PDA

View Full Version : Cuban Mahogany

Bernie Weishapl
05-05-2008, 7:11 PM
Here is another HF out of Cuban Mahogany. It is 4" tall and 61/2" across. It is also finished with 6 or 7 coats of lacquer. Again sorry for the pictures as WE were in a hurry.

Steve Schlumpf
05-05-2008, 7:19 PM
Bernie - You been busy!! Beautiful form on this one - looks like one I would like to turn! Great looking wood and love the finish! You are on a roll! Seriously - very nice work!

Bruce Pennell
05-05-2008, 7:23 PM
Very nice looking. Love the form and the wood. Bruce

Allen Neighbors
05-05-2008, 8:00 PM
I also like it, Bernie. I like the way it's enhanced by the bark inclusion at the major curve. Good stuff.
(slow down a little, and you won't be in a hurry all the time. ) :)

curtis rosche
05-05-2008, 8:05 PM
how did you get that?! i thought cuban goods were illegal?! not sheltering any thing else ehh?

Bill Bolen
05-05-2008, 8:11 PM
Didn't know that Cuban Mahogany grew wild in Kansas! You are putting your Monster system to the test and looks to be passing! Beautiful job Bernie...Bill...

Bernie Weishapl
05-05-2008, 10:14 PM
how did you get that?! i thought cuban goods were illegal?! not sheltering any thing else ehh?

Only my cuban cigars. :D:rolleyes:;):cool:

Thanks again for the comments.

This also came from Florida where it grow. It is also some pretty pricey wood. It is some nice turning wood though but not as nice as NFIP. This piece was 5 1/2" long by 7 1/2" across. It ran around $45 shipped.

Richard Madison
05-06-2008, 12:33 AM
That is really PRETTY Bernie. But now we gotta quit using being in a hurry as an excuse for our pictures.

Glenn Hodges
05-06-2008, 12:02 PM
Bernie, I like everything about this one.

robert hainstock
05-06-2008, 3:08 PM
You are batting 400 my friend. Way ro go.:D:D
Bob

Geoff Hanha
05-06-2008, 4:20 PM
Nice Bernie, really nice form looks a great finish to, i have never come across Cuban Mahogany, is it the pics or is it very light in colour or in your language color:D whats it like to turn Bernie, and stop making that bar so high i have trouble getting to it.:D Geoff

Ben Gastfriend
05-06-2008, 4:24 PM
Beautiful wood and form. I really like the inclusion around the peak of the form.

Bernie Weishapl
05-06-2008, 8:21 PM
Nice Bernie, really nice form looks a great finish to, i have never come across Cuban Mahogany, is it the pics or is it very light in colour or in your language color:D whats it like to turn Bernie, and stop making that bar so high i have trouble getting to it.:D Geoff

Geoff the wood is a rich redish brown color. The color you see is it. It is really nice to turn. Actually is a really easy wood to turn. The finish most times I really like is just old rattle can Deft spray lacquer. I am hoping when I retire to get me a HVLP spray gun to do the finishing with and with a lacquer clear coat they use on auto's.

Gary Herrmann
05-06-2008, 9:56 PM
Nice job Bernie. I grew up in S Fl. I heard several of the trees had come down in the last few hurricanes. You're lucky to get to work some. I'll have to look around next time I go visit. Nice form too.

Bernie Weishapl
05-07-2008, 9:39 AM
Nice job Bernie. I grew up in S Fl. I heard several of the trees had come down in the last few hurricanes. You're lucky to get to work some. I'll have to look around next time I go visit. Nice form too.

Thanks. Yep this is also some nice turning wood. I really like it. Larry Hasiak from Florida put me onto it and also onto the NIP. He will be doing demo's in the rotation at Richmond. I already have it down to sit thru 2 of his demo's.

Pete Jordan
05-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Another excellent piece Bernie!

Keep it up!

Dan Oliphant
05-07-2008, 1:02 PM
Bernie
Nice form and wood selection. Very attractive piece.