PDA

View Full Version : How's business??

Craig Hogarth
05-05-2008, 5:25 PM
I am absolutely dead. Had a few sales last week, barely $100.00. I've been able to stay somewhat consistent with a couple wholesale accounts and my b2b stuff, but that's been gone for over a month. One of my wholesale customers has gone out of business and rest of my regular business customers aren't adding any new hires until things pick up. It's amazing how those name tags and plates really add up.

I'm just wondering how everyone else is doing compared to a couple months or a year ago.

On the bright side, I've had more time to work on my website and internet marketing :)

Bruce Volden
05-05-2008, 6:06 PM
I too am pretty much "dead", but I like it!! I moved a year ago to a much more rural setting 35 miles from the "big city" (Sioux Falls). Have lots to do on the farm and then this winter will concentrate on other ventures. I have been able to keep my regular customers though even when they could go more locally so it provides enough to pay the small overhead I need :)

Bruce

Barbara Buhse
05-05-2008, 6:53 PM
Its been pretty quiet here. Much of our real money comes from Paul making big stuff and me doing the engraving for it. We have a few steady, but even this past holiday season was nothing compared to 2006.

BTW, Bruce... did I ask you this once before... but are you near Mitchell SD?

Nancy Laird
05-05-2008, 7:04 PM
I hate to be the one to brag, but....

I've picked up two new customers in the last three weeks - one of them is the management of three different businesses (two golf clubs and a restaurant) for name tags and, knowing how the turnover is in those businesses, it will provide some repeat business.

Two of my long-time customers are still going strong, and my customer who makes dog-related novelties is also sending me lots of business.

Thus far in 2008, I'm about $2K ahead of last year.

Nancy

Stephen Beckham
05-05-2008, 9:03 PM
Honestly - I'm not sure... Running through the pros and cons - I'm half of my last years total gross after four months! Yea!

Well, not really - 2/3 of that came in a two week period and the rest has been dryer than Atlanta last fall...

Got a lot of prospects coming in - but they are either lots of little/low profit type jobs or peoples eyes bigger than their wallets. I love the question "Why are those gold plated oscar looking trophies so expensive?"

I do have some hits coming out of the big city down to little ole me. Apparently - my overhead being lower and prices being lower - they seem to be migrating to a better deal on the purchase even though it's costing a bit more in gas to get here...

Bottom line - I still feel blessed and will keep chuggin' along...

Sean Bullock
05-06-2008, 1:53 AM
For those of you who wish to grow your business and reduce the amount of downtime I would suggest joining as many networking organizations as possible. Your local Chamber of Commerce is an excellent place to gain new contacts. Not to mention the sole reason for their existance is to help you grow your business. In fact, my contact with the chamber today told me that he is there to help my business be a success. You also might try to contact the Small Business Administration (SBA). This is a free service to help small businesses grow. Lots of great advice and years of experience from the volunteers.

Business Networking International (BNI) is also money well spent. This is an international organization of networks who prefer to do business with other members. Realtors, insurance, promotional products, unique gifts, book scrappers, auto repair, etc. These are the types of people you will find with BNI. Think of all the awards and plaques, signage, rubber stamps and promotional items you can supply for these people.

There is really no excuse for being slow. It is as simple as this: the more you network the more money you make.

One more thing. As mentioned above, these idle times are an excellent opportunity to develop your website, which is absolutely vital to growing your business. There is no excuse for not having one. You can build one yourself for free and it is no more difficult than learning Word or Excel. I mean simple. And in a matter of a few hours you can have your own website. Within a week you can have a professional looking website that YOU have complete control over. Change it any time you like. There is no code to learn. Both Yahoo and Microsoft have free website software available.

This is how I made mine and it has exponentially increased my business.

Well, maybe I shouldn't have told you that. It means more competition for me.

Okay, forget everything I have told you. It is better to be sedentary anyway.

Relax.

No pressure.

Craig Hogarth
05-06-2008, 4:32 AM
Our chamber has always been good to us. We're looking to join another one in another county. But every chamber is different. We checked out one in the south part of our county and we saw no benefit of joining. The businesses in that area are notoriously unfriendly towards other businesses.

I have a different view of BNI (and LeTip) than you do Sean. It may be different across different regions, but the ones in my area expect a lot of referrals/business from you before they start to give back. My wife spoke with one group that's all women (unsure of name, but not soroptomist or venture) and she'll most likely be joining.

One thing my wife just got busy with is merchantcircle.com It's sorta like a facebook for businesses. I haven't really looked at it personally, but I've seen her email and she's been talking a lot with businesses she's met there.

The downtime is great for getting caught up in other areas of the business, but it's not paying the bills :(

Frank Corker
05-06-2008, 4:34 AM
Actually even on this side of the globe things are quiet. I think everyone is feeling the pinch one way or the other. If things continue the way they are I might have to go back into prostitution but I don't know how much I'd be worth these days.

Luke Phillips
05-06-2008, 5:23 AM
Actually even on this side of the globe things are quiet. I think everyone is feeling the pinch one way or the other. If things continue the way they are I might have to go back into prostitution but I don't know how much I'd be worth these days.

Hmmmm - how much will you pay me? :eek:

Frank Corker
05-06-2008, 6:11 AM
I think it's going to have to be an awful lot!

Joe Pelonio
05-06-2008, 8:16 AM
Overall on the retail side it is down, I too have had regular customers go under in the last few months. Thankfully some of my wholesale customers have kept me busy, along with the customers preparing for events as summer approaches. The biggest drop is in new home construction related work. I have also noticed more customers being budget minded, looking for lower cost alternatives. Just last Friday I did add a new wholesale customer with good traffic, and placed a display on their counter. One name badge job so far.

Mike Null
05-06-2008, 8:40 AM
Other than a slow March mine has been very strong. Just added a new client last week for plaques. Order was about $800 but have a good chance to pick up branches in three other cities as a result.

I was recently asked to bid on annual academic awards for a Catholic girls school--about 150 awards, low end variety. I was awarded that business and will be ordering materials today.

I recently bid on a 5000 t-shirt order but client (national charity) decided to stay with one from their national whse. I was lower in price but I guess they got cold feet. (I worked a better deal with my screen printer and called my shirt supplier for better prices and decided to work on a $ .41 per shirt net. I had the business but the exec. dir. changed her mind at the last minute. All I had to do was rent a truck for delivery.) If you think that's too cheap my net would have been $2000 after renting the truck.

There is no question people are shopping for low price though.

Wil Lambert
05-06-2008, 9:05 AM
We have been slow this year. The engraving side has been the slowest but the contract modeling keeps us a float.

Wil

Scott Shepherd
05-06-2008, 11:03 AM
I have a different view of BNI (and LeTip) than you do Sean. It may be different across different regions, but the ones in my area expect a lot of referrals/business from you before they start to give back.

That's the concept behind it, hence the motto "Giver's Gain". You have to give to get. It's a mentality you have to embrace. If everyone says they won't give referrals until they get them, then you're in a standoff. Someone HAS to give first. The more you give, the more you get. You really have to change the thought process from what's in it for me to how you can help others. The numbers support their claims. Where else can you spend $400 and get $20,000-$30,000 worth of work a year? No place I've found.

Mark Winlund
05-06-2008, 11:30 AM
Dead, dead, dead in the water. Massive layoffs here. Hewlett Packard has a plant here; a year ago they had 6000 employees.... today, 2000 employees. They are about to lay off half of those! Even the state supported university here is in trouble. We deal with the mid level people... mostly clerical. Two thirds of them are gone, with the remaining people doing 3 times the work that they used to. Retirement awards are now pieces of paper rather than plaques.

The local chamber of commerce is more interested in getting your membership fee than doing anything else. ...their activities don't amount to much.... mostly sponsoring golf outings. Our city is known nationally for trying to keep out businesses that do not fit the agenda. No factories allowed. Or Wal-mart. Or shopping malls. Road funds are spent on bicycle paths. The city council is packed with retired professors from the university.

Not a pretty sight! Hard times are here, and getting worse.

Mark

Darren Null
05-06-2008, 1:46 PM
Dead. The South of Spain is pretty slow at the best of the times, but now the EU money has stopped on top of the crisis everyone else is having.

I'm gonna put fur inside my volvo and pimp for Frank. Got the hat. 5p a go...it all mounts up (sic).

Dan Hill
05-06-2008, 2:23 PM
Even though the economy seems flat or worse here in NH, I have had an overwhelming incerase in sales. New accounts comming in and old ones finding more for me to do. It probably will not last but I'll go along for the ride while it does.
Dan Hill:)

Darren Null
05-06-2008, 2:54 PM
(Removed moderately tasteless pimp joke).

Anthony Welch
05-06-2008, 9:00 PM
We attended a local craft show this past Saturday and did pretty well. But we had more requests for what a CNC router can do. Shucks!....I don't have a CNC router....yet!

AL Ursich
05-06-2008, 10:11 PM
I am into my 2nd year so I am still developing customers and capabilities. Big Loss last year. I multi task with Laser, and Rotary engraving along with V Carving, Sublimation, CLTT and Wood Working. Just a one man shop. Adding a Graphtec FC7000 plotter to the mix next week to make stickers for the Fire Departments and EMS. Going to be an interesting year. I added doming too that will make a more durable Fire or EMS reflective stickers for a "better mouse trap".

We will see..... I am carrying a $4K loss into next year and I have already made half of what I made last year.

I even make Quilt and Wine Racks and Tourist stuff. The Metal 911 signs with reflective stickers have been a steady source and getting the ability to make Street Name Signs next week with High Intensity Prism Reflective will add a new revenue source with all the driveways being named for 911 numbering.

Problem is that I am Zoned Low Impact and can never have any employees or sales at the shop. If I want to expand it will be a pile of paperwork and changing the Zoning and that will never happen.

This is just a Business to keep me out of trouble in my Navy Retirement years.... And have FUN..... It "would" be nice to pay off the equipment.....:rolleyes: I Owe, I Owe.... It's OFF to WORK I GO.....:D

AL

Frank Corker
05-07-2008, 4:51 AM
Well it looks a little gloomy for just about everyone at the minute. Let's keep our fingers crossed that it get's better and not worse!

Ed Lang
05-07-2008, 8:00 AM
Sounds like we all need to work together, helping each other in new and different ways.

For example, I have a complete woodworking shop and am in it full time. I have CNC and laser equipment. I would rather stay in my shop, and not go out and find customers or do shows. Some like to go door to door and sell. Some like to design but don't manufacture or market.

With the above in mind, I see a group of folks working together, designing, manufacturing and marketing a product or products. Everyone is getting paid and is happy. The one big thing that has to be worked out first is finding the right mix of folks, who are willing to work with a group. I know there are folks who want the whole slice of the pie or don't want to share something because it might not make them some money. Those are the ones who will not fit in this type of plan.

One example might be for example.... I make some type of plaque, frame or box that is able to be engraved. I don't engrave them, but provide them to the next guy with the engraver only. Then the next guy found the sale for the item.

I expect someone will say that there is not enough profit to have this multi-tier plan. It will be if the right product is used. Also the folks in the chain have to share the profit. If I try to get most of the profit for example, then it will fail. I will not be making my product and I'll have no income. It would be a lot better to have cash flow than none. I see folks all the time that would rather have nothing than have something. I am not saying to charge so little you lose. This is worse than having no work but making $100 today is better than making $0.00

Here is planning for success in 2008
ed

Bill Morrison
05-07-2008, 9:28 AM
I can only work part time so I don’t have the same issues as full time business but I give away photos I burn on birch. But it’s free if they show it around. I only do that at places where there are a lot of workers.
Public utilities - in their offices. Lowes, Home Depot, Department of licensing, State Patrol, etc. I have samples of other stuff that I keep in my truck after I tell them what else I make I can go get it and show them.

Even if they don’t want a photograph it is something that gets their attention and shows them that you are in a business that creates things with a laser. Being retired, this works for me and keeps me busy but I wanted to put my 2 cents in in the hopes maybe it might give you full timers an idea.

I do wish all of you good fortune, everyone has been so helpful and willing to give their time and knowledge helping me solve issues.
Bill

Rob Bosworth
05-07-2008, 11:15 AM
OK, I tried to keep my lip zipped, but as my wife knows, I am not very good at that.

Here is my theory on a slowdown in business. It is very easy to sit back and dwell on how things suck. I do it! You do it! We all do it!. But where does it get you. When things slow down, and not just a seasonal slow down, it is time to re-evaluate what you are doing and how you are doing it. Rather than pine on the "poor is me" aspect of our lives, it is time to rise up and re-invent your business. Look at what you are doing. Look at your facility. Look at profitable jobs and the ones that you hate doing, but do because it generates some "business". You should emphasize a new direction. Read all of these opinions on forums for new ideas. Attend some new area gatherings with other business people for new ideas. Set some new routines that will help motivate that creative side of yourself. You got into business for yourself because you thought you could do a better job at something others are doing.

One thing that has helped us in our business and our daily lives. The Queen and I sit down every evening to look at what positive happened that day. During this talk, we only cover positives for the day. It is amazing how many positives happen in a day, even those days that you feel like you have been horsewooped all day long. It is amazing how that simple little exercise helps keep you motivated. It takes just as long to dwell on the positives as it takes to dwell on the negatives, and makes you feel a hell of a lot better.

Phyllis Meyer
05-07-2008, 2:00 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have been pondering this for a few days, and I try to really think about things before I say them, but...I'm a woman and I usually just say it!

There is no doubt there is a serious problem happening in our country, and there are no quick solutions to them. I will obey the rules and not get into Religion and Politics, but I think I can say without offending anyone that I do have a strong faith, and my family will not accept the doom and gloom that the media tells us to listen to. Now, we watch all news (both conservative and liberal), and we don't have our heads in the sand. I don't like the grocery bills these days, I don't like the total at the gas pump, or the housing crisis...but I do believe that we will come out of this stronger and wiser!

The question was: "How is Business"? I wrote some time ago, one of our mottos is: "Failure is not an option"! We have come upon our 2 year mark, and we have worked our behinds off to say, we will continue and believe that our business will succeed! If sales are down in one area, we go in a different direction. We will not limit our business to one specific line, we have to be as flexible as our customers are with their tighter budgets. We have had many days where we look at each other and think "what are we doing"? But...then a customer calls and it brings us back to reality. And if the phone doesn't ring, I go out and get business. I will knock on doors, and there isn't a business I will not go into with samples. We can start a post on our best marketing techniques, and I do agree with Rob, we have to read, and try some of the ideas we read about! If my business is down, I will blame myself and no-one else! I also am thankful for my husband, our two daughters, and the fact that if we don't make that million (but we believe we will), we are healthy, and are breathing today, and you are because you are reading this...you are rich beyond belief! Now let's all get to work, thanks for letting me rant...it's been awhile!

Sincerely,
Phyllis:)

Scott Shepherd
05-07-2008, 3:00 PM
I think Phyllis nailed it. If business is down, what are you doing to grow your way out of it? Do you sit by the phone and wait for it to ring? Do you sell the exact same thing today you did a year ago? There's so much more to running a successful business than doing the "work" part of it.

If your business is trending downwards, it's time to look at your business plan and figure out different revenue streams. If things are slow in your town, go to the next town. Down in your region? Go outside the region. The internet is available to all and opportunities are out there. I know people go outside their states because I bid against them in my own state.

Anyone want good reading, read some of Dr. Deming's work on manufacturing and business.

Chris Stites
05-07-2008, 3:27 PM
Our business has also seen a dramatic falloff in orders and in customer interest. We even had one of our (formerly) trusted customers walk out on a $500 debt. We also know of two competitors who have gone out of business.

We have been making high-end wooden boxes with wooden jigsaw puzzles and high school student parent appreciation plaques. Both of these markets seem to have evaporated.

We are now trying to redefine our market. Our belief is that we need a product that is innovative and inexpensive (clever and cheap). But, I'm guessing that everyone is trying to find that "pet-rock" niche. If anyone has any suggestions for the next "big" thing (like dog tags were) I'd love to hear.

Cheers!

Joe Pelonio
05-07-2008, 6:26 PM
When opportunity knocks, answer the door.

One customer has been using a lot of water-jet cut PVC letters with brushed gold aluminum laminated on top (done by another vendor). I have been laser cutting card stock to use as mounting templates for use all over the country as they open new stores or add new products.

They have been looking for a way to cut costs (like everyone else) so after I did various samples they settled on the 1/8" black acrylic with brushed gold metalized poly film on it, and adhesive on the back. Now I get to do the entire job instead of just the templates. They save money and I make more!

This font takes a while to cut though, lots of points.

Scott Shepherd
05-07-2008, 6:52 PM
Joe, I think your laser needs a tune up, it sure can't cut a straight line :)

Cool idea and nice looking. Is that for inside or outside use?

Joe Pelonio
05-07-2008, 6:55 PM
Joe, I think your laser needs a tune up, it sure can't cut a straight line :)

Cool idea and nice looking. Is that for inside or outside use?
Inside! They would work outdoors but the poly film would only last about 2 years.

AL Ursich
05-08-2008, 10:26 AM
Now I get the joke.... Had to log in to see the picture.

911 Signs..... A easy new product that could work well in some areas is the metal 911 signs. I do the blue and green reflective signs with 4 inch reflective letters on them.

They are 6 x 18 and I use pre stamped numbers and make them on the spot. You simply lay out the letters on top of the sign with the backing still on it and get the position. I use 2 six inch rulers on each end to help.

Then place a piece of masking tape on one end of the letter to act as a hinge. Check placement one more time. Fold the letter back and remove the backing and press the letter in place. Some areas like here are just getting 911 number assignments.

I get my blanks from Grimco.com my contact is Penny. pehlen@grimco.com

The letters come in pre cut packs of 25 for less than $5.00 if you order 25 packs. Get a bunch of 1's as they will be the first to go. I give $2.00 per sign to my local Fire Dept and we both win.

This lead me to getting a plotter to make Street Signs too. With the Street Signs they need the new thick diamond Prism reflective material. Since it is harder to cut they came up with a different way to make them. The sign blank has white prism reflective on it. With a plotter you cut the thin film of blue or green with the sign name letters being weeded out. When applied the blue or green is reflective from the white under it and the letters are at full brightness.

Just an idea....

AL

Bill Cunningham
05-08-2008, 11:47 PM
It's funny, My wife and I live on what seems to be a 'tread water' financial situation.. If the money rolls in, so do the unexpected bills ..treading water.. If a big bill comes in, the money shows up to cover it..treading water... This has been so consistent over the years, it's freaky.. So this spring I tried a 'dangerous' experiment.. I spent...and Spent.. New compressor, corel X4, Sandblast equipment, new scanner, even bought a complete brand new outdrive for my boat, and ordered a new heating system for the house (getting off oil, for gas before it costs me 3 grand for heat next winter) and guess what!!! I have just had the best April I've had in 20 years, and May has started out the same..I have not stopped in 5 weeks, one job after another, and 8 more backed up behind it..I'm now telling most customers, it will be at least a week before I can even look at their project.. The U.S$ is down, so my shipments to the U.S. have dropped a bit, but my Canadian customers have quadrupled this year.. I can't complain at all 'yet' .. But, as we all know it's feast or famine.. Right now I'm in 'feast' next month may be famine.. All things considered, it's better to be a ant than a grasshopper I guess...

Frank Corker
05-09-2008, 5:30 AM
I have just had the best April I've had in 20 years, and May has started out the same..I have not stopped in 5 weeks

Oh great, so now we know why none of us are having any luck, Bill here is hogging it all :mad:

Vicky Orsini
05-09-2008, 8:05 AM
Hey, Bill, if you need a hand, feel free to send some of your overflow my way! ;) I'm currently in the "famine" cycle, with no feast in sight. And your "treading water" theory isn't working on me. Just had a $1200 repair on my car ... still waiting for the $1200 contract to cover it! :(

Rob Bosworth
05-09-2008, 9:38 AM
Bill, sounds like self employment. Feast or famine. It seems the peaks and valleys are a little more severe in the last year. We have practiced the feast and famine business model for years, they just seem to be more drastic lately. Glad to hear you are happy and fat, today.

Bill Cunningham
05-15-2008, 10:13 PM
I passed your info on to a young lady named Gemma today Frank.. Im not sure where in the UK she is, but Your a LOT closer than I am.. I have not heard back from her hope she gets in touch.. Vicky starting up is tough, I'll bet I was 5 years before I drew anything from the business, My wife had a house cleaning business at the time, and she was raking it in so we got by.. Due to her partners poor health, they retired the business last year. So it's all on me now.. And Rob.. Yup yer right. I 'am' happy and Fat (hmmm can he see me?:eek:) Today.. But I'm also a realist, next month is probably going to be totally dead, and I'm saving up for it.. Like I said, it's better to be an ant than a grasshopper..

Frank Corker
05-16-2008, 4:51 AM
Thanks Bill, I'll let you know if she comes back to me. I'm glad you're doing well.