PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever tried dishwashing detergent?

Curt Fuller
05-06-2008, 10:31 AM
I was reading some very interesting information on bowl designs provided by David Chung, http://www.honoluluwoodturners.org/index_files/hawaiian_bowls.htm and you know how one website links to another and so on until you're way off the subject you first started with. But it's a lot like going on a road trip and getting lost and finding some really neat place you would have missed if you had stayed on the interstate. Anyway, I ran across this website of Ron Kent's who is one oustanding woodturner. While admiring his work I found this on his techniques link http://www.ronkent.com/techniques.php. I've been a DNA guy for a few years and I've had varying luck with the process. But this sounded interesting because it provides (if it really works) more than just a crack relief solution. It seems to help with tearout and sanding also. And it's not some nasty chemical that you have to worry about.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has tried it and had any second opinions. I plan on giving it a whirl myself.

Reed Gray
05-06-2008, 11:19 AM
I have been using it for several years now. I tried the DNA also. I turn thin to final thickness, then let them dry and warp, then sand and finish. I never noticed that the DNA, LDD, or air drying have any measurable differences in drying without cracking, distortion, or speeding up the drying time. I even went to far as to turn 6 bowls, and dry 2 of each with the above methods and weigh them each day. There was no measurable difference. The DNA dried ones seemed harder to sand out, the LDD ones are most definatly easier to sand out, which is why I still do this. Some woods it doesn't make a whole lot of difference, but on problem woods that like to glaze your sanding discs, or burn (cherry, big leaf maple, madrone) it makes a big difference. If you turn thick and then dry, and then return, the above drying methods could yeild different results, but I don't know. If you are returning, you will remove most of the treated wood anyway. Old batches of the soaking material can color the wood you are soaking. When it gets too dark, I throw it away, or drown a few ant colonies.
robo hippy

robert hainstock
05-06-2008, 4:32 PM
Thanks guys for posting. :)
Bob