PDA

View Full Version : Polycarbonate Glue

Jack Harper
05-05-2008, 6:27 PM
Hello, does anyone have a recommendation for a good polycarbonate glue? I am trying to weld some polycarbonate tubing to a flat piece and need it to melt/adhere for a strong bond. Thanks in advance for the relies.

Sandra Force
05-05-2008, 8:11 PM
I have always used locktite 454 with good results. Polycarb doens't melt much under most situations.

Richard Rumancik
05-06-2008, 2:40 PM
Methylene chloride alone works quite well. It is considered hazardous so make sure you use it under proper ventilation if you go this route. I recommend getting syringes to dispense it. Clamp the parts in the final position, fill the syringe from the bottle, and squeeze some solvent into the gap. It will wick in to the gap. It dries really fast so you can't apply it to the parts and then fit together.

There are some commercial versions that have thickeners added (like dissolving PC crumbs in methylene chloride and making a thicker adhesive.)

Not sure where you can get it; I bought some from a chemical supply house.

Larry Bratton
05-06-2008, 4:34 PM
Hello, does anyone have a recommendation for a good polycarbonate glue? I am trying to weld some polycarbonate tubing to a flat piece and need it to melt/adhere for a strong bond. Thanks in advance for the relies.
According to IPS..Weldon #3 will work.
"#3 - Non-flammable, water-thin, very fast setting, solvent cement for bonding acrylics. Also bonds styrene, butyrate, PETG, and polycarbonate to themselves. Will not bond to cross-linked acrylics.