View Full Version : Jet JML 1014I question

Jamie Cowan
05-05-2008, 6:44 PM
Anyone know why the Jet JML 1014I went up in price $100 at Woodcraft all of a sudden? I had my heart set on that model, never owned a lathe before, so I've been buying everything I need first, lathe last. Figured if I buy a few turning tools over the course of a month or so, sharpen them as I get the opportunity, watch all the videos and read all the books I can get my hands on, then buy the lathe, I'd be in pretty good shape. Well, I'm ready to buy the lathe, and the price went up. I guess I'll probably still get that model (since the Rikon mini lathe also went up in price), a hundred bucks won't ruin my life, but I'm still kind of disappointed. I guess I should ask somebody there, but when I saw the new price tag, I was kind of shocked, and just turned around and left so I could look it up online to see if my eyes were playing tricks on me. Kind of a drag. Anyone know what's up? Any advice? I don't want to give the impression that I'm down on Woodcraft, as the people who work there are very nice and helpful, and I'll still shop there. In fact, I'd rather buy the lathe at my local Woodcraft for the extra money than from Amazon, where it is still at the old price, with free shipping.

Marvin Hasenak
05-05-2008, 7:38 PM
I cannot tell you the reason why Woodcraft went up, but Amazon has the Jet mini on for $250 with free shipping if you have Prime.

Marvin

Russ Peters
05-05-2008, 7:38 PM
Unfortunately as of May 1 all lathes through Woodcraft went up. Actually I think that they went up everywhere by that much per Jet and Rikon due to the decrease in buying power of the dollar and increase in shipping and manufacturing.

Paul Douglass
05-05-2008, 7:44 PM
THAT IS A 25%-30% IN CREASE! I'll look elswhere. Craft Supplies Us still has it at $249.

Bill Bolen
05-05-2008, 8:12 PM
I noticed that today at WC. The Rikon 12" mini jumped $100 also. Guess the $ isn't what it used to be...Bill..

Jamie Cowan
05-05-2008, 8:21 PM
I thought I was being smart by buying the turning tools first, and watching a bunch of dvds and youtube clips, and reading a few books and articles before jumping right in and buying the lathe. I figured that I'd rather already have a good start on tools than buy the lathe and wish I had a skew or a roughing gouge or a scraper, etc. I'm already in on tools about $220, so I guess I move forward. I guess I should have jumped in with 5 or 6 hundred all at once. Guess I have to refigure my plan or something. Ugh.

Bernie Weishapl
05-05-2008, 10:27 PM
I think a lot of this has to do with the dollar hitting rock bottom in the oversea markets. I own a clock repair shop and movements from Germany jumped by 49%. They told me it was the devalued dollar. Until the dollars rebounds I think you will see a lot of stuff jump.

Jamie Cowan
05-05-2008, 10:37 PM
Yikes, Bernie. That's got to hurt. I guess my lathe problem isn't a big deal. Did I mention that I'd even already bought a bunch of stock to practice on? I haven't really noticed any sharp pricing jumps at work yet (wholesale clothing, embroidery, T-shirts and such). I guess I should brace myself.

Paul Douglass
05-05-2008, 11:42 PM
I guess I don't understand. If Amazon still has it at the old price with free shipping, what problem is there. Do you have to buy from woodcraft for some reason. Not trying to be a smarty just wondering.

Jamie Cowan
05-06-2008, 12:00 AM
No, the more I think about it, the more I think Amazon is the way to go. It's just that I'd like to shop for something like this where I can deal with an actual person. Woodcraft might be a chain, and not exactly the same as shopping at the local mom and pop shop, but they do employ people locally. Besides, I really appreciate having them so close by. There aren't all that many woodworking specialty stores around here. If they went out of business because everyone shopped online, I think I'd miss them. They also have really good customer service. That said, I can't really bear the thought of paying an extra hundred dollars suddenly tacked on to a product that hasn't gotten $100 dollars better. So, there it is. No, I don't have to shop at Woodcraft, just hoped I could.

Paul Douglass
05-06-2008, 9:13 AM
Thanks Jamie, I agree with your logic. I'd love to have a woodworking store close by.

Sean Ackerman NY
05-06-2008, 1:43 PM
On May 1st ALL WMH lines (Wilton, Jet, Powermatic) experienced anywhere from a 5-20% increase. That's why you're seeing prices jump. To get these things across the ocean with our dollar is far more expensive than it once was and us dealers are really feeling it. Amazon has old stock, hence the old pricing.

Jamie Cowan
05-06-2008, 6:05 PM
Yeah, I figured that. Thought I posted that idea in response to an earlier post, but I guess not. Looks like I'm shopping for what you'd call "old stock," which is fine by me. As long as they don't call it "vintage," and hike the price to match the new ones.

Doug Jones from Oregon
05-06-2008, 6:19 PM
Jamie, have you thought to ask the store manager if he can help you with the price? You may find him willing to sell at the old price if his stock is old. Remember, most of the these stores are privately owned franchises and are not always required to hold firm to corporate pricing.

Brian Brown
05-06-2008, 8:15 PM
Buy the lathe from Amazon. Don't look back, and don't feel guilty. As you are standing on the edge of the vortex leaning over the edge ready for the plunge, just remember the huge number of dollars you will soon be spending at Woodcraft. Each new discovery will require new tools and wood and books and videos and dust collectors and and and....... :eek: Oh, just leave your wallet there. You won't be buying anything anywhere else ever again. There will be plenty spent there when you simply can't wait for shipping time. Welcome to the vortex. Resistance is futile. There is no way out. :D

Paul Douglass
05-06-2008, 8:33 PM
Buy the lathe from Amazon. Don't look back, and don't feel guilty. As you are standing on the edge of the vortex leaning over the edge ready for the plunge, just remember the huge number of dollars you will soon be spending at Woodcraft. Each new discovery will require new tools and wood and books and videos and dust collectors and and and....... :eek: Oh, just leave your wallet there. You won't be buying anything anywhere else ever again. There will be plenty spent there when you simply can't wait for shipping time. Welcome to the vortex. Resistance is futile. There is no way out. :D

AMEN!!!!!!

Ron Ainge
05-07-2008, 4:57 PM
I just purchased a Powermatic 3520b from Craft Supply because they told me that all of the Jet and Powermatic power tool line was going to go up in price on May 1. I was going to wait another month but with the news that the price was going to go up $200 and that there was a $100 refund from WMH Tool I purchased one before it went up,

John Fricke
05-07-2008, 6:11 PM
I'm no economist but maybe this turn of events could save the USofA a job or 2 because a few CEO's give second thoughts to shipping more manufacturing jobs overseas to save a buck.

keith zimmerman
05-08-2008, 1:01 PM

My feelings exactly. I bought my Jet mini VS from Amazon four years ago and never gave it a second thought. Neither should you. It's called being a smart consumer. We're in a really poor economy right now and we've all got to do whatever is necessary to survive until it recovers.

keithz