PDA

View Full Version : River Birch HF

Bill Bolen
05-05-2008, 9:40 PM
If at first you don't succeedddddd, try Birch. This HF is from a chunk of River Birch cut down last winter from in front of our house. Stands 8 1/2" tall and a bit over 4" wide. So far I only have one coat of wipe on poly on it. 4 or 5 more coats of poly, cure it and buff is the plan. Sure hope that bit of curl in the grain pops out. This is my biggest piece off of my newly made steel snake articulated hollower. My wrists and shoulders sure appreciate a captive hollowing system!...Bill..

Steve Schlumpf
05-05-2008, 10:29 PM
William - that sure is a pretty vase! Beautiful wood grain, color and finish! Looks like your hollowing system works very well! Nice work! Hope you some more of that wood - it just glows!

curtis rosche
05-06-2008, 7:27 AM
how does birch turn? i have a couple peices to try

robert hainstock
05-06-2008, 10:33 AM
Really nicework Bill. the laser, (why not a handheld pointer?) mounted in some kind of holder will really give you confidence in your hollowing, and also improve your anxiety level. Keep them coming. :D
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
05-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Bill great looking piece. That is some nice looking wood.

Bill Bolen
05-06-2008, 12:10 PM
Curtis, Birch turns quite well. Will spalt and go punky fast though. Grain usually seems to disappear with finishing. Guess thats why I wanted the grain to pop on this. It is usually quite subdued..
Robrt, the handhel pointer is what I am working on now. Divising a method to mount to the rod and still adjust easily..You can probably tell I really enjoy home-made tooling! It really makes the finished product much more satisfying...Bill..

Ben Gastfriend
05-06-2008, 4:29 PM
Very nice! You did a good job with getting the grain to pop there, and the form is really nice. Can't wait for more.