Has anybody used these?
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32679&cat=1,41182
& if so, what did you think of them?
thanks,

g

Brent Smith
05-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Hi Greg,

I use them. Just remember they are scratch stocks and you have to take small cuts. You'll end up with a decent groove that will need some work with sandpaper to finish.

Ethan Sincox
05-06-2008, 11:10 AM
Brent,

Have you done any honing on the cutters to see if that helps reduce sanding? You don't want to change the profile any, but if you just work both flat sides of each cutter up to 8000 grit on a waterstone, that might help some.

I have these as well, but I only have limited use on them, so I might not be the most knowledgeable person to talk to. Polishing the flats of each cutter did seem to help a little, though.

Brent Smith
05-06-2008, 11:20 AM
Hi Ethan,

Yes I have honed, and polished, the cutters. I may not have been clear in my statement. There is a need for just a bit of touch up sanding. If you use the tool at a the proper angle (which seems to change every time I lay hands on it :) ) there are usually just a few wisps to be sanded away, in straight grain anyway. More convoluted grain will usually need more sanding and a shallower cut on each pass with the tool.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-06-2008, 2:21 PM
Make your own from rusty old saw blades.
Use files or an abrasive metal cutting wheel in a stationary saw (TS) to grind the profiles.

Work like a charm every time.

Bob Coleman
05-06-2008, 3:01 PM
I've seen them made with a slotted flathead screw before. If you angle the screw slot just right the corner of the slot will cut into the wood.

As for the linked version, that seems like a pretty small fence are to keep it square. Does it work out all right?

Jim Becker
05-06-2008, 3:16 PM
I have that setup and it does work, but as stated, small bites. Interestingly enough, I've been thinking about a small table project that I may bead a drawer using this Neander method, rather than using an applied bead, for a more subtle effect.

Jim W. White
05-06-2008, 7:54 PM
I got a set for Christmas and am very happy with it. it does take a little bit of practice though.

...Jim in Idaho