PDA

View Full Version : Morels in the lawn

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-05-2008, 1:22 PM
Got a bucket full of morels in the lawn.
Yumm

David Epperson
05-05-2008, 1:40 PM
you suck. :D
Just kidding...But this would qualify as a gloat post..If there were pictures. :D

Richard M. Wolfe
05-05-2008, 3:08 PM
Or until Cliff eats some and then sees the bucket float ten feet off the ground, change colors and start talking to him. :D

Anthony Anderson
05-05-2008, 3:32 PM
Yumm

Sure you have morels growing in your lawn;)...Sure you do;):D. And that grass that is in your front lawn, is really Kentucky Bluegrass too, isn't it:D? Pictures, anyone see pictures???

Man that is just not fair! I love those things. My Dad and I used to pick them out in the woods, when I was a kid. I keep saying that I am going to make it back to my hometown one spring, just so we can pick morels. But I didn't make it again this year:rolleyes:. Congrats on your find! Bill

Glenn Clabo
05-05-2008, 5:15 PM
That explains it...:eek::D

Mitchell Andrus
05-05-2008, 6:08 PM
Or until Cliff eats some and then sees the bucket float ten feet off the ground, change colors and start talking to him. :D

Oh, my... I needed that... LOL

David G Baker
05-05-2008, 7:47 PM
I checked my place and none are out yet. Talked to a friend that lives 10 miles away and he picked 5 one gallon buckets full over the past two days. He said that it is the best year he has ever seen on his property.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-05-2008, 7:56 PM
My missus is likely afraid to eat 'em.
More for me.

I get false morels in the fall too.

Andy Hoyt
05-05-2008, 8:24 PM
I get false morels in the fall too. Why? Is that when you get back to your law practice? :D

Reed Wells
05-05-2008, 8:35 PM
Are those majikmushrooms? lolol

Ken Fitzgerald
05-05-2008, 11:09 PM
Cliff....congrats! Morels are food fit for a king in my book.

In 1982 we moved to Idaho. 2 years later I met some locals and began elk hunting in a serious way. The following spring, the guy called us up and invited my wife and I to go morel hunting with him and his wife. We came home with 250 morels that day. My FIL had a established a family tradition in Illinois where my wife was raised.........morels......fresh sweet corn.....fresh tomatoes and fresh walleye...."The meal"...As she prepared those morels she stated "Now this feels like home!" That was 24 years ago. Idaho still feels like home!

Rob Bodenschatz
05-05-2008, 11:26 PM
I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

Joe Chritz
05-06-2008, 2:34 AM

Wrong shrooms friend.

But if your selling I'm buying.

I love morels with a bunch of butter and a tad of flour. MMMMM good!

Joe

Peter Stahl
05-06-2008, 5:03 AM
I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

Did a Google of them. Wild type of Mushroom. I worked for a Chemist that loved all different type of wild mushrooms. He said just make sure you know what you're picking. Not sure if the Morels these guys are talking about look exactly like this though.

Jim Sears
05-06-2008, 7:06 AM
I love mushrooms. The only two that I feel safe eating are the Morels and what we call "dogpeckers" or "spikes". I have a small woods behind my house, and look every year. But have never found any in there. It might be a little too wet. I did find one all by itself by a tree next to the house one year, but none since. The best mushroom find that I have ever made was one year 4 friends of mine and I went bear hunting in Canada. In between hunts, we would fish for a while and then drive the logginng trails in a jeep. The 'schrooms were so big, all you had to do was drive real slow, and look just inside the woodline for them. At the end of the day, we would have fried fish, fried potatos and mushrooms for supper. Life was good.;)

Rob Bodenschatz
05-06-2008, 7:53 AM
Thanks Peter. I guess I could have googled it myself but I kind of enjoyed not knowing. ;)

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-06-2008, 8:06 AM
Did a Google of them. Wild type of Mushroom. [..] Not sure if the Morels these guys are talking about look exactly like this though.

Yah dass iss da one. The false morel is solid inside and usually uglier. The real ones are hollow and the base (when you slice it lengthwise) runs the whole gamut up around the cap inside.

Good eatin'
You can prepare 'em in lots of different dishes as they are sturdy little fungi. The most common recipe you'll fine online if dredged and sauted but, they are a very flexible 'schroom with enough flavor to use in lots of ways.

Jim Becker
05-06-2008, 9:52 AM
Very kewel. I mentioned this to Professor Dr. SWMBO last night. She had an acquaintance that bought a property awhile back that had a patch of morels growing annually...it was in the specific area where an old goat used to live. Nowhere else on the entire farm-sized property...just there.

So it sounds like you have a "goldmine" for this particular 'shroom...

Kyle Kraft
05-06-2008, 11:56 AM
I had half a lunch sack of them this morning alongside my eggs and canadian bacon.....truly the breakfast of champions! Fortunately my kids think they're weird looking and gross.:)

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-06-2008, 2:19 PM

This is my first year with a pile of these. Occasionally there were one or two but that was about it.

If you have enough of them you can trot them off to your local $600.00-a-dinner-for-two-type restaurant and the head chef may give you as much as $60 - $80 a pound and ask you to get more.

It's a nice way to get paid for a pleasant walk out of doors.

Peter Stahl
05-07-2008, 6:43 AM
Very kewel. I mentioned this to Professor Dr. SWMBO last night. She had an acquaintance that bought a property awhile back that had a patch of morels growing annually...it was in the specific area where an old goat used to live. Nowhere else on the entire farm-sized property...just there.

Jim,

There are mushroom farms in the area near where I work. The use a lot of horse waste to grow them in. Probably why the grow well in a old wooded area, ground is very fertile. Guess the goat did a good job fertilizing.

Russ Filtz
05-07-2008, 8:24 AM
Grew up in MO, and that brings back fond memories of going morel hunting. We'd bring back sacks full to Granny. She'd soak them to get rid of ants (I guess they like the crevices), and then fry them. Not sure if they were lightly breaded or not. She may have also used butter, not sure. They were like heaven. Can't even remember the last time I had one, or even how they taste anymore. :D :(

Lance Norris
05-07-2008, 7:13 PM
Yumm

I dont know what the big deal is... I have one that grows at my back door.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/weblance/woodshop172.jpg