PDA

View Full Version : OOps, she went topless

Bill Bolen
05-05-2008, 8:04 PM
I have been saving this piece of cherry for quite some time because of the really nice grain patterns. Originally I had intended it as a lidded box, but after getting my steel snake articulated hollowing rig finished I decided to make a vase instead. I’ve made 3 of these on the snake and finally felt I was in control enough to risk my stashed piece of cherry. Wrong! Almost done. Hollowed completely and getting rid of those last few pesky ridges inside that have been haunting me. Guess I should have left the ridges! All of a sudden she was topless! I gotta get a laser made for this thing. Oh well…more wood in the stash!…Bill…

Ben Gastfriend
05-05-2008, 8:09 PM
Well, remount it, turn it down, and make a little open vase.

Sorry about the mishap though. From what I hear, the laser makes it easier. Better luck next time.

curtis rosche
05-05-2008, 8:36 PM
take a torch and burn the broken edge, then facke a finial that fits to the top opening, then it will look like a lid

Allen Neighbors
05-05-2008, 9:06 PM
William! What a shame! But what an opportunity, also! I'd glue it down to that slab you have it sitting on, and the broken piece also... just like it is in your center photo.
That's art. I love that photo! :)

Nathan Hawkes
05-05-2008, 9:12 PM
William! What a shame! But what an opportunity, also! I'd glue it down to that slab you have it sitting on, and the broken piece also... just like it is in your center photo.
That's art. I love that photo! :)

I second this idea. Sorry for the mishap!

Bill Bolen
05-05-2008, 9:33 PM
Thanks all! I find curtis's idea very interesting. Think Ill try the torch and insert a lid and finial down into the openning...Bill..

Steve Schlumpf
05-05-2008, 10:33 PM
I'm with Al - that second photo looks like something I would expect to see in a gallery! I would leave it as is!!! You said you have more wood in your stash - use some of it instead. When you decide to get into an Art Expo - this piece set up as in the second photo would work!

Dennis Puskar
05-05-2008, 11:00 PM
What a shame that is a real nice piece.

Dennis

curtis rosche
05-06-2008, 7:27 AM
use the lid you already have from the top just add finial, dont make a new one

Geoff Hanha
05-06-2008, 9:43 AM
Bill i done the same last night before i came in, it was just a bit of waste block from a turning i had just done and thought id turn it up as a little pin holding dish for the wife (lace work) but when i come to cut it of i got to near and there was a nice hole in the base, this was just a silly little bit of wood that would have been a little jam chuck for a small box i was pived for a second. That one hurts:mad:..but as the guys say theres a good few things you can do with it, its all in the save:cool: im sure you will bill..Geoff

robert hainstock
05-06-2008, 9:52 AM
The second pix is pure art as Al and Steve said. Or you have created a natural edge goblet. But either way, it is a finished Piece. IMHO! :D
Bob

Jim Becker
05-06-2008, 10:41 AM
Actually, leave it as-is and display it as you show in the third picture...GREAT conversation piece and still a beautiful work of art.