Tyler Howell
04-08-2004, 6:25 AM
[QUOTE=Jim Becker]It's nice to visit and be visited, especially with fellow woodworkers! Now, I have to ask you...was Tyler wearing his ear flap hat? :D

BTW, your daughter looks like she means business with those power tools! 'Careful, she'll be wanting tools of her own and you'll have to double the budget...:p
Jim,
No Ear flaps (still the height of fashion and function in ski areas around the world) this time of year.
But I do have to find a way to keep the very top warm during these transitional (SP) times. 'See recent posts.'

I think John's young beauty may move him out and lock the door.:p:p

John, My smoke detector is going off!! :p:p.

Dean Baumgartner
04-08-2004, 10:40 PM
Kent,
Had me LMAO over those.. Thanks!