PDA

View Full Version : G0490 Byrd vs Grizz head

Dan Lautner
05-05-2008, 12:13 PM
I can get the Grizz. G0490 with their head for 1222 or with the Byrd head for 1310 delivered. I would have to install the byrd head myself which I was told is fairly simple by Grizzly. Is it worth the extra $90 plus installation for the byrd. How difficult is this installation? I will be jointing a good amount of cocobolo as soon as I get it set up. Thanks for any advise.

Dan

Joe Jensen
05-05-2008, 5:13 PM
I have two Byrd heads. I just upgraded my 8" PM jointer Saturday from a Tersa type to a Byrd. I am COMPLETELY thrilled with them. I read all threads on the spiral heads and I don't remember anyone who has both Grizzley and Byrd. As an engineer, the shear cutting angle of the Byrd makes total sense to me. If I were facing that decision I'd gladly spend the $90...joe

Jay Jolliffe
05-05-2008, 5:46 PM
Does anyone know if they make a byrd head for the Jet 16" planer. I've seen one for the 15" but not for the 16".....If not I wonder if the 15" would fit the 16"?

Dan Lautner
05-05-2008, 6:23 PM
"Does anyone know if they make a byrd head for the Jet 16" planer?"

The last time I spoke with Byrd, they seemed to be able to make a head for almost any size planer or jointer.

Dan

glenn bradley
05-05-2008, 7:17 PM
I asked this question about two weeks ago: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=82416 Seems the folks who have Byrds like them and the folks who have Grizzlys like them. In another discussion, a member had Griz on the jointer and Byrd on the planer and saw no real difference. Decisions, decisions.

Joe Jensen
05-05-2008, 7:26 PM
One more thought. They Byrd heads use a special carbide insert from Bryd. They cost like $2.75 each when I surfed the WEB. I don't know what the inserts for the Griz head cost, but it looks like they are generic so they could be a lot cheaper.

Having said that, I have used the Byrd head in the planer in my hobby shop for 2 years. I start with all rough sawn lumber so I get my share of dust/dirt running through the knives. I can't tell any sharpness difference between the side of the insert I'm using and the other three. With the Powermatic bi-metal knives I would have sharpened them once or twice already.

I won't likely have to change the inserts for 10-15 years so cost really isn't an issue...joe

Brent Grooms
05-05-2008, 8:39 PM
One more thought. They Byrd heads use a special carbide insert from Bryd. They cost like $2.75 each when I surfed the WEB. I don't know what the inserts for the Griz head cost, but it looks like they are generic so they could be a lot cheaper.
Sorry Joe... in looking at the pricing on Griz's site they are about the same price and depending on which of Grizzly's heads you are buying them for, can be double the price of the Byrd inserts. When I get around to upgrading my planer, I will be getting a Byrd so I only have to keep track and stock one type of insert.

Joe Jensen
05-05-2008, 9:23 PM
Sorry Joe... in looking at the pricing on Griz's site they are about the same price and depending on which of Grizzly's heads you are buying them for, can be double the price of the Byrd inserts. When I get around to upgrading my planer, I will be getting a Byrd so I only have to keep track and stock one type of insert.

Good for me as I bought TWO Byrd heads and ZERO Grizzly heads :cool:

Mac Cambra
05-05-2008, 9:36 PM
I have a Byrd head in my 8" jointer and a Grizzly head in my 20" planer - I like them both and am completely satisfied. I have to say I don't see much difference if at all in the cut quality. What I will say is that the cutter inserts for the Byrd seems more substantial, thicker, more carbide behind the cutter edge, that being the case I would think tougher.

I have had to rotate a few of the inserts on the planer, it is less than a year old. I have yet to have to rotate any of the cutters on the Byrd, it is roughly 2 years old. I think this supports my observation with respect to the cutter inserts.

I installed the Byrd head and it was easy, the hardest part is pressing on the bearings and that is not that difficult. I say go for the Byrd.

Gary Herrmann
05-05-2008, 9:48 PM
I've also got two Byrd heads and am very happy with them.

However, you have to ask yourself if you want to go through the effort to replace the head. My jointer was easy, the planer was a pain.

I still haven't sold the original heads. Anyone want to buy a General 480 or General 130 head?

I'm sure you'll be happy with either one.

JayStPeter
05-06-2008, 12:52 PM
What I think you're buying for the extra $90 is a backup straight knife cutterhead. One of my concerns when I bought a Byrd head for my jointer was what happens in 20 years. What if Byrd goes out of business and I need new inserts.
I had been considering a 15" planer and looking at this same situation. It seems like many of the jointers and planers in the Grizzly catalog that have spiral head options use different replacement inserts. They must be supporting a dozen different part numbers for packs of inserts. If they all used the same inserts I'd have less concern, but how long is Grizzly going to support dozens of different inserts (if they are indeed different, no real knowledge there but definitely lots of different part numbers for 10 packs of inserts). I'd spend the $90 just so I had the straight knife cutterhead around if the inserts ever become unavailable. I won't sell my original jointer cutterhead for this reason.

Jay

glenn bradley
05-07-2008, 2:30 PM
I can get the Grizz. G0490 with their head for 1222 or with the Byrd head for 1310 delivered. I would have to install the byrd head myself which I was told is fairly simple by Grizzly. Is it worth the extra $90 plus installation for the byrd. How difficult is this installation? I will be jointing a good amount of cocobolo as soon as I get it set up. Thanks for any advise.

Dan

I have some recent info on this as I just placed an order. The Griz head picture you show is not the head that comes on the G0490X (catalog error). The pic shown with the G0593 is actually the "new" German made head that comes on the G0490:
http://www.grizzly.com/images/pics/jpeg288/g/g0593_det1.jpg (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0593/images/1)
The picture you show is of an old head that is no longer sold per Grizzly tech-support about 5 minutes ago.