PDA

View Full Version : Inshave Sharpening

Victor Stearns
05-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Greetings,
Just acquired an used inshave. It does not appear to be very sharp. Thus, how does one sharpen this?
Thanks
Victor

Chuck Nickerson
05-06-2008, 1:28 PM
Based on my experience, there are three parts to the answer.
1. I have found no way (worth the trouble) to jig it to help hold the angle constant for both the inside and outside curve. It's freehand all the way. I use a permanent laundry marker on the blade to help guide me.
2. For honing media, you can use anything. If you're a sandpaper guy, glue the sandpaper to the largest dowel you can find for doing the inside curve.
3. If it's in BAD shape, an oscillating spindle sander can jump start the inside curve.

Jim Nardi
05-06-2008, 4:03 PM
I wrap the handles of the scorp in a towel and clamp them in the vise. Those 1" belts from a belt sander work the best IMO. I glue sandpaper to scraps of lumber to sharpen it.

Johnny Kleso
05-06-2008, 4:50 PM
I use sanding drums in my DP and seems to work well..
I have seen others post they use a Dremel..

Bob Glenn
05-08-2008, 10:15 AM
Plus one on the sanding drum in a drill press. That will take care of the heavy work. Next I go to wet dry sand paper wrapped around a dowell with the scorp held in a vise.

Victor Stearns
05-08-2008, 9:38 PM
Thanks for the reply Creekers.
So my next question is the bevel to be created on the outside radius? If I use my drum stander on the inside radius, that leads me to beleive that the bevel is then opposite?
Thanks Again.
Victor

Johnny Kleso
05-09-2008, 3:44 AM
Yes you have two sides ...
The Bevel Side with an angle gruound on it..
The side on the other side or the bevel (the BACK of bevel side)

Bob Glenn
05-09-2008, 9:45 AM
Thanks for the reply Creekers.
So my next question is the bevel to be created on the outside radius? If I use my drum stander on the inside radius, that leads me to beleive that the bevel is then opposite?
Thanks Again.
Victor

The bevel on my scorp is on the outside radius, since I make Windsor chairs and use it to saddle the seats. If the bevel were on the inside radius, it would be harder to control the cut in the dished out areas of the seat. It the same as with a drawn knife. Bevel up will take bigger cuts but with out much control unless you are cutting straight. Bevel down allows you to easily adjust the angle of the blade to the wood.

Remember, a scorp is just a bent draw knife.