PDA

View Full Version : Endgrain Sealer

Dan Williams
05-05-2008, 8:20 PM
I am out of engrain sealer, can I use sanding sealer as I have a few Cedar trees to cut tomorrow ???

Andy Hoyt
05-05-2008, 8:34 PM
Sure, you can use it. But it won't do a thing for you.

In a pinch, you can try some paint.

Bill Bolen
05-05-2008, 8:35 PM
Anything in a pinch to seal it up. Cedar will crack if you look at it wrong. I've used old latex paint in the past...Bill...

Allen Neighbors
05-05-2008, 9:07 PM
Old paint... especially oil based... will work in a pinch.

Bernie Weishapl
05-05-2008, 10:16 PM
Go to Wal-Mart and get you a cheap can of paint. I used some on some logs a year ago and no cracks. I was in a bind the same way.

Dennis Puskar
05-05-2008, 10:54 PM
Or you could mix up some mineral spirits and parafin.

Dennis

Richard Madison
05-05-2008, 11:52 PM
Melted paraffin, if you have a safe way to melt and apply it.

Ron McKinley
05-06-2008, 2:15 AM
Yellow glue like Titebond or Probond works about as well as green wood sealer.........Ron

Geoff Hanha
05-06-2008, 7:17 AM
Yellow glue like Titebond or Probond works about as well as green wood sealer.........Ron

:DOne rich guy, your right about the glue but i would stick to just cheapo pva glue the titebond will just empty your pocket and do no more than a cheap pva.
Like others i have used all types of paint when in a rush or just got a load of wood.
Today i am cut up a pile of logs and then cutting into blanks and waxing them, i have a deap fat fryer that i use either pinch the wifes buy her a new one or just forget to tell her, they work great and are safe, well as safe as most anything eles. Make sure that if you wax them, that leave them as you move them around a min so as the wax penertrates or it will not seal proply, when they dry they should be clearish if they are very opac then there not to good. I buy large church type candles from the supermarket when on specail 2 for 1 you can always fin cheap wax. Just remember the stuff is hot, so make sure you secre the deap fryer down if you use on, and don't turn the heat right up or it will burn. And if you don't tell your wife make sure you clean it out or you will have wax covered fish and chips...:D Geoff