PDA

View Full Version : Filling a funnel??

Hilel Salomon
05-06-2008, 10:19 AM
I still make them (unintentional funnels that is). Bought a lot of ground stone (turquoise, blue gold, quartz and others, and I'm trying to fill the holes. When the funnel is part of an unfinished bowl w/ enough room to use an expanding chuck, I can almost get it done. When it is a mostly finished bowl where the bottom is very thin and I managed to make a hole in trying to flatten the bottom, I'm not sure what to do. I tried, with not much success to use masking tape, ground stone and thin glue. When using the tape, I tried taping the inside of the bowl or outside, but on the outside, the amount of sanding is unbelievable. Suggestions??
Thanks, Hilel.

robert hainstock
05-06-2008, 10:52 AM
Hilel, I use a 2in forstner as a setip for the expanding chuck, and when I have a breakthrough, I use duct tape on the inside, and turning it over use an epoxy mix (Brownells Accraglas), colored ored with some kind of filler addedto fill the hole. Or on at least one occasion I turned a short pedestal base and finished the piece that way. :):)
Bob

Paul Engle
05-06-2008, 5:40 PM
Hilel, I pretty much do the same and then give em to one of the kids, neighbors , fans at work, LOML, tape off the " inclusion" fill the void with anything that matches or contrasts or what not , turn a pedistal, glue it up put back on lathe make it look nice and do the finishing part. and ... if you put a collor on it w/final ... nice HF....;):cool::D